IGNORED

Sick cat

Sola

It's 1.50am here and hubby has just had to take the cat to the emergency vets.

About an hour ago he got up to go to the toilet and he heard the cat (Jack) making a horrendous noise downstairs. When he got down there he found Jack collapsed on side, laboured breathing, yowling and yelping very loudly and looking very distressed. Shortly after that Jack vomited and then defecated where he was laid. Just after that he started foaming at the mouth.

Rang the emergency vet who thinks he might have been poisoned. She told us to bring him in. Obviously I've got to stay here as the kids are in bed so hubby has taken him.

Can't go back to bed, I'm just worried sick.

It was an asthma attack! Apparently he has asthma, I never knew cats could have asthma. It is a huge relief that he wasn't poisoned. We've got to see how it goes really, but if it happens again he will have to go in asthma medication (inhalers - eek!).

Hubby got home at 3.30am, Jack was admitted to the animal hospital overnight. He was given steroids and anti-biotics and then observed. They phoned us at lunchtime and said we could collect him; he's quiet and quite subdued since coming home. Fingers crossed it was a one off.

Eeep! I was so afraid to see your update in this thread. Glad it sounds like it's not too serious!

Yeah, cats can have asthma. One of mine has it, but not too bad. He had to get shots for about a year, and now he mostly seems fine. He never threw up because of it or anything. He just made funny "huffing" noises, kind of like he was going to cough up a hairball, but kind of different.

I'm going to lose my mind pretty soon here. :( He's got diarrhea again, and it seems to be more watery. It was getting better for awhile there.

I'd be less stressed out if I also didn't have a flat tire. How am I supposed to get him to the vet? For that matter, how am I supposed to get a new tire!? *sigh* I guess my dad could help...

I am so stressed out it isn't even funny. :(

I have registered for the board because I saw your post and wanted to offer my best wishes for your cat.

One of my cats has asthma, she was diagnosed a little over a year ago. She is treated with a variety of inhalers and oral meds as her condition has been severe at times. There has been one emergency room visit for oxygen. Currently she is breathing well but it depends a lot on the pollen count.

I tried to send a PM to offer my email address if you would ever like to correspond on this matter. But I could not find a way to do it. Right now I will just suggest this website:

http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

It has a lot of good resources.

Asthma attacks are often mistaken for attempts to 'hack up' a hairball or for simple coughing spells.

Wow, my kitty's lucky that his is not that bad! Actually, the last poster mentioned the pollen count, and that reminded me: my cat's asthma was bad (well, not "bad," but bad enough for shots) when we lived in my (newly-built) condo. And it went away when we moved into my husband's 40-year-old house. So I think it was related to some chemicals used in construction, or could be the carpet, paint, sealants, etc.

Thanks. I'm hauling him back to the vet this afternoon. Although I took his food away for about 12 hours, and then fed him easy-on-the-tummy food for awhile, and just let him have his regular food this morning. That seemed to help.

• 3 years later...

My feline headship is 18 years and eight months old, and I raised her from a five-day-old orphan. I love her so much, and my fiance tells me it's obvious how much she loves me.

Unfortunately, she developed chronic kidney disease and crashed several times last year. This week it happened again, and I actually thought she had a stroke because she lost control of one side of her body.

She's at the vet for the weekend. I totally lost it twice, once at home cuddling her, then again at the vet's where they fortunately had an empty exam room I could cry in with her. I asked them to call me right away if she was going downhill so I could take her home. There are vets that come to your house for euthanasia, and I don't want her to die alone and in a place that terrifies her. I left the pillowcase off my bed (since it has my scent on it) and her favorite toy, so at least she has familiar things..

Things are looking up, but I'm trying not to let myself hope too much. She's getting IV fluids and potassium as she was severely deficient (common with CKD, but she's never been this bad before). I'm told she's perked up, has been eating, and is napping. She's really a resilient cat, and I think she has a good chance of pulling through and leading a happy life for a little while longer.

Here she is with her "Jackson Pollack fish." It's not her favorite, but it's from the same line of catnip toys so she is OK with it.

uploadfromtaptalk1426920440414.jpg

You sound very devoted, and your fiancee sweet. What's her name?

It's nice that she's overcome the stress of the vet visits to recover multiple times. Vets can be wonderful about letting you sit with ill animals.

<>

Thanks. :)

I visited her yesterday and it was heartbreaking. She's angry and depressed. She started growling and hissing when the tech opened her cage, and didn't stop for a few moments until she really realized it was me. I petted her and she just rested her head in my hand for a while. :( It broke my heart. Then she perked up, ate a bunch, drank a bunch, and let me pet her for a long while.

She'll be coming home tomorrow and my goal is to help her have a good quality of life as long as I can.

Glad to hear she's feeling a bit better.

I am so very sorry to hear about your kitty. I've had mine almost a year and already can't imagine life without them. Eighteen years is amazing, I hope you have more happy times ahead.

I'm so sorry about your cat. :( I hope she gets better and you two get some more time together. 18 years is amazing!

I am so sorry, Shedemei. I wish there are words. I admire you for being with your darling at the end. For me it is so hard, but I still have to be there. I am sending you warm thoughts, sympathy and hugs.

I had to have my baby put to sleep a couple of months ago. He also had kidney failure and just went down hill fast. It just broke my heart to have him put to sleep but I didn't want him to suffer anymore. Hearing your cat is ill just makes me want to cry. They are our children aren't they.

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the support! She actually recovered, which surprised everyone.

I brought her home on Monday and after a rough day of readjusting to life on the outside, she's settled back into her regular routine. She is, unfortunately, more wobbly than before this latest incident, and clearly going downhill. Her kidney values are apparently fine, which really surprised me.

I feel like she'll be around a little while longer, but my fiance thinks I should "enjoy her while can." I really just want her to go to sleep with me one night and not wake up when it's her time so she doesn't have to go through this again. Regardless, I have end-of-life plans now and won't have to make decisions when the time comes.

Archived