IGNORED

Bob Jones 3rd Grade History book

formergothardite

I agree. I don't want to give them my money, but I wanted to buy the chick tract Halloween ones and give them as party favors for a Halloween party. They are comedy gold. I also love the Death Cookie, and the poor abused girl who got heroes from her dad and it was all ok because Jesus. WTF!

I won't buy them though. I would at a second hand store.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am fascinated by this kind of shit. I looked on eBay for some used books but honestly they are overpriced and not worth it. I recently discoverd Chick Tracts. I can get a sample pack of all the tracts currently in print for $20. I am tempted, just for laughs.

I used to work ny local science center and i found a chick track on the floor one day. When I brought it back to the offices we all had a fun time reading though it. I'm glad i found it and not a child.

I used to work ny local science center and i found a chick track on the floor one day. When I brought it back to the offices we all had a fun time reading though it. I'm glad i found it and not a child.

The last time I was at the laundromat, I saw a bunch of Chick tracts on the table.

In the mid-90s, there was a contemporary Christian concert at a park in my town, and there was a display of textbooks from the local Christian school. *Everything*--from English to science to health to math--was Jesus-ized.

One of the reasons I bought this book was that I not only wanted to see if it was as bad as I remembered but I figured that people who weren't raised this way often don't understand how bad fundie education can be. This is BJU which wasn't nearly as extreme as ATI. I wish I could get hold of my mom's old ATI books because those things were crazier than this stuff. My parents didn't even half use the ATI Wisdom Booklets because they were so awful.

Back to fundie history.

Chapter 5: The Middle Colonies

This chapter was just so boring. There is a very detailed description of how houses were built. There is a recipe for apple pie. Two pages for soap and candle making. Two paragraphs for the history of Saint Nicholas. A page about how girls in the middle colonies didn't really learn to read and write but they could make samplers and knit stockings by the time they were five. And then two pages about Pennsylvania but it is mostly pictures.

Chapter 6: The Southern Colonies

Georgia was the last of the 13 colonies. It was a poor colony, but don't worry, God loves both rich and poor people and he wants everyone to get saved and go to heaven. Most of the people in Georgia were in debt.

Jamestown, VA. - The English settlers were greedy, lazy, and incompetent. They had a good leader John Smith, but still most of them died. The Indians painted their skin so they were called redskins. John Smith and Pocahontas became best friends. John Smith got injured and went back to England. John Rolfe talked people into growing tobacco and the settlement began to prosper. John Rolfe married Pocahontas.

Charleston, SC - The English settlers that came here were lucky because they had friendly Indians who helped keep them alive. They were worried about the Spanish settlers so they built a huge wall around their town, set up seven guns and called it Charles Towne. Soon people from all over the world came to settle there. A ship crashed into Charleston during a storm and it had rice on it, so people planted rice.

Savannah, GA - This colony was started for poor English people who wanted to have a better life. There were no important crops or businesses in GA and the colony grew very slowly. They did get the first American Sunday School, so there is that.

And now we get to the heritage of African Americans. They get three whole paragraphs. :roll: So originally poor people would be servants in America for seven years to pay for the trip over here, but the rich folks got tired of their servants leaving after seven years, so they decided to get slaves. The plus side of slavery was that the slaves didn't get to leave ever and the white folks could buy and sell them. Some people said the Bible said slavery was okay but it really doesn't. Slavery is wrong. Slavery went on for a long time but then they passed some laws to end it.

The Moravians get a whole bunch of pages. And this isn't in the book but if you get a chance to visit Old Salem go for it. Go buy some bread and cookies because they are so good. And it is just a really neat place to visit.

The Scotch-Irish people came to the South and they feared God and nobody else. They were super eager to own their own land so they went and fought Indians to take it. They didn't really farm, they hunted and made guns.

Daniel Boone knew a lot about Indians and some say he could even think like an Indian. He fought Indians a lot but he never hated them.

I hate BJU (and BJU press) with a passion. I love how they distort my people (I am Creek Indian). I also love how they don't know jack shit about Charleston.

Brief history of Chas: They built their original town in West Ashley and called THAT Charleston Towne (1670). They moved to the peninsula at the behest of the Kiawa Indians to help protect them from the Yemassee. They built the wall to protect themselves from the Yemasse, not the Spanish. They then abused the Indians (surprise, surprise). I notice no mention of indigo (the first crop of Charleston) and as far rice; I have NOT heard the "wreck of a rice ship" before but alas, I spent more time talking about the antebellum period and the Civil war. Rice planting was NOT possible without the slaves.

