IGNORED

Is TLC going "all in" with the fundies these days?

Rainytown

Question: Has anyone else wondered if TLC is going all in with the fundies these days (Duggars, rumored spinoff with Jill and Derick, "Home Sweet Bus") because they think they're going to insulate themselves from more Honey Boo Boo-type scandals?

BTW, the "Home Sweet Bus" people seem to be Gothard adherents as well. After all, Daddy is "guarding" the daughters' hearts.

Anyone who hooks up with TLC hooks up with the Devil Incarnate. Look at how controlling TLC is with these families. Of Course the Duggars don't see them as controlling because they see dollar signs. We know Jimbob Duggar will do anything to make money now that he has got the taste of the almighty dollar under his belt. JimBob better be careful though. TLC can cut him and his brood off as fast as they signed him and the Duggetts up to do a show.

It's got nothing to do with getting in bed with fundies. TLC cares about MONEY, and money only. The Duggars are bringing in ratings, which are bringing in advertising dollars. People will tune in to watch Jill and Derrick. They are trying out another "quirky, religious, large family" based on the Duggars' success. If they don't bring in good ratings, they will be cut faster than you can finish saying "Gil Bates is a world class grifter." ;)

It's got nothing to do with getting in bed with fundies. TLC cares about MONEY, and money only. The Duggars are bringing in ratings, which are bringing in advertising dollars.

Have to agree with that. TLC kept Jon and Kate which had big ratings, and took off Table for 12, cause it did not!

Sister Wives was their top show for ratings the first couple seasons, then Little Couple, who doesn't need your silly TLC money. Now the Duggars are their top show, so I guess they're just following the money.

I'm still holding on for a Breaking Duggar, just like my move to the big city into sin so long ago. :D

I posted about this a few days ago too. The bus show, the family starting a new church (in Alabama I think?), the virgin camp show...

I miss the olden days of Duggars when they still poked fun at them with the editing. Now it's almost like they're trying to make their sermons about purity and modesty seem rational. Stop it, TLC!!!

I guess all of those new shows must have just been pilots getting tested, because they're not listed on the website yet. Maybe they will just pick one for a full season based on the ratings?

I think the bus family might just be absurd enough to make it for one full season, but I can't see people tolerating them beyond that. How do they even fit a camera crew on that bus? Aren't they crowded enough already?

Question: Has anyone else wondered if TLC is going all in with the fundies these days (Duggars, rumored spinoff with Jill and Derick, "Home Sweet Bus") because they think they're going to insulate themselves from more Honey Boo Boo-type scandals?

BTW, the "Home Sweet Bus" people seem to be Gothard adherents as well. After all, Daddy is "guarding" the daughters' hearts.

1) What the hell can possibly be interesting about a Dill Show? Watch Jill's slow decent into insanity as she tries to occupy her time with Pinterest now she's not raising a herd?

2) Easy to "guard" your daughters' hearts when they've grown up never getting to attach to people outside the immediate people on the bus. How many people do you think they're around long enough to care about?

The only TLC family that I could even stand to spend any length of time with (knock on wood) is The Little Couple. Bill and Jen both seem like really great people, and since they don't need TLC's money they don't seem to let TLC run their lives like the Duggars and some of these other families.

(I used to say that about the Honey Boo Boo family, but booooy was I wrong about them. Wow.)

The only TLC family that I could even stand to spend any length of time with (knock on wood) is The Little Couple. Bill and Jen both seem like really great people, and since they don't need TLC's money they don't seem to let TLC run their lives like the Duggars and some of these other families.

I feel the same way about Jen & Bill. Although I think them having a show helped finance their trips to get their kids.

I miss "What Not to Wear". That was the last decent show (imo) that was on TLC.

I do love the Little Couple. I think Bill's statements about being a father are spot on.. he reminds me so much of my husband when we were adopting... their ways of coping with life are much more difficult than the ones the Duggars have to deal with; yet, they handle everything with grace and level-headed-ness.

