IGNORED

Proof the Duggars Spank with a Rod

LilahBelle

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I believe this deserves a new thread - it's not about the sexual abuse, it's not about Josh, it's about that little paragraph in page 29 of the Springdale police report. To paraphrase, the police asked one of the girls if anybody touches her bottom and she mentioned spanking. The interviewer started questioning her, and this girl stated that all the kids were spanked, she responded yes. When asked what they were spanked with, she said a "rod." When asked if the rod left bruises she said "no."

I wish the police had followed up with this angle a little more. In any event, it's proof that they do engage on corporal punishment.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I believe this deserves a new thread - it's not about the sexual abuse, it's not about Josh, it's about that little paragraph in page 29 of the Springdale police report. To paraphrase, the police asked one of the girls if anybody touches her bottom and she mentioned spanking. The interviewer started questioning her, and this girl stated that all the kids were spanked, she responded yes. When asked what they were spanked with, she said a "rod." When asked if the rod left bruises she said "no."

I wish the police had followed up with this angle a little more. In any event, it's proof that they do engage on corporal punishment.

This actually has been speculated and talked to death on almost every other thread. Also, there was a DHS investigation later on the Duggar family. There aren't a lot of details about it but I'm sure this was brought up to the case worker.

This actually has been speculated and talked to death on almost every other thread. Also, there was a DHS investigation later on the Duggar family. There aren't a lot of details about it but I'm sure this was brought up to the case worker.

I'm glad it is its own thread as of now. I was glad people pointed out the corporeal punishment from the report in the other threads, but the topic is less relevant in the Joshgate threads and deserves a discussion on its own. Finally.

This thread can also be a catalogued acknowledgment that yes, FJ knows the Duggars abuse their children, and yes we disapprove.

(Rare spankings might be one thing (I personally don't condone it), but a fucking rod? On very young children even? Fuckin' A)

How do they know that their parents don't leave bruises, or that they haven't left bruises before. You cant see your own ass.

The fact that the Duggard spank their Kids with a rod definitly deserves a thread, thank you so much. When one thinks of all the parental advices the Duggars had for us, like using a soft voice, it seems really important to me to find another pice of the puzzel that will Show the true Duggars. In all those years so many People that met the Duggar Kids stressed how nice and well bevhaived the Kids are. So often you herad People saying that they have never seen kids with so much discipline and so on. Parents get frustrated because they start to believe that it is possible the habe perfectly raised kids like the Duggars and Need to see that what the Duggars really have is a brainwashing Center with physical and (even more and worse) psychological Terror.

I've heard the term a thousand times, but I don't actually know what a rod is. Maybe it's an American thing. Irish parents favoured a wooden spoon in days (thankfully) gone by. Can anyone describe the Duggars' weapon of choice?

Fully agree that this deserves its own thread.

I've heard the term a thousand times, but I don't actually know what a rod is. Maybe it's an American thing. Irish parents favoured a wooden spoon in days (thankfully) gone by. Can anyone describe the Duggars' weapon of choice?

Fully agree that this deserves its own thread.

I believe this (evil) family followed (evil) Michael Pearl and his book "To Train (or torture) A Child". IIRC, Mr. Pearl recommended using a plumbing line because it doesn't leave bruises. Apparently it was scrubbed, but Meeechelle did blanket train and used a flexible ruler. I really hate them.

I too am glad to see a sub-topic of DuggarGate get its own thread.

I assumed that "rod" was a general term. Like "car" can mean anything from a teeny Smart Car to a turbo-charged Ferrari.

These people stick by their terminology. Like "train up", "countenance", "heart", etc.

I assumed that "rod" was a general term. Like "car" can mean anything from a teeny Smart Car to a turbo-charged Ferrari.

These people stick by their terminology. Like "train up", "countenance", "heart", etc.

I'm a freakin' American and I don't always know what they are talking about. I believe I need a Duggar to English dictionary.

Yeah, I think "rod" can refer to anything straight and rigid. I think a wooden spoon would probably count as a rod, as would plumbing line. It's different than a switch (thin and flexible), or a paddle. And as I'm writing this, I'm realizing how twisted it is that there are multiple different tools/weapons that are/have been acceptable to use against children in recent times.

How do they know that their parents don't leave bruises, or that they haven't left bruises before. You cant see your own ass.
plus it is not like the gets to seek each other's ass.

