IGNORED

"19 Kids" Cancelled

Kira

Maybe now they'll start couponing in the hopes that Extreme Couponing will pick them up.

They're gonna need to pinch those pennies...

I bet we'll see another yardsale/flea market soon ... and the money will go right into their pockets.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't think money will be any kind of factor in deciding how many kids they'll have unless they leave fundamentalism. Jim Bob and Michelle certainly won't encourage their children to consider finances in that regard. For the kids that stick with the "breed for Jesus" mentality and and assuming JB/M don't budge on "leave and cleave," the most that will happen is that one or more will end up having 9-10 kids to support on limited incomes and realize that they literally CAN'T have more kids or they'll starve/be homeless/have a breakdown/etc., and I have my doubts on even that much if the Rodrigues' and Schraders are any indication.

The difference though, is that Duggarettes have tasted the good life and it appears that most of the older ones like it...

I really don't think money will be any kind of factor in deciding how many kids they'll have unless they leave fundamentalism. Jim Bob and Michelle certainly won't encourage their children to consider finances in that regard. For the kids that stick with the "breed for Jesus" mentality and and assuming JB/M don't budge on "leave and cleave," the most that will happen is that one or more will end up having 9-10 kids to support on limited incomes and realize that they literally CAN'T have more kids or they'll starve/be homeless/have a breakdown/etc., and I have my doubts on even that much if the Rodrigues' and Schraders are any indication.

I agree. I think they've been taught that faith is more important than money, and that God [nope! don't question his existence; of course he is out there] will always provide. IF they ever had the opportunity to learn about other cultures/religions with many children and the accompanying problems, they'll just file that away as "well, THOSE people didn't have the right faith. We do."

Also, with Me!Chelle leading the charge, I'm sure all the future mothers will learn about how her laundry room breakdown brought her closer to God and provided her with a solution. Therefore, any problems with excessive numbers of children will be due to a lack of faith, and solved by more faith & better prayer.

Side note: I think it'll be very interesting to see how Jill's fertility future unfolds. She's been raised on and seems to enjoy the KookAid, but starting off with a C-section could make things more complicated. The Schraders and Rodriguii illustrate how completely some brains are marinated in this anti-BC nonsense and bullshit. Starving kids isn't problematic, as long as it's for Jesus.

The quotes are being wonky for me, but I wanted to respond to the tax records info question. Those are private unless people choose to release them. That's why we always have that weird election moment where we get to scrutinize the candidates' tax records. It's informally mandatory that there be some level of transparency for presidential candidates, but less visible citizens are allowed their privacy. And you know how we LOVE our stuff/estates/empires here in the US; the acquisition of property/salary information would be seen as a private endeavor.*

*Trump is really irritating me this election cycle, but it'd be kinda awesome to see his returns. He is ALWAYS overestimating himself and his net worth. I would be okay with laughing at the reality. I'd also kinda love a Trump/Palin ticket. I'd never stop laughing, and while I'm cynical, I'm still hoping the voting populace has enough sense to keep them out of the White House.

Cornerstone payments can not only process credit and debit card donations, they are also partnered with iDonate where people can donate stuff (cars, jewelry, electronics,etc.) which will be sent to Texas to be auctioned off for cash. I believe iDonate is run by someone from Hobby Lobby.

Just pointing this out because it will be another source of income for them to beg for stuff once the money donations dry up.

You can't take the 4 million net worth and figure that he can support the family for the next 15 years. That would require him to sell ALL of his land and no more kids are born into the family. Each kid adds about $10 an hour and there's already one more kid on the way or about 20 grand a year. His numbers are only going to keep rising not lowering or leveling out. PLUS, his net worth would include cell contracts etc that he already has, in order to increase income his going to have to find more investments. Based on what we see his expenses are really more than 20k a month. Flying isn't cheap, $100 an hour roughly, and they are in the air around 10 hours each week that's another 4 grand right there.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to see the numbers http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/05143 (not breaking because MIT)

