IGNORED

Bob Jones 3rd Grade History book

formergothardite

I found at the Goodwill the same Bob Jones history book that I used when I went to a Christian school. This is the 1993 version while I had the 80's version, but seems to be almost exactly the same as the one I had. It is called Heritage Studies and is supposed to teach children about their American heritage. It isn't very long and I am pretty sure it was just one of the history books used in third grade. If anyone is interested in me summarizing the very white Christian history that is taught in it, I will.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm pretty sure i had the same book! good lord, from what i remember, it was horrendous as far as actual history goes.

i'm pretty sure i had the same book! good lord, from what i remember, it was horrendous as far as actual history goes.

It really is no wonder that my knowledge of history is lacking :lol: I would hope that they have corrected this book by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is exactly the same today as it was in the 80's.

I'm going to go ahead and summarize parts of it because it is so fascinating to see how crazy fundie history is.

Introduction:

It has pictures of four children and explains that all these children are Christian. It tells a bit about the kids, their families and how they got saved. Robert's family is super rich and he lives in a giant house that his family has owned for over 200 years. He dad owns a factory, His mother doesn't work and has maids to clean the house for her. Robert got saved when he was seven.

Katie used to be Roman Catholic but a neighbor told them how to be a real Christian and the whole family got saved.

All of us can trace our heritage back to Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve sinned and now we are all sinners who need to be saved or when we die we won't go to heaven.

There are lots of languages because of the tower of Babel. Nobody knows when God made people different skin colors or gave them different color hair and eyes. But everything God does is right so this had to be a good idea.

God wants people to live in families. The father is the head of the family and the mother helps the father.

It is very important for Christians to learn about their Christian American heritage.

There is a picture of Steven who is in third grade. Steven realized he was a wicked sinner and got saved. He is going to heaven when he dies. Where will you go when you die? (Good grief there is so much talk about death in this book that it is like Steve Maxwell wrote it.)

I'm going to go ahead and summarize parts of it because it is so fascinating to see how crazy fundie history is.

Introduction:

It has pictures of four children and explains that all these children are Christian. It tells a bit about the kids, their families and how they got saved. Robert's family is super rich and he lives in a giant house that his family has owned for over 200 years. He dad owns a factory, His mother doesn't work and has maids to clean the house for her. Robert got saved when he was seven.

Katie used to be Roman Catholic but a neighbor told them how to be a real Christian and the whole family got saved.

All of us can trace our heritage back to Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve sinned and now we are all sinners who need to be saved or when we die we won't go to heaven.

There are lots of languages because of the tower of Babel. Nobody knows when God made people different skin colors or gave them different color hair and eyes. But everything God does is right so this had to be a good idea.

God wants people to live in families. The father is the head of the family and the mother helps the father.

It is very important for Christians to learn about their Christian American heritage.

There is a picture of Steven who is in third grade. Steven realized he was a wicked sinner and got saved. He is going to heaven when he dies. Where will you go when you die? (Good grief there is so much talk about death in this book that it is like Steve Maxwell wrote it.)

WTF? This is a history book? It sounds like something from Bible class. Oh wait.....

You must have a strong set of nerves. If I had seen a Bob Jones or A Beka book at a Goodwill, I'd be afraid to return. Which would kill me, because I love books and I love Goodwill.

Thank you for taking one for the team!

Oh man, I did Bob Jones history too. I remember one history book explaining that, unlike secular historians who think it was just natural forces, we know that the volcano that destroyed Pompeii was sent from God because of his wrath for their wicked lifestyle. :pink-shock:

I got really tired really fast of hearing that every bad thing that ever happened in the history of ever was because of God's wrath. So by second grade, I was pretty much over it.

Their god sure is an angry little fucker, isn't he?

:angry-screaming:

Chapter 1: Map Skills

Just regular map stuff. At the end of the chapter children are reminded that the Bible is God's map to heaven. Where will they go when they die?

Chapter 2.: The Indians

It opens with an explanation of how Indians got to America. After the Tower of Babel the Indians crossed a land bridge or maybe took boats and that is how they got here. They don't really have red skin, they just paint themselves red. Indians didn't have Bibles and their religion was based on legends passed down through the generations, but since it is false, they could not be saved and go to heaven when they died. Indians believed everyone should own the land. White people don't believe that way. Indians would steal but they didn't know stealing was wrong.

There are several pages about various Indian tribes and the different sort of houses they lived in. Children learn that

Indians now live on reservations. We don't know why God let white people take the Indian's land, but everything God does is good. God loves Indians too and He wants them to be saved.

