IGNORED

Confederate Flag

DaysAgo

Where do the Duggars stand on the flying of the Confederate flag debate going on in the United States right now? Any ideas?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do the Duggars stand on the flying of the Confederate flag debate going on in the United States right now? Any ideas?

I think it's likely they don't even understand either's side of the debate. Maybe don't even know or care it is going on since it doesn't involve abortion. It isn't has though the Duggars are great thinkers.

I think it's likely they don't even understand either's side of the debate. Maybe don't even know or care it is going on since it doesn't involve abortion. It isn't has though the Duggars are great thinkers.

I'm sure they will find a way to tie it to abortion and gay marriage, just like the Holocaust.

1. JimBob and Michelle originally wanted Jackson to be named "Judah Benjamin."

2. JD wanted to name the Jubilee pregnancy "Jefferson Davis."

3. Josh posted a picture on instagram of a Confederate flag bumper sticker that said, "I'd rather be historically accurate than politically correct" with the hashtag #truth.

They're evangelical Christians. From Arkansas. I see confederate flags flying in the more conservative areas of New Jersey.

The Duggars are absolutely racist Confederate flag lovers. That's not even a question.

1. JimBob and Michelle originally wanted Jackson to be named "Judah Benjamin."

3. Josh posted a picture on instagram of a Confederate flag bumper sticker that said, "I'd rather be historically accurate than politically correct" with the hashtag #truth.

I was :o when they were having the very special family meeting to name Jackson. Didn't Josh scrub that pic from his IG?

I was :o when they were having the very special family meeting to name Jackson. Didn't Josh scrub that pic from his IG?

I watched the 14 kids special and a room full of Duggars cried out "Judah Benjamin!" when the technician said it was a boy. And the narrator repeated it. It's on film forever. :twisted:

Put a fork in me, I'm done. I thought " Judah Benjamin" was just one of those Jewish- type names they like sometimes, similar to " Israel" but more subtle..

Just Wikied him.

I'm over 50 years old, lived in the South all my life until the last decade of my life, and had never heard of the bigot until just now.

What on EARTH were the Duggar parents teaching their children about this horrible man and why? I'm in shock. I know about Nathan Bedford Forrest, but mainly because he was in the Civil War and when I was in middle school, there was some teaching of the Civil War battles and generals, etc. I know about the KKK ( from books and TV, never in person). I had a security guard once ask me if I wanted someone of another race who was actively pursuing me ( physically) in the work place " To get a surprise visit one night by the Klan", which scared me a lot more than the guy bothering me.

Anyone can be born in the South and it's not their fault. But to embrace racism and bigotry and to cause fear and shame for generations, there's no excuse at all.

He scrubbed it after he got a lot of negative comments. He didn't suddenly realize it was a symbol of oppression.

Interesting that southerners claim to be historically accurate in their rampant philia for the Confederate flag.

Interesting because none of the collegiate American history courses I took at my universities led me to believe the Confederate flag is a flag of freedom or equality.

It is almost like southern-pride southerners are basing their "knowledge" off local legends and their piss-poor, substandard educations, rather than academic history. Imagine that!

My guess is that the Duggars like the Confederate flag, but are savvy enough not to put one up where cameras can see it. It wouldn't surprise me if they have photos of Confederate generals around like that Bateses, but put them in some part of the house that's off limits to cameras. The IFB in generally has a history of supporting racists and racism. The most obvious example is how Bob Jones University banned inter-racial dating. It's unclear whether Bob Jones, Sr. himself was a Klansman, but he supported the group's mission and accepted donations from it. Christian textbooks from A Beka and ACE are also filled with racist commentary:

www.patheos.com/blogs/leavingfundamenta ... a-lawsuit/

Fundamentalism is full of racists who believe dark skin is a sign of sin. I have no doubt the Duggars love that flag, probably more than the American flag.

Anyone can be born in the South and it's not their fault. But to embrace racism and bigotry and to cause fear and shame for generations, there's no excuse at all.

This! I was born, raised, and still live in Alabama. I will never, ever embrace racism or bigotry. It's evil and wrong!

Ug, I live on the east side of the cascades in Oregon, and I frequently see big trucks with this, sometimes new ones (class isn't an issue when it comes to bigotry)

Often times I will see them flown with the "don't tread on me" snake flag.

Eastern Oregon is so vastly different than Western Oregon (where everything is green and lush) Eastern & Central Oregon is desert and very very conservative, but sparsely populated, thank Maude for Portland and Eugene!

