IGNORED

I'm in the lord army

Marianne

Now, now... they really need to work those choreographies though! My 5yr old daughter´s child athletics group has better group coordination control than this "lord´s army" there :lol:

Also, when you are going to shoot a propaganda video, ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE FRONT ROWS ARE FILLED BEST, DAMNIT!

One really has to teach them even the most minor basics *insertunderwhelmedrollingeyesexpressionhere*

Their marching leaves a lot to be desired. And their uniforms clearly weren't designed by Hugo Boss. /end sarcasm

Bible school song at our church, used before the classes to help burn off a bit of energy before the ~hour of bible stories. Then, outside for running games and back for a cookie and koolaid before craft time and our parents coming to pic us up.

in the 60s.

Our dads certainly didn't get together to sing it!

oh my gods, this totally just brought back memories! i can almost smell the old church smell and hear all the kids singing this during children's church or vbs. this was one of our favourite songs to do because the motions were lots of fun. (although, we didn't use the straightened hand, we just thrust our arm up in the air with a fist haphazardly...some kid's might be straight up, some in varying degrees lol but it was always a fist)

but college aged students doing it? that's just...weird.

Weird is putting it mildly... they look like they have a collective high! :lol:

At least one can be sure: with this pasty army, the fundies can´t even conquer a flowerpot ^^

Bible school song at our church, used before the classes to help burn off a bit of energy before the ~hour of bible stories. Then, outside for running games and back for a cookie and koolaid before craft time and our parents coming to pic us up.

in the 60s.

Our dads certainly didn't get together to sing it!

We sang this song in Sunday school or Bible school as kids in mainline Protestant churches, too. In the 70s and 80s. No extending the right arm, though. It was a favorite because of the actions.

But a group of adults singing it? With the actions??? No. Just no.

We sang this song in Sunday school or Bible school as kids in mainline Protestant churches, too. In the 70s and 80s. No extending the right arm, though. It was a favorite because of the actions.

But a group of adults singing it? With the actions??? No. Just no.

now that i think about it, i think we may have sung it at least once in church, in the general congregation.

but the kids were the only ones who did the motions. the rest of the adults just sang.

That tune was really familiar, and I realized that there are multiple versions of that song - with very different meanings.

The version I heard at camp (not Christian) replaced "may never" with "don't want to" and "I'm in the Lord's Army" with "I just wanna be friends". In other words - it was a secular song about pacifist song. I remember singing it with actions.

Apparently, a 3rd version replaces "Lord's Army" with "King's Navy". I wonder if that was the original?

That's...uh...not funny; it's rotten. Oh please, for the love of all that's good, never underestimate the level of absolute crazy that can grow out of things like that.

I loved this song as a kid. College students is weird, though.

I'll add that the "arm straight in front of them" thing is a regular salute-- the song goes, "Yes, sir!" and the motion is to salute in rhythm. I never thought twice about it as a kid. Not sure if I should be bothered by it now or not.

Wow. What really 'angrys up my blood' about this is that those 'men' (and I use the term loosely), doing the same impression of an airplane with outstretched arms and singing a children's song with no children in the room are the same mo-fos that think they should be above me in authority no matter my education or experience because penis. Yeah, all those guys in the audience? Future headships, unquestionable leaders of their families. :?

I loved this song as a kid. College students is weird, though.

I'll add that the "arm straight in front of them" thing is a regular salute-- the song goes, "Yes, sir!" and the motion is to salute in rhythm. I never thought twice about it as a kid. Not sure if I should be bothered by it now or not.

I think Marianne is referring to whatever is going on at around 0:59 - 1:02, I can´t understand the preachin´guy, he sounds like he has a half-eaten bologna sandwich in his mouth... :lol:

Sent the video link to my very musical dad, who was at a Sängerschaft (that´s like a fraternity, which really likes singing) in his student times. He was greatly worried, wants to send them care packages with tuning forks and fitting trousers for christmas!

That video is of students at West Coast Baptist College - unaccredited college of course. It's where young Timothy Lockwood is a student but I couldn't spot him in the video.

Yeah, I think the Nazi salute is accidental. I hope so. You'd think they would be more careful.

Isn't that a Fundie version of "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness."

Grown men singing the song like children, complete with hand motions? Okaaaay.....

I never heard that song in church. As a kid, I knew the tune as "The Old Gray Mare."

If anyone is interested, here's a video about the history of the song, including other lyrics that have been used. Strangely, it does not include the Lord's Army version. (It sounds like a cult!)

youtube.com/watch?v=iAsm822jmZw

I think Marianne is referring to whatever is going on at around 0:59 - 1:02, I can´t understand the preachin´guy, he sounds like he has a half-eaten bologna sandwich in his mouth... :lol:

Sent the video link to my very musical dad, who was at a Sängerschaft (that´s like a fraternity, which really likes singing) in his student times. He was greatly worried, wants to send them care packages with tuning forks and fitting trousers for christmas!

No, no, I was speaking about the "Yes sir", but I heard "Hey Sir", so the "Hey" + the hand... anyway, I think they should be more carefull about it. The scout supressed their salute, in France, because it was so close to the Nazi Salute.

Plus, they are totally ridiculous :D

OOOOH. Didn't notice that the first time through. Looks like a cross between a fist-pump and lifting hands for an "Amen."

Grown men singing the song like children, complete with hand motions? Okaaaay.....

I never heard that song in church. As a kid, I knew the tune as "The Old Gray Mare."

If anyone is interested, here's a video about the history of the song, including other lyrics that have been used. Strangely, it does not include the Lord's Army version. (It sounds like a cult!)

Thank your for the video ! That was interesting !

It really isn't a cult thing. I learned it in a mainline Protestant church (Christian-Disciples of Christ) as a young child and recall singing it in children's activities in Lutheran (ELCA--the most liberal), United Methodist and Presbyterian churches (USA--again the most liberal of that denomination). (My parents could not settle on a denomination, plus we moved a lot and lived in rural areas with few choices) I think it likely came from the same kinds of origins that hymns like "Onward Christian Soldiers" came from. It was just a song for kids when I was growing up, one that allowed a lot of movement which is good with a large group of squirmy children. No one was using it to teach theology or practice.

Now when a group of grown men are singing it...that may be different in tone. I don't know. Watching them do the actions comes off very childish and stunted to me more than anything else, though.

OH! Now then I was wron there :) sorry @Firiel & Marianne.

Still weird though.

Saluto romano is forbidden here, but I think that goes for most countries anyway.

Isn´t this the scout salute?

http://rossotron.com/wp/wp-content/uplo ... de0003.jpg

It's most like that : http://troupecxx.free.fr/presentation/i ... omesse.jpg and for your "promesse", it's like that : http://www.toujourspret.com/techniques/ ... messe7.gif . Imagine this, at night, with people in uniform, with big fires. they supressed it in the 50's I think, anly scout of traditional catholic have it.

I got the feeling it was a poorly done benediction/blessing sort of movement in response to whatever the leader was saying (was that tongues? A healing exhortation) at about 53-60 where he is shaking and rocking his hips back and forth (like he was prepping for work at Starbucks, perhaps??)

Archived