One of the projects is to find a missionary who works on reservations. One of the questions is why is it wrong to learn about God from legends that are passed down instead of the Bible.

Chapter 1: Map Skills

Just regular map stuff. At the end of the chapter children are reminded that the Bible is God's map to heaven. Where will they go when they die?

It opens with an explanation of how Indians got to America. After the Tower of Babel the Indians crossed a land bridge or maybe took boats and that is how they got here. They don't really have red skin, they just paint themselves red. Indians didn't have Bibles and their religion was based on legends passed down through the generations, but since it is false, they could not be saved and go to heaven when they died. Indians believed everyone should own the land. White people don't believe that way. Indians would steal but they didn't know stealing was wrong.

There are several pages about various Indian tribes and the different sort of houses they lived in. Children learn that

Indians now live on reservations. We don't know why God let white people take the Indian's land, but everything God does is good. God loves Indians too and He wants them to be saved.

One of the projects is to find a missionary who works on reservations. One of the questions is why is it wrong to learn about God from legends that are passed down instead of the Bible.

:pink-shock:

I really had forgotten how awful Bob Jones was until reading this book. My oldest daughter saw it and wanted to read it because she loves history, but I had to explain that it wasn't really a history book.

this is even worse than i remember. i guess nowadays i shouldn't be too surprised when i see fundies making outlandish, racist, backwards statements, because it's pretty much what they were taught, not just from parents or other adults but from their textbooks.

Chapter 3: The Explorers

Vikings found North America first. They weren't Christian and we don't know why they didn't stay, but they didn't.

Years went by and people realized that the world wasn't flat. Christopher Columbus got the funds to find a new way to India. He finally found land(but not until after he endured a horrible journey with his men trying to murder him) As he stepped on land he saw strange painted faces peeking out from the trees. He swore that he would teach the Indians about Christ and that the gospel must be spread throughout the entire world. We aren't really sure if Christopher was a real Christian but he still knew the importance of teaching people about the Bible. He invited six Indians as to go visit Spain with him when he returned.

The rest of the chapter is just short paragraphs about various explorers that came after Columbus. At the end children are encouraged to come up with ways to spread the gospel of salvation all over the earth.

Chapter 3: The Explorers

Vikings found North America first. They weren't Christian and we don't know why they didn't stay, but they didn't.

Years went by and people realized that the world wasn't flat. Christopher Columbus got the funds to find a new way to India. He finally found land(but not until after he endured a horrible journey with his men trying to murder him) As he stepped on land he saw strange painted faces peeking out from the trees. He swore that he would teach the Indians about Christ and that the gospel must be spread throughout the entire world. We aren't really sure if Christopher was a real Christian but he still knew the importance of teaching people about the Bible. He invited six Indians as to go visit Spain with him when he returned.

The rest of the chapter is just short paragraphs about various explorers that came after Columbus. At the end children are encouraged to come up with ways to spread the gospel of salvation all over the earth.

Sounds like John Shrader got a hold of this book and it encouraged him to fly to the dangerous sahara of Africa so he could see curious painted faces peeking at him through shrubs, while he converted them and suffered without ice cubes.

You must have a strong set of nerves. If I had seen a Bob Jones or A Beka book at a Goodwill, I'd be afraid to return. Which would kill me, because I love books and I love Goodwill.

Thank you for taking one for the team!

I dislike Goodwill because of how they pay subminimum wages to people with disabilities (which sadly they are legally allowed to do) and claim it's for their own good.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... rhour.html The comments are worth reading for some more info as well.

In that intro, I thought a lot of fun dies thought that black people were black because of the "Curse of Ham". According to this thoroughly racist, whackadoodle idea, Ham was one of Noah's sons and he was cursed by God for "uncovering Noah's nakedness" after the water from the flood receded. The Curse? His skin became black.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a copy of the "history" textbook from a decade or two earlier that the Curse of Ham would have been in it.

Chapter 4: The New England Colonies

The Pilgrims start over to America in the Mayflower to have freedom of religion. During the voyage one of the sailors mocked God and died. Nobody mocked God after that. And a rebellious young man refused to drink his spoonful of lemon juice and he died. Everyone else lived. Moral of the story, don't mock God and obey your authorities. ~Are these stories true? I Googled but couldn't find anything about them, so I'm leaning towards them being totally made up.~

Almost everybody died the first year, but then Samoset showed up and helped them. That Fall they had a huge feast and invited all the local Indians. They had turkey, cornbread, pudding, and the Indians went and shot five deer to add to the feast. The Pilgrim marched around in a parade like way to the sound of drums and trumpets. After the meal the Indians and Pilgrims played games. It was worth all the suffering to have the freedom to worship God.