You can't take the 4 million net worth and figure that he can support the family for the next 15 years. That would require him to sell ALL of his land and no more kids are born into the family. Each kid adds about $10 an hour and there's already one more kid on the way or about 20 grand a year. His numbers are only going to keep rising not lowering or leveling out. PLUS, his net worth would include cell contracts etc that he already has, in order to increase income his going to have to find more investments. Based on what we see his expenses are really more than 20k a month. Flying isn't cheap, $100 an hour roughly, and they are in the air around 10 hours each week that's another 4 grand right there.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to see the numbers http://livingwage.mit.edu/counties/05143 (not breaking because MIT)

I'm not sure where the "Boob is worth 4 million" came from. If it's one of those internet places that simply speculates the net worth of celebrities, it's very possible he's worth a lot more. I doubt he's worth any less, but it may be a lot higher. 4 million may sound like a lot, but I know several work-a-day job couples in Jim Bob and Michelle's age group who are worth a couple of million when you add up their properties, IRA's, and 401ks. Of course,they don't each have eleventy times 3 dependents, but being a millionaire ain't what it used to be.

Which is not to say the loss of the show isn't a huge financial blow. I just think it's likely he has more than 3 or 4 million stashed away.

I think it is likely he is worth more. If I had to guess I would say closer to 10 million. Does anyone have a count of the actual number of shows they have done for TLC?

And then there are all the short video clips and exclusive clips posted on TLC, the various tours of the house that have been posted. Then there are all the appearance fees and other sources of income.

Now, many of the shows are compilations or episodes that just rehash old episodes, so I think those may be paid differently that shows that have all new footage, but even so, for the most recent season, they are listed on Amazon as having 21 shows. If, on average they have had 20 shows per season, that is about 800,000 from a season, not including any extra income from appearances and such. And haven't they had about 10 or so seasons?

It just feels to me as if 4 million is a shy number.

Also, where did the 40K per episode come from? Are we sure that is correct? I swear I have read elsewhere that it was closer to 75K per episode. And from a TV production cost, 75K per episode for a cast of 20 or so seems like a bargain, compared to scripted shows, where each actor is making that much or more.

As far as money they kids have gotten from books or appearances, I completely believe that somehow that money went to the family Corporation. I don't believe the girls have been allowed to keep any of that money individually. I would believe they are given an allowance or spending money when they need it, but I think anything paid to them is somehow right back to the family business. THey are employees of that business, so they may earn a stipend or small amount, but they are not getting a fair slice of the pie. And the minor children probably get nothing, other than some pocket money that they earn by doing chores, etc.

I know nothing about these things, but I thought tax forms were a matter of public record? If so, I'm nosy enough to really want to see them.

Assuming the $3-4 million net worth is correct, how much of that could be liquid assets? Considering the various properties they own, is $4 million net worth really that much money (asks the person who would be tempted to kill for $4 mil)? I don't think the Duggars are going to be declaring bankruptcy anytime soon, not even close, but their standard of living is going to have to decrease dramatically, I think. Without the show and media darling status and ability to jump in and talk at an republican politician's platform, all the speaking gigs they're getting are going to dry up fairly soon. I think Jessa is going to do well this year on that front, not because she has a chance of making a long-term living out of this but because the freak show factor is still high. The show was only recently cancelled and the scandal is going to bring curious non-leghumpers in droves. But she's not going to be able to maintain that level of "popularity" for long. And once the family starts fading from mainstream consciousness they won't be able to demand such high fees in even for fundie events.

I think every single member of that family enjoys the benefits of their current lifestyle. It's going to be hard to go backwards in that respect. They travel often, to visit friends, go to fundie gatherings, JTTH and Alert---all of that costs money. How much of that are they going to have to give up? Assuming all kids from now on are truly on their own financial when they marry, not one of them is going to be ok with living in trailers or tiny apartments, and eating that bootleg "pizza" they grew up on, after the way they've been living for so long. They can grift, sure, but in a few years the grifting is only going to get them enough for survival, not to really enjoy much.

Tax forms aren't public record; in fact, the IRS strictly prohibits release of tax information by any government entity except under special circumstances (which I don't think include our curiosity :) )

However...if he used a private filing company, those often don't keep information private unless there's a long-standing relationship with the client. I would assume he would have to, if his investments are as complex as we think. So, this information could be floating out there somewhere.