It has been said here before, but Michelle used to post about using a flex ruler on a Christian forum. The posts got deleted of course.

Yeah, I heard ruler too. Apparently that is the best tool for blanket training :( I imagine they probably have something a bit bigger for use on someone that isn't one year old :(

I always imagine plumbing line-they wouldn't say rod if it was a paddle or belt, and probably not if it was a wooden spoon, as they are used to spoons for cooking and eating and know what it was. Or maybe a switch of some sort. These people are monsters :(

I'm a freakin' American and I don't always know what they are talking about. I believe I need a Duggar to English dictionary.

Seriously, it's amazing the subcultures in this country!

Yeah, I felt its own thread appropriate because this conversation was getting lost in all the other talk, and it's a huge issue - perhaps even bigger than a few gropes of the breast while the victim was sleeping

I did some googling about this part of the police report,but it had not gained nearly the traction of all of the sexual abuse. In any event, somewhere a good point was made (can't recall where) - questioning whether TLC witnesses these kids being spanked with a rod and did they keep mum in order to keep a very lucrative show going? Did they see blanket training, which to me is more a form of physical and emotional cruelty than spanking an older child who understands it is for a transgression.

Adding my own point - now we have rumors of a spin off involving Jill and Jessa. If they intend to have these large families, surely they will have to use the same methods so they can homeschool a bunch of kids, and mind babies, and cook dinner, at least until they have their own little slaves. Also, I believe that the Duggars are following a biblical edict about sparing the rod, etc, hence they use a rod. So, it's not just a parenting choice for this cult. Again, for many of the same reasons JimBob and Michelle don't belong as paragons of virtue on TV, I think the same can be said of their own children.

I also think a bigger fuss should be made about all of the child care the Duggar girls were engaged in - including getting up in the middle of the night with a baby. That's cruelty to one child and neglect of the other.

I think this is very deserving of it's own thread, especially since leghumpers are always going on about how well behaved these kids are. Well, because they get beaten with a rod. That's why. I'm sure only precious Miracle Josie is spared from it.

I think this is very deserving of it's own thread, especially since leghumpers are always going on about how well behaved these kids are. Well, because they get beaten with a rod. That's why. I'm sure only precious Miracle Josie is spared from it.

The leg humpers praise the behavior of much older kids, teens and young adults and say that proves they're all so well-behaved. The actual children in the house run wild. They've even show the crew intervening to keep little ones safe while they are climbing everywhere. I'm not saying they should be beaten or anything like that, just that the leg humpers get the "Duggars are the best behaved children" thing wrong. Sometimes I wonder if we are all watching the same show? :lol:

I totally agree. I wish the younger girls (all the kids really) would get privately interviewed by a professional. I have a feeling that "House of Horrors" may be a mild description.

It's one thing to spank a child with an open hand in the heat of the moment, but there's something very sadistic about going to fetch your weapon and executing your punishment calmly.

Not saying the former is acceptable either btw

It's one thing to spank a child with an open hand in the heat of the moment, but there's something very sadistic about going to fetch your weapon and executing your punishment calmly.

Not saying the former is acceptable either btw

Can you imagine the horrors of getting the shit beaten out of you by a calm, smiley (and way bigger than you) baby voiced Michelle. Holy shit that is scary. Like some sort of horror film. Its more scary to have someone do it coldly and calmly, than someone getting angry, because of the unpredictability of it. Are they coming over to you because they want to offer you a cookie, or are they planning on torturing you? At least if someone's angry you can work out what the signs are and get the hell out of there before it starts.

I guess I just don't understand religion. It's an ancient book written by fallible men, probably not the best guidebook for your life in 2015. :shrug:

I had a few relatives who used the plumbing line and I can say it does sting like crazy! My grandmother always had a spanking spoon handy when I was little- she would decorate them by adding fake yarn hair, google eyes and glue a little dress to them. With so many kids around, she went through so many spoons that she had to go back to a willow switch or a leather belt about the time I started school.

Her one rule was that she would never hit us in the face. My mom and aunts did not have that rule. My aunt still tells her adult daughters (ages 24-32) today that she will "slap the devil out of them" if she doesn't like something they are doing. I told my mom when I was a young adult that if she ever laid a hand on me again I would call the cops for assault.

