IGNORED

I have a question for those in the know. SBC

FlorenceHamilton

My daughter told me that her boyfriend's father, who is pastor of a major metro SBC "First Baptist" church is thinking about leaving to run a ministry for orphans. He is in a very important position where he is. He cosiders himself a consevative Christian and he is politically connected. He has given convocations before US Congress, etc.

However, he also is the sort of old fashioned religious leader who reaches out to the community and participates in interfath initiatives for the people in his city. He considers Rabbi's and Priests and other religious leaders as friends and coleagues.

I am wondering if he is not being pushed to give up his flock because of his relatively progressive policies. As the religious arm of the right wing pushes further and further right, is it possible that the pastor is too liberal for the SBC? I disagree with this man on many issues, but I totally respect how he lives and works and leads. I am quite certain that there are no scandals of any sort in his life. He is a true learder of his community. Could his acceptance of diversity be too much for the SBC?

Beware. The SBC has had purges before of those that no longer toe the changing party line. To the best of my knowledge being interfaith is not against the SBC, but it's been too long for me to be able to say with certainty.

He has a negative view of homosexuality. He would not marry a gay couple in his church. He is not actively involved in ant-gay rhetoric or policies. He does marry interfaith couples. His thought is that an open arm policy will keep the possibility of a conversion alive, while rejection will result in the loss of two members, alsong with any children they may have. He is generally pretty conservative. He does not think that woman should be at the pulpit. (Although his wife has worked full time as a health/education professional throughout their marriage.) He generally supports Repubican politicians. He is anti abortion personally. I have never heard him specifically call for legislation against it, however. My guess is that he would be against using government monet to provide abortions, but stops short of demanding they be made illegal.

I once attended an event with this family and the speaker was Rahm Emmanuel. Rahm gave a great speech about public service. He applauded the speech and gave it high marks. I asked him about this. He told me the he completely disagreed with Mr. Emmanuel's ideas and his politics, but agreed totally that young people should consider using their education, training and skills to serve the public, both in elected office and out.

I did not share my thoughts with my daughter who thinks this is just a new calling for this man. But as a middle aged adult, you simply do not give up a great position in your career unless there is some sort of pressure to do so. This man has a large personal presence that is expected for the job he does. I do not think his ego would truly be fulfilled by something as humble and low profile as ministering to orphans. I will say that his favorite missions are those where small children are cared for. I think he may find solace in such a job if he is feeling like he may be forced from the SBC altogether.

Thanks for the input.

He has a negative view of homosexuality. He would not marry a gay couple in his church. He is not actively involved in ant-gay rhetoric or policies. He does marry interfaith couples. His thought is that an open arm policy will keep the possibility of a conversion alive, while rejection will result in the loss of two members, alsong with any children they may have. He is generally pretty conservative. He does not think that woman should be at the pulpit. (Although his wife has worked full time as a health/education professional throughout their marriage.) He generally supports Repubican politicians. He is anti abortion personally. I have never heard him specifically call for legislation against it, however. My guess is that he would be against using government monet to provide abortions, but stops short of demanding they be made illegal.

I once attended an event with this family and the speaker was Rahm Emmanuel. Rahm gave a great speech about public service. He applauded the speech and gave it high marks. I asked him about this. He told me the he completely disagreed with Mr. Emmanuel's ideas and his politics, but agreed totally that young people should consider using their education, training and skills to serve the public, both in elected office and out.

I did not share my thoughts with my daughter who thinks this is just a new calling for this man. But as a middle aged adult, you simply do not give up a great position in your career unless there is some sort of pressure to do so. This man has a large personal presence that is expected for the job he does. I do not think his ego would truly be fulfilled by something as humble and low profile as ministering to orphans. I will say that his favorite missions are those where small children are cared for. I think he may find solace in such a job if he is feeling like he may be forced from the SBC altogether.

Thanks for the input.

I don't know. My experience is that sometimes you do change in middle age. And if he is like how you say he is he could do an excellent job fundraising for a non profit. He doesn't need to be physically ministering to them if he is running the ministry.

Archived