IGNORED

Confederate Flag

DaysAgo

People are allowed under the Constitution to be racists. If they want to post photos of themselves swathed in the confederate flag, dancing in their bed sheet, with a burning cross in their yard; I say go for it. It's saves time in identifying who the jerks are. Instagram and Facebook should allow this just like they allow stupid duckface selfies. People have a right to their beliefs, even dumb ones.

The Confederate flag does not need to be displayed on public buildings. I applaud businesses that no longer want to sell the merchandise BUT People have the right to display stupid stuff on their persons or on their private property. As a progressive, liberal, southerner I don't want that flag to go away. I want it in museums; because we need to understand our history, move forward and be a better south in the future. :geek:

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet the Bates can.

The Bates didn't know the story behind Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Anyhow, you would be surprised at how many secular Americans don't know basic US history.y. I caught a news clip the other day (on CNN? cant recall),but a news clip of people being asked who the first president was and one said James Madison. R

People are allowed under the Constitution to be racists. If they want to post photos of themselves swathed in the confederate flag, dancing in their bed sheet, with a burning cross in their yard; I say go for it. It's saves time in identifying who the jerks are. Instagram and Facebook should allow this just like they allow stupid duckface selfies. People have a right to their beliefs, even dumb ones.

The Confederate flag does not need to be displayed on public buildings. I applaud businesses that no longer want to sell the merchandise BUT People have the right to display stupid stuff on their persons or on their private property. As a progressive, liberal, southerner I don't want that flag to go away. I want it in museums; because we need to understand our history, move forward and be a better south in the future. :geek:

Yeah, this past week has been a good lesson on which people I know are bigots.

Also someone posted this on Facebook: buzzpo.com/black-student-ditches-political-correctness-stands-up-for-confederate-flag/?utm_content=buffer8f666&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=positivelyrepublican

One person isn't offended, so it's okay!!

Anyhow, you would be surprised at how many secular Americans don't know basic US history.y. I caught a news clip the other day (on CNN? cant recall),but a news clip of people being asked who the first president was and one said James Madison. R

I live in TN, took advanced history classes in College (nerd) and the first I heard about Nathan was on the news this week. We are taught more regional history in the civil war era then state history. Where I'm from separated from the state to join the union :whistle:

Whenever I see the flag, I think of Maurice Bessinger. I was in college at the University of South Carolina during the time he decided to fly out outside his restaurants. Anyone I hear defending it, I automatically assume they're as racist as he was.

Whenever I see the flag, I think of Maurice Bessinger. I was in college at the University of South Carolina during the time he decided to fly out outside his restaurants. Anyone I hear defending it, I automatically assume they're as racist as he was.

Same it makes me sick!

I wasn't at USC then (a few years before my time), but I tend to make the same assumption.

I bet the Bates can.

I bet the Bates have a whitewashed, glorify the old South version of the Civil War. Their "Patriot Room" was nothing but glorifying the Civil War.

Hey Jessica, that history book will tell me that the states waving that flag wanted to keep, what was it? Oh, that's right; slavery.

I know I got shit for calling her a "twat" awhile back, but I stand by it. Twat.

Eh, I bet those families do know about the causes of the Civil War and are totally cool with it, they just know better than to publicly state that they don't see chattel slavery as a problem. Go to youtube and lookup "Ask a Slave," a series by people who work in plantation museums. Or look at the twitter feed @afamhistfail. See the questions and comments visitors to the plantations ask them, all dismissive of the horrors of slavery and rhapsodizing about how great life was for the plantation owners and that surely their slaves were totally happy.

It was caused by Yankee aggression. Damn Northeners taking away the right of the many to give rights to the minorities. (I just died a little inside typing that).

I've heard that before from my oldest brother. I laughed in his face when he told me that. He didn't like that I did so. Since, I am (his exact words) a stupid liberal bitch who ought to shut and learn the "truth" or be killed. By the way we are no longer on speaking terms.

I've heard that before from my oldest brother. I laughed in his face when he told me that. He didn't like that I did so. Since, I am (his exact words) a stupid liberal bitch who ought to shut and learn the "truth" or be killed. By the way we are no longer on speaking terms.

That's so messed up. I'm sorry. :( I can't believe so many people can be so hateful.

My dad was taught that the Civil War was called the War of Yankee/Northern Agression when he was growing up in the south. I asked him how he felt about he Confederate flag growing up and he said he never liked it because he was from the north (Moved south as a small child).