I agree that the wild card is the continued mass procreation.

The only way for these folks to significantly control the outflow of money without returning to the frumpers and meals consisting solely of rice days, is to control their fertility. Now, JB can somewhat do that by halting marriages for awhile-

The difference though, is that Duggarettes have tasted the good life and it appears that most of the older ones like it...

This is extremely important. It is much harder for people to take a voluntary financial step back (and they will have to, or will suddenly have a huge loss). People will fight hard not to lose what they have. This is why my parents always recommend others go to grad school right out of college, when your still used to being poor and are able to take it, once you are used to having money the little things like not having cable or sharing an apartment suddenly seem impossible. Now that they know what life can be like they will fight to keep it. I think they will even limit kids somewhat, without admitting it.

As far as money they kids have gotten from books or appearances, I completely believe that somehow that money went to the family Corporation. I don't believe the girls have been allowed to keep any of that money individually. I would believe they are given an allowance or spending money when they need it, but I think anything paid to them is somehow right back to the family business. THey are employees of that business, so they may earn a stipend or small amount, but they are not getting a fair slice of the pie. And the minor children probably get nothing, other than some pocket money that they earn by doing chores, etc.

I wonder about this too. You see Jill in her frumpwear, and Derick going to that convention in Ohio wearing those god-awful shoes Ben chose for the Seewald wedding (the leather shoes with the long pointy part like Hobbitses). I really wonder if Boob took all the money, even from the wedding and birth episodes. Of course he lets the older kids live in their free houses, but still they are earning far more than what he has to put out to refurbish those houses with the plan of selling them later.

I agree that the wild card is the continued mass procreation.

The only way for these folks to significantly control the outflow of money without returning to the frumpers and meals consisting solely of rice days, is to control their fertility. Now, JB can somewhat do that by halting marriages for awhile-

I think JB and Michelle would be of the attitude that they had hard financial times so that would be no excuse for the kids to limit family sizes. I remember an excerpt from one of their books, where Michelle talked about how hard it was for her to take such a huge step back financially when she married JB, how she disliked have to live so far below their means in the first few years of their marriage because of JB's insistence on saving. There was a tone of, "See, if we can do, so can--and should--you." If money ever really does become a serious issue, I think early marriage for the kids will become more likely, not less, with no financial support from JB other than maybe cheap rent in one of his properties. Or, best case scenario, the adult kids living at home will get real jobs with real paychecks so they can offset the cost of housing them/contribute to the family coffers.

Whether the kids will limit family sizes because of the necessary financial sacrifices they're no longer accustomed to...it's definitely possible, but as a hardcore pessimist I think the only way that would happen is if the younger kids witness several of their older siblings living in penury/having Michelle-style breakdowns after half a dozen or so kids.

I think JB and Michelle would be of the attitude that they had hard financial times so that would be no excuse for the kids to limit family sizes. I remember an excerpt from one of their books, where Michelle talked about how hard it was for her to take such a huge step back financially when she married JB, how she disliked have to live so far below their means in the first few years of their marriage because of JB's insistence on saving. There was a tone of, "See, if we can do, so can--and should--you." If money ever really does become a serious issue, I think early marriage for the kids will become more likely, not less, with no financial support from JB other than maybe cheap rent in one of his properties. Or, best case scenario, the adult kids living at home will get real jobs with real paychecks so they can offset the cost of housing them/contribute to the family coffers.

Whether the kids will limit family sizes because of the necessary financial sacrifices they're no longer accustomed to...it's definitely possible, but as a hardcore pessimist I think the only way that would happen is if the younger kids witness several of their older siblings living in penury/having Michelle-style breakdowns after half a dozen or so kids.

I agree that early marriage for the girls will be more likely, but he'll hold off on the boys until they can be self-supporting.

And every rental filled with a Duggar is not pulling money from rent paying tenants so that needs to stop.