I loved, loved, LOVED What Not to Wear! I always wanted them to come to the person's town, give them, say TWO thousand dollars, and help them shop for clothing at the places where the person would actually shop from there out... see how easy it would be THEN!

Is the bus show still on? I only saw that once. I'm wondering about the people giving up electricity to save themselves. There have to be some fundie undertones there.

Is the bus show still on? I only saw that once. I'm wondering about the people giving up electricity to save themselves. There have to be some fundie undertones there.

I think the bus show was a one time thing.

I've been seeing the promos and read the introduction to the show Risking It All. I think my head's going to explode if I watch this show, esp. the family where the mom has health issues. Going off meds cold turkey if you have rheumatoid arthritis is a good way to get permanent disability from joint destruction. On top of that, she's got a blood clotting issue - how the hell is it not risky as hell for her to be off the grid?

I miss "What Not to Wear". That was the last decent show (imo) that was on TLC.

I miss the days when TLC had more makeover/fashion-related shows that weren't all about weddings. I mean, I like 'Something Borrowed, Something New' because I'm a fashion designer and I appreciate the notion of upcycling, but what about everyday fashion?

There's really no more 'Learning' in TLC, it's jsut the families in fishbowls freakshow channel.

I miss the days when TLC had more makeover/fashion-related shows that weren't all about weddings. I mean, I like 'Something Borrowed, Something New' because I'm a fashion designer and I appreciate the notion of upcycling, but what about everyday fashion?

There's really no more 'Learning' in TLC, it's jsut the families in fishbowls freakshow channel.

Same here, I really loved "What Not to Wear" and before TLC became The Looney Channel as someone on FB commented after Bessa's wedding was on People Magazine's Facebook page.

I've been seeing the promos and read the introduction to the show Risking It All. I think my head's going to explode if I watch this show, esp. the family where the mom has health issues. Going off meds cold turkey if you have rheumatoid arthritis is a good way to get permanent disability from joint destruction. On top of that, she's got a blood clotting issue - how the hell is it not risky as hell for her to be off the grid?

I didn't realize she had RA as well. So, going off the grid is going to "save" her family when she is going to be unable to live her daily life due to the fact she's voluntarily going off of her meds? Good luck with that. And wouldn't she also be on blood thinners as well?

Ridiculous, dangerous and flat-out STUPID. Hey, TLC, I'm betting her dropping dead on-air will really make the viewers flock.

-R

has RA as well

I posted about this a few days ago too. The bus show, the family starting a new church (in Alabama I think?), the virgin camp show...

eh02, I'm so sorry if I stepped on your toes.

It is really weird. And I am betting that Mark Driscoll (of Mars Hill) will be offered a show, if it hasn't already happened.

It's got nothing to do with getting in bed with fundies. TLC cares about MONEY, and money only. The Duggars are bringing in ratings, which are bringing in advertising dollars. People will tune in to watch Jill and Derrick. They are trying out another "quirky, religious, large family" based on the Duggars' success. If they don't bring in good ratings, they will be cut faster than you can finish saying "Gil Bates is a world class grifter." ;)

Maybe they are looking for another huge family which is still growing (as in the mother is still getting pregnant every year). After all, that was the big thing with the Duggars and now that Michelle isn't getting pregnant again (and even if she could, I'm not viewers would feel okay with her doing it after Josie and Jubilee) they might be looking for the next crazy Quiverfull family to promote - one where the kids are still young and everything looks sweet and charming (how many fans used to view the Duggars/some still do! :wtf: )

I'm sort of surprised that the Bates TLC show didn't get better ratings. Why do you think that is? It seems like, from comments I've read, that people like the Bates family more than the Duggars, but it didn't translate into ratings.

Yeah, those promos make me uncomfortable. The medical one is crazy, as you say...and the one who says they are doing it to save their marriage... If you have to go to those extremes to "save your family" something is just wrong. I think the whole thing is going to be much more difficult and hazardous (to their health - all of them) than they realize.