The first two years the Pilgrims planted one large field and everyone shared the food. This was a bad idea because it made people lazy. People work harder when they know that they are going to get all the food they grow.

The Puritans showed up and created Boston. There were tons of sheep. Every home had a spinning wheel. If a dog killed a sheep the owner would have to hang it. The fathers provided food and taught children about God. The mothers cooked and cleaned.

Two pages are devoted to talking about how miserable church was for the Puritans.

Puritans knew it was important for children to learn to read so they could read the Bible. Christians need to read the Bible every single day.

I dislike Goodwill because of how they pay subminimum wages to people with disabilities (which sadly they are legally allowed to do) and claim it's for their own good.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... rhour.html The comments are worth reading for some more info as well.

Unfortunately, this is not isolated to Goodwill. LOTS of employment programs do this, basically under the ablist thinking that giving people jobs should be enough, because they're making their lives "meaningful" or some shit. :angry-banghead:

Unfortunately, this is not isolated to Goodwill. LOTS of employment programs do this, basically under the ablist thinking that giving people jobs should be enough, because they're making their lives "meaningful" or some shit. :angry-banghead:

It's just especially galling being Goodwill. "We don't pay more because we don't want them to go over their income limits and lose benefits" when the hours they do work at minimum wage wouldn't even hit the halfway point of those limits.

Chapter 4: The New England Colonies

The Pilgrims start over to America in the Mayflower to have freedom of religion. During the voyage one of the sailors mocked God and died. Nobody mocked God after that. And a rebellious young man refused to drink his spoonful of lemon juice and he died. Everyone else lived. Moral of the story, don't mock God and obey your authorities. ~Are these stories true? I Googled but couldn't find anything about them, so I'm leaning towards them being totally made up.~

Almost everybody died the first year, but then Samoset showed up and helped them. That Fall they had a huge feast and invited all the local Indians. They had turkey, cornbread, pudding, and the Indians went and shot five deer to add to the feast. The Pilgrim marched around in a parade like way to the sound of drums and trumpets. After the meal the Indians and Pilgrims played games. It was worth all the suffering to have the freedom to worship God.

The first two years the Pilgrims planted one large field and everyone shared the food. This was a bad idea because it made people lazy. People work harder when they know that they are going to get all the food they grow.

The Puritans showed up and created Boston. There were tons of sheep. Every home had a spinning wheel. If a dog killed a sheep the owner would have to hang it. The fathers provided food and taught children about God. The mothers cooked and cleaned.

Two pages are devoted to talking about how miserable church was for the Puritans.

Puritans knew it was important for children to learn to read so they could read the Bible. Christians need to read the Bible every single day.

JFC, it is far far worse than I remember it! I cannot even begin to comprehend all that is wrong.

But seriously ONE of the sailors mocked God? Um, sure okay then.

How is it that all the trained teachers at my school taught this without batting an eye? I would like to get hold of the 80's version because I bet it was even worse than the 90's.

:shock: I am so thankful my parents' love affair with fundie-lite was BRIEF. I had so many homeschooled, skirts-exclusive friends at church and I remember BEGGING my parents to homeschool me. I thought it sounded like the coolest thing in the world. All my friends would talk about doing arts and crafts and workbooks and playing with their tamagotchis all day. That sounded a lot better than the school I was going to in the mid-90s where I had to get up early and only got 30 minutes of recess!

Luckily my parents are intelligent and educated, so I guess even if they had homeschooled me, they would have probably tossed my textbooks into the fire if they saw that they said "we don't know why God let white people take the Indians' land, but...well...God knows best, so there!" or that "Indian people didn't think anyone should own the land...but we white people don't think that" :roll: Speak for yourself, whitey!

JFC, it is far far worse than I remember it! I cannot even begin to comprehend all that is wrong.

But seriously ONE of the sailors mocked God? Um, sure okay then.

I also found the 3rd grade reading book and it has a story about the Mayflower and the story of the sailor cursing God and dying is in it too. It is said to be a true story in the reading book too.

I remember hearing something about the lemon juice when visiting Plimoth Plantation, it might be in the oral history without the God-spin. As far the curse God bit. There was enough of that in their writings that fundie ears would pick up and run with it.

Archived