Assessing their current situation:

• Jill and Derek can leave and cleave now - he's got an education and has held a job, he can get another one. She can suck it up and deal with him being away from home during the day and if Derek gets back in touch with his inner accountant and they limit their family size so they can adequately provide they'll be okay. They are in the best position.

• Jessa and Ben will have more of a struggle but neither family will let them starve while they find their footing. Lots of people have had rough starts with even less support - with hard work they'll be okay. Jessa seems like she has enough of a following to maybe make some extra money as a blogger, or endorsement, something. I get the feeling that she'll do what she needs to do to make sure her little family is okay, and if that means either clinging to or losing the party line based on what's most lucrative, so be it. As with all of them limiting family to what they can reasonably provide for on their own is key to long term security.

• Josh and Anna are in the worst position. Neither of them seem to have much in the way of marketable skills and 4 kids is a lot in this economy. And her parents don't seem as if they'd be in the position to help much financially, even if they really wanted to. Any job in the public eye, which is what he seemed to want, is out of the question for a good long time so he's going to have to reevaluate. His best shot is someone giving him a position as a favor behind the scenes (maybe his bil TFDW) where, if he's smart, he'll channel his ambition into work ethic and gain some skills. I doubt it would be cost effective for Anna to put the kids in daycare and go to work, but once the kids are older if she put them in school I could see her doing well in a career with kids. I hate the notion that just because they have a zillion kids they are good with them, but I truly think she is. She listens to them and her teaching is very interactive - I think they could be okay long term if they are open to the possibility that they may well have to be a dual income family once the kids are older. IMO J'Chelle owe Josh's kids every bit as much financial support as they do their own minors since they encouraged this early marriage/big family thing knowing what could blow up, knowing he wasn't capable of being self-supporting much less providing for a family. How I feel about Josh and Anna's responsibility aside, those babies were failed all over the place so unless and until their parents can provide for them then their grandparents need to make sure they are clothed, fed, insured, warm, safe, the whole shebang.

As for the rest of them - encourage the kidults to thine nearest community college for placement testing so they can get an empirical baseline for where they are/what they need to continue education and encourage jobs so they can assume some of their own expenses. Food and shelter are on J'Chelle until a reasonable time, imo, since they deliberately limited their options.

The more girls that can marry self supporting guys the more it eases the burden for J'Chelle, but finding guys with incomes and no plans to have a million kids unless they can afford it might be tough in their world. And I'd hate to see anyone pushed toward marriage for financial reasons.

JD could probably be self supporting now, I'd think. He has skills and a work ethic and if he does indeed own a house, he should be able to support himself.

The younger ones can go to school and ramp up for higher education or career training without the SOTDRT deficits.

Jim-Bob can spend less time trying to get on TV and snagging speaking engagements to recruit for Gothard and more time buying houses and flipping them with his huge home grown labor force of Howlers. He might be surprised how little time one has to worry about other people's choices when he's got actual work to do.

Michelle can 'write' a book on how to deal with change and how a new season of school and work for everyone is just as godly as frumpers and SAHDS. The main themes being God does indeed provide but only if you get off your ass and work, and that children are indeed blessings but they are also adorable little obligations and you owe them opportunities and a decent life. And hopefully some leghumpers will listen and jump off the fast track to poverty.

This is extremely important. It is much harder for people to take a voluntary financial step back (and they will have to, or will suddenly have a huge loss). People will fight hard not to lose what they have. This is why my parents always recommend others go to grad school right out of college, when your still used to being poor and are able to take it, once you are used to having money the little things like not having cable or sharing an apartment suddenly seem impossible. Now that they know what life can be like they will fight to keep it. I think they will even limit kids somewhat, without admitting it.

I agree that it's hard to take a voluntary financial step back. In fact, I was thinking about what happens to some (many?) people who have massive lottery wins. They spend the money, give it away, make outrageous purchases--and then it's all gone, and they go back to their financial condition before the win--or worse.