Yeah, those promos make me uncomfortable. The medical one is crazy, as you say...and the one who says they are doing it to save their marriage... If you have to go to those extremes to "save your family" something is just wrong. I think the whole thing is going to be much more difficult and hazardous (to their health - all of them) than they realize.

I just read through the descriptions for Risking It All. It seems like each family's problem could be better solved through therapy. The family that is trying to save their marriage made me think of one of the couples that was on PBS's Frontier House. The stress of having to live off the land did not make their shaky marriage any stronger. SPOILER ALERT! They divorced soon after filming ended.

Maybe they are looking for another huge family which is still growing (as in the mother is still getting pregnant every year). After all, that was the big thing with the Duggars and now that Michelle isn't getting pregnant again (and even if she could, I'm not viewers would feel okay with her doing it after Josie and Jubilee) they might be looking for the next crazy Quiverfull family to promote - one where the kids are still young and everything looks sweet and charming (how many fans used to view the Duggars/some still do! :wtf: )

I'm sort of surprised that the Bates TLC show didn't get better ratings. Why do you think that is? It seems like, from comments I've read, that people like the Bates family more than the Duggars, but it didn't translate into ratings.

i don't know why, because i love the Bates too, but maybe it's because the Duggars are crazy and dysfunctional: so much snarktastic potential. :lol: Plus they seem to be more active, less homey, than the Bates. And JB is a social climber probably willing to sign off on more scripting and sell his family cheaper. Sad situation, for the kids.

Risking It All is a disaster waiting to happen. Please, please let this info about the sick woman be untrue.

I didn't realize she had RA as well. So, going off the grid is going to "save" her family when she is going to be unable to live her daily life due to the fact she's voluntarily going off of her meds? Good luck with that. And wouldn't she also be on blood thinners as well?

Ridiculous, dangerous and flat-out STUPID. Hey, TLC, I'm betting her dropping dead on-air will really make the viewers flock.

-R

has RA as well

I made a point of watching the first episode because I had the same initial reaction. I suspect it is all TLC hype for drama and story line. She could have just be chucking analgesics on the show and not be risking her life and/or joint health.

Per the first show, she has "degenerative" arthritis so not necessarily the autoimmune RA. Could be osteo. Also, she says she has von Willebrand disease (VWB) but not to what degree.

I have mild/moderate VWB. It is a clotting disorder and I was dx in my teens. I develop spectacular bruises at the slightest bump, need bigger bandaids (sometimes layering them on tiny wounds till the bleeding stops), and had very heavy periods. No daily meds because the treatment is stopping excessive bleeding when it happens.

It hardly affects me at all in day to day life. VBD only becomes relevant if I cut or injure myself badly, or have to have surgery or tooth extractions. Yeah, childbirth can be high risk and miscarriages can be life-threatening but I'm past that and I think this woman is too. I am also another person in the RA club, in remission right now - thanks meds, and have age related osteoarthritis. Who says you can't have more than one type?

I could probably live off-grid (if they are truly off-grid) without risking my life for a few months, but I'd much rather not!

They were a bit crunchy granola, but this family seemed the nicest of the three by far. The others were a fairly Fundie family with a lot of drama from mama, and some people trying to save their marriage. I gave the last couple less than 3 months to divorce. Or kill each other.

Found this:

http://starcasm.net/archives/296496

So, for 2 of the families, this was basically a big summer camping trip, and they went back to their regular lives.

No real further details on the mom with arthritis, but she had already been living a rural life and growing her own stuff. The big thing motivating the move seemed to be the weather, because the extremes in Kansas weren't good for her.

I wonder if they will get into the medical stuff in more detail. Inflammatory forms of arthritis like rheumatoid require treatment to avoid joint destruction. Osteoarthritis doesn't, and you just use painkillers. Some natural stuff is actually helpful - for example, stress can cause RA to flare up, there can be environmental triggers, some people improve if they go gluten-free and basil and fish oils help. You don't suddenly go off meds, though, because you don't want to make it flare up. You wean off the meds and keep monitoring how things are going.

Archived