I do think that the Confederate Flag should not fly over any federal or state building. My cousin disagreed saying that it is a part of the South's heritage. I told him that Texas at one time was a part of Mexico and France but I bet people would blow their tops if we started flying those flags over government buildings.

The Confederate Flag is a part of the dark history of the US that should be reserved for museums and Civil War battlefield sites. As far as not allowing people to wear it or display it- it's obtuse but I don't think the law should mandate that you can't. IMO-It's 50 foot warning sign for a douche bag.

I do think that the Confederate Flag should not fly over any federal or state building. My cousin disagreed saying that it is a part of the South's heritage. I told him that Texas at one time was a part of Mexico and France but I bet people would blow their tops if we started flying those flags over government buildings.

The Confederate Flag is a part of the dark history of the US that should be reserved for museums and Civil War battlefield sites. As far as not allowing people to wear it or display it- it's obtuse but I don't think the law should mandate that you can't. IMO-It's 50 foot warning sign for a douche bag.

Actually there are numerous places in Texas where you see the "Six Flags" theme - we even have a couple of water parks with that theme. Not sure if one is a government building, but it's not something looked at that badly. There's a difference between flying on the top of the capitol, and flying it off to the side on a monument - big difference. I've never been offended to see a French, Mexican, or other flag. It's just a reminder of what took place from there to now. Also, for the people saying to regulate it to a museum, that's basically exactly the intent of a memorial. A memorial is often on the place where a historical event took place, and unfortunately Charleston is a big location for the start of the Civil War, as is the statehouse there in SC itself with cannonball damage from Federal guns still somewhat preserved. Location wise, it's accurate, and people need to think of it as an outdoor museum rather.

LOLZ! The woes of Wal-Mart.

And did I read above that Arkansas celebrates Robert E. Lee Day on MLK Day? Lee even gets a day? Whose idea was that?

It's the same here in Alabama. I blame the racists assholes in Montgomery. I will never, ever celebrate REL Day, but I will always celebrate MLK Day. Confederate flags are banned on my property.

Actually there are numerous places in Texas where you see the "Six Flags" theme - we even have a couple of water parks with that theme. Not sure if one is a government building, but it's not something looked at that badly. There's a difference between flying on the top of the capitol, and flying it off to the side on a monument - big difference. I've never been offended to see a French, Mexican, or other flag. It's just a reminder of what took place from there to now. Also, for the people saying to regulate it to a museum, that's basically exactly the intent of a memorial. A memorial is often on the place where a historical event took place, and unfortunately Charleston is a big location for the start of the Civil War, as is the statehouse there in SC itself with cannonball damage from Federal guns still somewhat preserved. Location wise, it's accurate, and people need to think of it as an outdoor museum rather.

To me it would be like seeing the Nazi flag flying in a memorial about WW II. I think most people would think that doing that would be inappropriate. People don't need to forget the Civil War, but they need to stop pretending that the Confederate Flag is a symbol of anything but a war to keep people enslaved.

Maybe they do now, if one of them saw "Forrest Gump" on the sly. As to naming all of the Presidents, I learned that at age 7.

I want to bang my head against a wall every time I hear someone say "support the rebel flag! Support the people who fought for it." That's like Germans calling the Nazi flag the "rebel flag" and asking people to fly it to support the people who died for it.

Just...no. Let it go.

I want to bang my head against a wall every time I hear someone say "support the rebel flag! Support the people who fought for it." That's like Germans calling the Nazi flag the "rebel flag" and asking people to fly it to support the people who died for it.

Just...no. Let it go.

I think many in the South don't want to face the truth about our dark history and that it really isn't anything to be proud of. It is like this alternative history has been created where the South was the "good guy" that stood up for the little man against the Northern tyrants.

since some people think that blacks people need to get over slavery and racism, then why can't rednecks get over the rebel flag? I also just read about the kkk holding a meeting about this bs in a few weeks. Did I mention I hate this country, a lot

since some people think that blacks people need to get over slavery and racism, then why can't rednecks get over the rebel flag? I also just read about the kkk holding a meeting about this bs in a few weeks. Did I mention I hate this country, a lot

That's an excellent question about that damned flag.

I have a deep ambivalence about this place myself.

Let's also remember that Black Southern churches have recently started catching on fire, too: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ource=SFFB [unbroken link -- news source]

Well the KKK Is going to do a rally with the confederate flag. Great idea no better way to show the flags true colors.

I saw a video on Jimmy Kimmel on Monday night of a Confederate Flag Parade. You see one jacked up truck after another whiz by and then 3 trucks rear end each other. :lol: Pure comedy- you can't make this stuff up. I am trying to find a link to the video.

Archived