IGNORED

Kelly's Korner (fundie-lite-ish)

Beeks

I read Kelly's Korner [kellyskornerblog.com] a lot because our kids are close in age....anyone here read her? I don't think she's really much of a fundie but to somebody who grew up in the SF bay area (me) she seems pretty religious.

Anyway, she recently posted her video testimony and some of the comments just made me so sad. This one for instance:

"Hey Kelly, I read everyday but don't always comment. When i heard you say in your testimony that you used to witness to children on the playground, It was near and dear to my heart!! My son is 8 and was saved last summer. I myself wasn't saved til the age of 13. I always wondered how kids aged 5, 6, 7, etc. would understand and "get it". Well, my son came home from school this past week and said that he was a missionary. I asked him to explain and he said he asked his friend on the playground if he knew Jesus. The boy looked funny at him and my son said "What I mean is are you saved" He then explained to the little boy what it meant to be saved and then explained that when you pray and ask Jesus to come into your heart, you will go to heaven when you die. He said he told him that heaven is a wonderful place where the streets are paved with gold, no body is sick or sad there and everyone is with God and you spend eternity there. But.... if you die and you have never asked to be saved then you go to hell and he explained that hell is a very bad place where there is fire and you burn all the time and spend eternity there. (these were his words) He explained what sin was and asked the little boy if he wanted to be saved. The kid said yes and my son and the boy both got on their knees in the dirt on the playground and my son said a prayer and the little boy repeated the prayer. He came home beaming and said his friend had gotten saved and he "helped him" I could not be any prouder of him!!!! Only the Lord knows if that little boy truly got saved that day but I know my son definitely planted the seed and did what we are all supposed to do and that's tell others about Christ. I walked away that day knowing that my son "GOT IT". I loved your testimony by the way!"

Really? This is what makes people HAPPY? Their little children running around scaring the crap out of other kids about Hell, because they have had the crap scared out of themselves??? How do people think this is normal and good and something to strive for? I just don't get it.

I read Kelly and have since shortly after Harper was born. I would agree she's fundie-lite--she's extremely religious but lives a normal life. She seems only a little more "Jesus-y" than some of the other NW Arkansas bloggers (I read a few of them, too). Her level of religiosity is maybe slightly above average for the Bible Belt, but yeah, I can't imagine someone like her living in the Bay Area!

That comment is disturbing, yet I'm sure very few of Kelly's readers would think so. She seems to be a magnet for all the fundie-lites and other super-Christians on the web.

Somehow Kelly's blog is compelling, even though she's very ordinary and she and I don't have much in common.

I read Kelly and have since shortly after Harper was born. I would agree she's fundie-lite--she's extremely religious but lives a normal life. She seems only a little more "Jesus-y" than some of the other NW Arkansas bloggers (I read a few of them, too). Her level of religiosity is maybe slightly above average for the Bible Belt, but yeah, I can't imagine someone like her living in the Bay Area!

That comment is disturbing, yet I'm sure very few of Kelly's readers would think so. She seems to be a magnet for all the fundie-lites and other super-Christians on the web.

Somehow Kelly's blog is compelling, even though she's very ordinary and she and I don't have much in common.

I would LOVE to read more NWA Ark blogs bc my inlaws live there. My SIL is showing signs of becoming fundie (hubby says that there are quite a few there), and it's quite interesting to see this metamorphosis. If you want to private message me the links, that would be great! Thank you!

Edited to add: what a small world! Kelly and my hubby have mutual friends on FB. I guess the fundies are closer than I thought... :think:

Archived