Family memories......

The leg humpers praise the behavior of much older kids, teens and young adults and say that proves they're all so well-behaved. The actual children in the house run wild. They've even show the crew intervening to keep little ones safe while they are climbing everywhere. I'm not saying they should be beaten or anything like that, just that the leg humpers get the "Duggars are the best behaved children" thing wrong. Sometimes I wonder if we are all watching the same show? :lol:

Things have changed over the years.

In the very early shows all the children seemed almost robotically well-behaved. I think at the point Michelle had the six boys in a row, she gave up trying to enforce that kind of discipline - unless they are out and about of course. If they're in the public eye they still have to be perfect, but at home the little boys were/are certainly uncontrolled to a hyper extent, and the four youngest girls have also been much less controlled than the four eldest ones were.

Of course the six youngest boys are much older now, mostly teenage, so that kind of wildness is less in evidence than a few years ago.

Even the way they dress and look has changed radically - not just the lack of frumpers these days, but grooming - the little girls are often scruffy and dirty in a way the eldest never seemed to be at that age. I would say it's a good thing but it looks more like neglect and nobody caring, than a healthy allowance for children getting dirty because they are playing outside.

I think that things changed over the years because of the show. They cant punish the kids in front of the camera, or a crew member might report them for child abuse. They also need to be careful about what the kids say in front of the camera, there are far more people who the kids might be able to turn to if they were having trouble, and far more people the kid might accidentally say something incriminating to. Also there are more kids, and Michelle and Jimbob have probably gotten lazier on discipline as they have become more disconnected from their kids. When the first group of kids were little, the Jslaves were small. They were responsible for their buddy's basic needs, but likely needed prompting and probably spanking into doing it right, nowadays the Jslaves are teens and adults and have been raising babies for so long their lazy parents probably leave them to it, even most of the discipline...which means they probably aren't getting beaten as much because no kid wants to be responsible for disciplining their siblings and they get a bit inconsistent with it, and they know how much it hurts too, so probably do it less.

The younger kids also have more of a childhood than the older ones did. When the kids were all under 12, they had way more responsibilities for their age, so were not allowed to run around and play. Now there are a bunch of teenagers and adults, and no babies, the kids under 12 aren't raising children and doing a ton of chores, because there are no babies to need a lot of attention, chores are shared between loads of kids, and the older ones are able to do way more of the work, so there is more time to play.

I think there likely is still corporal punishment in the house, but I imagine it is not as frequent because of the cameras, and only reserved for when they do something really bad off camera. Before the cameras, the Jslaves, Josh and the oldest boys probably got the shit beat out of them at least once a day, for the tiniest little things. The Howlers probably got it as bad when they were toddlers and pre-schoolers, before the cameras came around, but then it eased up when the cameras started being around more often and now they don't feel as afraid and know that they can do whatever the fuck they want on camera because the most they will get is "Oh no, James don't do that" in a baby voice, and by the time the cameras are gone their parents have forgotten they did it and to discipline them for it. The little girls and Jackson probably did not get beaten very often thankfully, cause they were raised on camera. They probably get it occasionally when they piss their parents off or when their buddy isn't in the mood for dealing with kid squabbles, but it probably is not as serious.

The little girls and Jackson probably did not get beaten very often thankfully, cause they were raised on camera. They probably get it occasionally when they piss their parents off or when their buddy isn't in the mood for dealing with kid squabbles, but it probably is not as serious.

The camera crew is not around most of the time and they aren't in-bedded in the house. I'm sure they get the rod as well, but less frequently because most parents become more lax the more kids they have. When I would come home from college, I was always astounded over the stuff my youngest siblings were getting away with. I remember being about 18 and asking permission to open the refrigerator - it was ingrained in in me from childhood - don't touch that door without permission. A few minutes later a five year old swooped by and raided the fridge, taking whatever she wanted and my mother didn't bat an eyelash.

While the youngest Duggars may be spared the rod more often, they are clearly being neglected. Of course, in that household, neglect may be preferable to non-stop indoctrination.

The phrase "Speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind. That may work for foreign policy, but is utterly terrifying with children.

I'm guessing the younger kids don't get it unless mom or dad happen to catch them. I doubt the sister-moms use the rod on them. They care about those kids a lot more than their parents do.

Archived