This is why I don't get family's like Voddie Baucham's. The Christian Patriarchy movement is HEAVILY rooted in racism; alot, and I mean ALOT of these families are also Christian Reconstructionists, and believe that the Confederate south was the best time for Christianity in America :angry-banghead:. Not to mention the music choices, Bill Gothard outright condemned music with a backbeat as coming from "pagan" Africa, while the horrible out of key and out of rhythm tunes fundies sing and play are from "righteous and Godly" Europe. Finally, the purpose of the Quiverfull component is to breed as many white Christian children as possible so that things continue politically in their favor. How could you be a black man advocating for the persecution of yourself and people like you? He must be one of those idiots who believe theyre the exception, who believe someone like Dylann Roof wouldnt kill them too.

Judah Benjamin was also gay

lol, I did not know that. Benjamin was a Jew so they probably figure he is in hell anyway.

I find it funny that fundies love Dietrich Bonhoeffer who was also (ALLEGEDLY) gay.

I had no idea. I remember that episode and think that Judah Benjamin was such a bizarre name for Christian Fundie. :ew: :ew: :ew:

They're evangelical Christians. From Arkansas. I see confederate flags flying in the more conservative areas of New Jersey.

The Duggars are absolutely racist Confederate flag lovers. That's not even a question.

We have our share of assholes in Connecticut too. We recently found out that the Klan had marches down the main streets of our new town. . . in the 1990s. :angry-banghead: :pull-hair:

And we occasionally see trucks with confederate flags on them around town. Every time it happens, we wind up looking at the person like :wtf: :music-tool:

So yeah, its definitely not a problem limited to the South. I think there are just a small group of people who decided to keep the whole, "South will rise again," stuff going by convincing people that flag actually stood for freedom rather than racism and slavery.

This! I was born, raised, and still live in Alabama. I will never, ever embrace racism or bigotry. It's evil and wrong!

RosyDaisy, my birth mom stopped off in AL long enough to give birth to me. She was back home in FL 3 days later, and I was stuck being raised by adoptive parents in AL.

I'm so glad to be away from the part of N. AL I'm from. I'll never go back, not even to visit.

No, there's never an excuse for racism or bigotry. My parents didn't treat anyone differently, they were extremely good people who genuinely cared about all people. I think Southern racism is obviously generational, so not having that burden to overcome was a gift from my family.

We have our share of assholes in Connecticut too. We recently found out that the Klan had marches down the main streets of our new town. . . in the 1990s. :angry-banghead: :pull-hair:

And we occasionally see trucks with confederate flags on them around town. Every time it happens, we wind up looking at the person like :wtf: :music-tool:

So yeah, its definitely not a problem limited to the South. I think there are just a small group of people who decided to keep the whole, "South will rise again," stuff going by convincing people that flag actually stood for freedom rather than racism and slavery.

I think you're being too kind. People might say that it's about "freedom" or whatever, but make no mistake, anyone who's at all sympathetic to that flag is a racist. It wasn't even an important flag historically. It had no special significance until the KKK decided to make it the flag of white supremacy. And while most supporters might not know that, the fact that they hold it so dear is a sign that, at best, they don't think racism is problem in this country and that black people are just too sensitive.

It's coming down in Mississippi the Capitol and I just saw pics of the Confederate Flags coming down from the Capitol grounds in Alabama.

I am just sorry nine people had to die for this to happen. It makes me feel very emotional to see the pics of the flags coming down. I am glad that the governors of Mississippi and Alabama just went ahead and made the decision.

Finally.

Really? I missed that. Ew. :ew:

I grew up in Arkansas and my parents are very conservative Evangelicals, but they've always hated the confederate flag. It's one of the things I'm really grateful for looking back, because that was not the norm in Arkansas. There are confederate flags everywhere, and I remember "Dixie" playing during 4th of July fireworks displays, which I always thought was pretty messed up. Arkansas still celebrates Robert E. Lee day on the same day as MLK day.

I like the south and I like that I can call myself a southerner, and I don't think "southern pride" justifies displaying the confederate flag. People say it has nothing to do with slavery, it was just about states' rights, but when the right those states were fighting over was the right to own slaves, I don't think that argument holds much weight.

I'm happy to see that people are challenging the use of the confederate flag now. I was actually pretty shocked, but very pleased, to see that Wal-Mart has stopped selling confederate flag merchandise because it's always been pretty normal to see entire sections of Wal-Mart with confederate flag items.

You don't really see in any confederate flags around where I live in Southern CA. Sure, there is still racism here with border issues, ect, but the blatancy of the confederate flag is so obnoxious, you just don't see that here. I remember flying into Atlanta a few years ago and seeing the confederate flag/symbol painted on barn roofs. I was floored.

Archived