I wonder if this applies to Jim-Boob and Me!Shelle [thanks to the poster who used this great name; sorry I can't remember who it was]. Or perhaps it applies to some of their spawn. They acquired a seemingly-unlimited source of money (at least compared to their lives in the old days) and got used to living luxurious lives (Paris honeymoons, travel to Israel and Japan, new clothes, expensive cameras, eleventy vehicles, an airplane, renovated houses, etc.). Will they have the self-control, now that the TLC tap is turned off, to economize? Or will some of them, at least, continue to spend, spend, spend, and thus make their financial situation even worse?

Or is Jim-Boob so much in control that he will just shut down most of the spending?

:sigh2:

I agree that it's hard to take a voluntary financial step back. In fact, I was thinking about what happens to some (many?) people who have massive lottery wins. They spend the money, give it away, make outrageous purchases--and then it's all gone, and they go back to their financial condition before the win--or worse.

I wonder if this applies to Jim-Boob and Me!Shelle [thanks to the poster who used this great name; sorry I can't remember who it was]. Or perhaps it applies to some of their spawn. They acquired a seemingly-unlimited source of money (at least compared to their lives in the old days) and got used to living luxurious lives (Paris honeymoons, travel to Israel and Japan, new clothes, expensive cameras, eleventy vehicles, an airplane, renovated houses, etc.). Will they have the self-control, now that the TLC tap is turned off, to economize? Or will some of them, at least, continue to spend, spend, spend, and thus make their financial situation even worse?

Or is Jim-Boob so much in control that he will just shut down most of the spending?

:sigh2:

Cutting off the spending will only go so far. JB has to push the adults out of the nest. He needs some of them to either be: A) self sufficient, living on their own and supporting their own growing families or B) living at home, but working and putting into the coffers, like they were with the show. JB cannot have all the kids living on his dime and in his rental units, while also growing families.

I am not sure the Duggar kids would know how to shut down the spending when, for most of them, this has always been their reality. The younger kids have been raised to be wild, not work hard in school and think that it's normal to live with a camera in your face. Adulthood will be a rude awakening for them. The older Duggar kids probably have an inkling that the tide has changed. Yes Jill and Jessa made money off their weddings/pregnancies, but likely not enough to live off of for more than a couple of years. Then what? Two years from now the magazine covers, speaking tours and tv shows will be gone. Then you just have a bunch of uneducated, unskilled adults who have been raised to depend on tv to pay their bills and send them on vacation. There is no way for them to keep up that lifestyle, or even a middle class lifestyle, without real jobs and, preferably, an education.

I don't think Jim Bob will cut down spending for himself or Michelle, just everyone else. If anything, he will likely not cut back spending anytime soon because he probably believes that this will blow over soon and they will be back to getting those big TV checks.

Anyone who thinks that the SAHD will be encouraged to get jobs outside the home or that the married kids will be encouraged to limit their families does not understand this family at all.

Anyone who thinks that the SAHD will be encouraged to get jobs outside the home or that the married kids will be encouraged to limit their families does not understand this family at all.

Very wishful thinking on my part. :lol: I know its a slim chance but it would be best for everyone.

They've done 160 episodes/one off specials for Discovery.

In 2013 it was reported that the cast of Duck Dynasty was asking for $200,000 an episode, and since they continued with the show let's go with they got that. If I counted correctly there are 15 people on that show, I didn't count kids you see in the background just people normally involved in the story lines. That's $1333 and some change per person per episode. The ratings are reported around 10 million per episode or 10 times what 19KAC brought in. Now I'm sure the Duggars get more than $133 bucks per person. So I'll give them half of that.

So 160 episodes at $665.50 per person per episode with an average of 15 Duggars on each episode would bring them $1,599,600 in salary. Which doesn't sound like a lot but it doesn't include perks like their flipping house, the furnishings, the trips, the food, the clothing, etc. It's also not a lot of work really if each episode takes three 8 hour days to film that $30 an hour and tell me how many 15 year olds are making that kind of money?

The difference in all of this though is most other reality stars use their 15 minutes in the spot light to venture out into other things. Look at the Kardashians and what they are involved in separate from the show. Look at what the Robertsons have ventured into outside of their show. What did the Duggars do with their fame? NOTHING!

