IGNORED

Rhonda from My 5 Wives writes about Child Sexual Assault

Daisy4

I put this here because it happened while they were still fundamentalist mormons.

I've always found this family interesting because they were on their way out of fundamentalism. Rosemary spoke out a few months ago about being sexually assaulted as a child and now a second wife Rhonda is talking about her experiences with CSA.

bradyandwives.com/our-blog/this-happened

Their show had been canceled by TLC before any of this came out, but they have gone on record to say that TLC contacted them to offer to pay for therapy for Rosemary.

bradyandwives.com/our-blog/tlc-is-family

I wonder if TLC offered therapy to any of the Duggar kids (not that it would have been accepted).

I feel awful for these women, I know CSA can happen in any family, but I can't help but think these fundy patriarchal religions create a perfect environment for men to get away with it.

I didn't know their show was cancelled. Have they said why?

It just wasn't renewed a few seasons ago. I don't think there was any big reason other than maybe ratings or TLC only wanting one polygamist show.

It was a shame the show was cancelled. They are much more likeable than any of the other reality show polygamists. Rosemary's bravery in speaking out, especially agaonst a powerful man, was lovely, and it's wonderful Ronda feels she has the support to do so as well.

It seems like they talk a big game about being more friendly towards women, but the website is still BRADYandwives.com.

Brady is mentioned, but the wives by name are not. Their family still seems set in patriarchal ways.

Maybe they are more progressive than other polygamist families, but I'm not buying it just yet. :snooty:

I still need to dig deeper, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

It was a shame the show was cancelled. They are much more likeable than any of the other reality show polygamists. Rosemary's bravery in speaking out, especially agaonst a powerful man, was lovely, and it's wonderful Ronda feels she has the support to do so as well.

I agree with you on all points. I think they're a lot more likable than the browns (the wives, at least). They seem much more willing to accept that abuse of women and children in polygamy is rampant and are much less dismissive of these issues than the Browns. I really appreciate Rhonda and Rosemary's efforts to shed light on the issue and their willingness to talk about such difficult episodes of their past.

It seems like they talk a big game about being more friendly towards women, but the website is still BRADYandwives.com.

Brady is mentioned, but the wives by name are not. Their family still seems set in patriarchal ways.

Maybe they are more progressive than other polygamist families, but I'm not buying it just yet. :snooty:

I still need to dig deeper, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't think that you are wrong but I wouldn't totally write them off. I think the journey out of patriarchy is a long one.

I give them credit for leaving their church and being open about it.

I don't think that you are wrong but I wouldn't totally write them off. I think the journey out of patriarchy is a long one.

I give them credit for leaving their church and being open about it.

Good points. I'll keep digging.

My take on these guys is that they collectively are just more open-minded and intelligent than your average polygamous family.

I don't recall the specifics of their timeline but I do believe Brady recieved his degree in philosphy. I think he retains some of the swelled ego and pompousness characteristic of polygamous males. BUT imo, the desire to pursue that particular field of study is a strong indication that he is willing to think about other ideas. And when the headship starts questioning things....how can he keep everyone else on the righteous path?

The wives seem fairly intelligent too. At this point it seems like they stick together more out of familiarity and their individual love for Brady than for belief in the greater purposes of polygamy.

Except for Nonie. It was rather painful to watch her baby lust.

Archived