Most of my knowledge of Charleston comes from my being a tour guide. My GRE was easier than the test i had to take to become a Charleston tour guide.

Oh,a nd I am NOT a bloody drink. I am Scottish or Scot-Irish, not a beverage. (Yes that drives me crazy.

Did I mention that I hate BJU? I now live in the upstate and used to drive past the school to get to work. I swear, you could feel the evil oozing from that place!

I attended an evangelical college and was a history major. I'm in my early 30s now and am still unraveling some of the stuff I was taught there. I mentioned to my husband recently that I was taught there is more proof of Jesus Christ being alive than Julius Caesar, and he burst out laughing and pointed out that we still have writings of Caesar that endure today, not to mention coins with his face on them! I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd never really thought much about it before.

I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for young children who are taught this stuff K-12 to break free from it.

I attended an evangelical college and was a history major. I'm in my early 30s now and am still unraveling some of the stuff I was taught there. I mentioned to my husband recently that I was taught there is more proof of Jesus Christ being alive than Julius Caesar, and he burst out laughing and pointed out that we still have writings of Caesar that endure today, not to mention coins with his face on them! I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd never really thought much about it before.

I cannot even imagine how hard it must be for young children who are taught this stuff K-12 to break free from it.

I was taught by an extremely over zealous health teacher (yes, you read that correctly) that Caesar had a type of STD (that wasn't even around in Europe until the 1500s) and that's what killed him. Yeah. This was the same idiot who taught that condoms were 80% effective and that birth control is basically a sham that never works. Any alcohol means you can't drive, so that glass of wine you had with dinner at the restaurant means you need to catch a cab home. OH! And this was my favourite - pot makes you impotent. He didn't like me very much and would actually hold me after class to tell me to stop purposely playing devil's advocate just for attention. I told I wasn't and that I actually disagreed with everything he said (like how he insisted that we all agree with him that McD should be sued for people getting fat. I can't make this shit up.) And the scary thing? This was a secular public school in a blue state that taught evolution. He was just fucking crazy.

OT, I know, but you mentioned Gaius Julius Caesar, so I had to mentioned by story about him. I'm still baffled by how that man got a job as a teacher.

I was taught by an extremely over zealous health teacher (yes, you read that correctly) that Caesar had a type of STD (that wasn't even around in Europe until the 1500s) and that's what killed him. Yeah. This was the same idiot who taught that condoms were 80% effective and that birth control is basically a sham that never works. Any alcohol means you can't drive, so that glass of wine you had with dinner at the restaurant means you need to catch a cab home. OH! And this was my favourite - pot makes you impotent. He didn't like me very much and would actually hold me after class to tell me to stop purposely playing devil's advocate just for attention. I told I wasn't and that I actually disagreed with everything he said (like how he insisted that we all agree with him that McD should be sued for people getting fat. I can't make this shit up.) And the scary thing? This was a secular public school in a blue state that taught evolution. He was just fucking crazy.

OT, I know, but you mentioned Gaius Julius Caesar, so I had to mentioned by story about him. I'm still baffled by how that man got a job as a teacher.

Was he a c oach?

Was he a c oach?

He was a coach. In addition to his amazing abilities of being a health class teacher AND a gym teacher, he was also a track coach! How versatile! :roll: Rumor was he chewed - ironically enough - but it was always "my friend saw it". Never heard a first hand account of it.

I had a health teacher that claimed you could get AIDS from a toilet seat or from using a toilet with unflushed urine in the bowl and this was in 1987, when that had already been disproved. She wasn't a coach, just a nitwit.

The next chapter is on the Revolutionary War and I haven't been able to force myself through it. It did remind kids that Ben Franklin, for all the good things he did, wasn't really a Christian so we all know where he went when he died. Hell is getting crowded.

I must say that I've greatly enjoyed reading through this thread. Alternating between hilarity and outright horror, but still. Thank you for these recaps - I can only imagine how difficult it would be to read the original :shock:

The next chapter is on the Revolutionary War and I haven't been able to force myself through it. It did remind kids that Ben Franklin, for all the good things he did, wasn't really a Christian so we all know where he went when he died. Hell is getting crowded.

Looking forward to the Revolutionary War. Will be happy to send virtual wine or tea or chocolate covered strawberries, or all three, to help you through this undertaking. I would imagine Thomas Jefferson would be there? At least the one I learned about.

Hell might be crowded, but quite the interesting and stimulating place. I'm not in a rush to get there, but will have a great time when there.

Archived