Last I knew, Michelle hasn't had a kid in years. And, based on her age, there are unlikely to be anymore after Josie. Are you referring to their grandchildren? Why would they be responsible for providing for their grandchildren? That should be the parents' job. If the Duggar kids can't afford to support a family, they should stop having kids. Problem solved. As for flying, if he can't afford an expensive hobby, then he does what the rest of us do, he gives up the hobby. Welcome to reality Duggars.

Last I knew, Michelle hasn't had a kid in years. And, based on her age, there are unlikely to be anymore after Josie. Are you referring to their grandchildren? Why would they be responsible for providing for their grandchildren? That should be the parents' job. If the Duggar kids can't afford to support a family, they should stop having kids. Problem solved. As for flying, if he can't afford an expensive hobby, then he does what the rest of us do, he gives up the hobby. Welcome to reality Duggars.

Yes I'm talking about grandchildren. JB has crippled his children to get real jobs because they lack the necessary education. Currently, all "working" males are on his payroll so in all actuality JB is paying for all of his kids and grandkids.

They've done 160 episodes/one off specials for Discovery.

In 2013 it was reported that the cast of Duck Dynasty was asking for $200,000 an episode, and since they continued with the show let's go with they got that. If I counted correctly there are 15 people on that show, I didn't count kids you see in the background just people normally involved in the story lines. That's $1333 and some change per person per episode. The ratings are reported around 10 million per episode or 10 times what 19KAC brought in. Now I'm sure the Duggars get more than $133 bucks per person. So I'll give them half of that.

So 160 episodes at $665.50 per person per episode with an average of 15 Duggars on each episode would bring them $1,599,600 in salary. Which doesn't sound like a lot but it doesn't include perks like their flipping house, the furnishings, the trips, the food, the clothing, etc. It's also not a lot of work really if each episode takes three 8 hour days to film that $30 an hour and tell me how many 15 year olds are making that kind of money?

The difference in all of this though is most other reality stars use their 15 minutes in the spot light to venture out into other things. Look at the Kardashians and what they are involved in separate from the show. Look at what the Robertsons have ventured into outside of their show. What did the Duggars do with their fame? NOTHING!

The Robertsons show ratings went down I think around 2 million an episode. But the Robertsons and the Kardashians are cashing in. Especially pimp mama Kris. The duggars don't do shit. No dwts, no outside deals, nothing

The Robertsons show ratings went down I think around 2 million an episode. But the Robertsons and the Kardashians are cashing in. Especially pimp mama Kris. The duggars don't do shit. No dwts, no outside deals, nothing

The Duggars scream lazy and entitled. At one time, in the 1980s, JB was motivated, self directed and took some initiative. IDK, maybe his time in the AR HoR sucked away his drive and soul...maybe it was the easy TLC money. Regardless, the Duggar parents failed to role model and instill a good work ethic or motivation into the majority of their adult kids-

Lack of initiative coupled with a far inferior basic education, is a recipe for poverty and failure.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been checking in on their FB page just to see the numbers. I haven't kept up with it that well since the scandal broke, but I think they lost a couple thousand at that time. BUT, in the days since the show cancellation, they've gained around 5,000+. So, as far as the FB page is concerned, they haven't lost many followers, and in fact, are somewhat gaining.

Thank you so much, this is really interesting even if it is sad. I would have hoped for a significant drop in followers. This would be something the Duggars would have to see. With even more followers their strange view of not understanding why People don´t get over the molestation just like they did, is supported.

I don't know about FB likes in relation to the scandal breaking, but within the last week, they're still trending very slightly upwards although they're gaining followers at a much slower rate. Last Wednesday, they were up 2.7% with July 16th (TLC cancels 19KAC) and July 19th (Meredith is born) being their biggest days. Now they're only up 0.7%. July 29th was there biggest day this past week. That day they had posted photos of Jinger doing haircuts and of Josh, Anna, and Meredith.

July 16th to July 22nd: post-10580-144520006252_thumb.png

July 26th to August 1st: post-10580-14452000625566_thumb.png

Does anyone want weekly updates on this? I could do it (schedule and memory allowing) in the general Duggar discussion thread.

Archived