IGNORED

More modesty rants by my favorite fundies

fundyduddy

I agree. I've seen 5 and 6 y.o. girls with pants that say "sexy" across the rear end. I have a 7 y.o. grand daughter who is 5 feet tall and has to buy her clothes in the teen dept. It is very difficult to find her age appropriate clothing. She has classmates who are average size who are wearing clothes meant for much older girls. It's sad to see.

Nell

Chiming in to agree with the disturbingness of sexualizing prepubescent children (I swear on the Toddlers and Tiaras commercial I saw the other night, a mom was stuffing the chest of her 6-year old :o ).

I didn't look at the original blog post, but this girl sounds more fundie-light than full-on fundie. While I hate that she had to bring up the "harlot" word (she does speak fluent Bible-ese!), I am relieved that her view of "harlot-like" attire is more along the lines of mini-skirts on children than showing one's knee and collar bone. I hate the judging and shaming of women for their clothing choices, but as I said, sexualizing kids is disturbing, and it's the parents who are making the choices to let or even encourage their kids to wear very "adult" attire.

I was joking around with my niece and called her a little tart, so she laughed and called me an old pie!

Ow! Pepsi is so hard on the old nose. Thanks for making me laugh so hard my drink came out the wrong place. :lol:

I don't agree that showing a little leg consititutes dressing as a whore and getting what you deserve. That stated, I do see a point to Susan's blog post. Yesterday I saw a 10 or so year old girl walking home from school in a mini-skirt, heels, and a tight fitting t-shirt. Honest to goodness, my first thought was "she looks like a slut" followed by "how could her parents let her out of the house looking like that" and ending with "Abby (my daughter) will never wear something like that". I think society has gotten so sexualized and that has filtered down to girls of a younger and younger age. When you have company's putting push-up bras on the racks intended for girls 9 and up there's a problem. When a sexy outfit that would look stunning on a 20 something year old is displayed in the girls section of Target there's a problem. I don't think we have to put our girls in ankle skirts and doubled-up shirts, but I do think we've swung the pendullum a little too far to the side of having little girls dress too sexy and too old for their age. Why does it seem like we're constantly pushing our kids to grow up faster than necessary? Let kids be, act, and dress like kids for as long as possible.

THIS.

(I swear on the Toddlers and Tiaras commercial I saw the other night, a mom was stuffing the chest of her 6-year old :o ).

I don't have cable but I did read about this. Yes, the little girl was dressed as Dolly Parton and her mother created Dolly breasts for her. That whole Toddlers and Tiaras is a very disturbing show. I watched it when I had cable and it just boggled my mind.

Nell

I don't have cable but I did read about this. Yes, the little girl was dressed as Dolly Parton and her mother created Dolly breasts for her. That whole Toddlers and Tiaras is a very disturbing show. I watched it when I had cable and it just boggled my mind.

Nell

OK. I know this was over the top and totally mom led, but kids are obsessed with boobs! I remember me and my sisters and brothers playing dress-up and all putting giant balloons in our shirts (little did I realize how prophetic that would be-- I wouldn't have rushed it if I'd known what a pain boobs are). So, I'm not as disturbed by a kid doing a lip sync to Dolly Parton as I am disturbed by thongs designed for 8 year olds.

I agree. I've seen 5 and 6 y.o. girls with pants that say "sexy" across the rear end. I have a 7 y.o. grand daughter who is 5 feet tall and has to buy her clothes in the teen dept. It is very difficult to find her age appropriate clothing. She has classmates who are average size who are wearing clothes meant for much older girls. It's sad to see.

Nell

Co-signing. I remember seeing a shirt for toddlers in Old Navy that said "Hawaiian Hottie." The biggest size was 5T. :shock: I work very hard to make sure my girls are dressed appropriately for their ages.

Okay, but if we didn't teach our boys that women dressed "inappropriately" are fair game for disrespect, what women wear wouldn't be that much of an issue in the first place. At the end of the day IT SHOULDN'T MATTER what a girl or woman is wearing while going about her business, on her own time and dime.

For example, I can see a guy shirtless outside and I don't suddenly lose all control, or think he must be looking for my sexual advances, or think he's looking to be raped. BECAUSE I WASN'T TAUGHT BY SOCIETY THAT THIS IS OKAY.

Okay, but if we didn't teach our boys that women dressed "inappropriately" are fair game for disrespect, what women wear wouldn't be that much of an issue in the first place. At the end of the day IT SHOULDN'T MATTER what a girl or woman is wearing while going about her business, on her own time and dime.

For example, I can see a guy shirtless outside and I don't suddenly lose all control, or think he must be looking for my sexual advances, or think he's looking to be raped. BECAUSE I WASN'T TAUGHT BY SOCIETY THAT THIS IS OKAY.

Are you saying it is ok to dress little girls in clubwear?

Are you saying it is ok to dress little girls in clubwear?

I'm saying that the feelings elicited by those outfits are not the girl's responsibility, and that dressing code morality is relative. (And to answer your question directly: No.) I'm saying that we focus too much on what women do instead of what men do and why they feel it's okay to do it.

Archived