IGNORED

Throwback Bates Pics - Frumperific

lilith

Kelly has posted some photos from a hike the family took in 2008. They are interesting, but what I find fascinating is seeing Allyssa in her frumper - she's almost unrecognisable!

asugyna8.jpge3u6a3ev.jpgu2ugereg.jpg

More on the blog....

So this is what Alyssa looked like before she started plucking her eyebrows ... so much better, in my opinion!

I'm a little jealous. I've always wanted to go to Leconte Lodge. It's an inn in Great Smoky Mountain National Park accessible only on foot or by horseback.

Alyssa looks a lot like Michael.

And man, Erin looks so different without the make-up and in a frumper!

Wow, Alyssa looks so different since she has lost those cheeks and started plucking her eyebrows !

And I wouldn't have been able to recognize Josie either, she has changed a lot too.

I suppose Zach, Michael and Lawson stayed behind to look after the little ones ? I can't help but think that it musn't have been very fun for them :/

Edit : because for some reason I forgot Zach.

I actually think Erin's frumper isn't all that modest: It's really low cut under the arm. Yes, she's wearing a t-shirt underneath but the way it drapes over her boobs ...

I'm also jealous of this hike. Kelly's replies on this post are quite interesting. She explains they left the little kids at home for this strenuous hike--good for them-you know the Duggars would have dragged along the whole damn 3 ring circus, appropriate or not.

And then someone asks (a FJer?) about the girls wearing much more modern clothing these days, and who made that decision. Kelly says, in part:

"The kids got older, so they began shopping for themselves. Plus, we probably did have stricter rules, but we’ve realized that rules are just rules if its not in the heart... The choices we made were “our†choices, and many of those choices we hope the kids follow….but we do want the focus to be on them learning to communicate with God and learning to choose for themselves...Our decisions in life were a growing experience…It took time, and we’re still growing and evaluating. Sometimes we might say, “You know we probably carried that a little too far…†Other times we might lighten up too much and say, “Hey a few guidelines would be a wise caution.""

I'm also jealous of this hike. Kelly's replies on this post are quite interesting. She explains they left the little kids at home for this strenuous hike--good for them-you know the Duggars would have dragged along the whole damn 3 ring circus, appropriate or not.

And then someone asks (a FJer?) about the girls wearing much more modern clothing these days, and who made that decision. Kelly says, in part:

"The kids got older, so they began shopping for themselves. Plus, we probably did have stricter rules, but we’ve realized that rules are just rules if its not in the heart... The choices we made were “our†choices, and many of those choices we hope the kids follow….but we do want the focus to be on them learning to communicate with God and learning to choose for themselves...Our decisions in life were a growing experience…It took time, and we’re still growing and evaluating. Sometimes we might say, “You know we probably carried that a little too far…†Other times we might lighten up too much and say, “Hey a few guidelines would be a wise caution.""

Sounds like Kelly realizes that she has kids, and kids think for themselves and are independent beings beyond the infant stage. I think, compared to J'chelle, Kelly is a true honest to god adult capable of functioning in the world, instead of shilling like Jchelle. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a little jealous. I've always wanted to go to Leconte Lodge. It's an inn in Great Smoky Mountain National Park accessible only on foot or by horseback.

Mt. LeConte and the surrounding smokey mountains are beautiful! I did this hike with Mr. Kitties a few years ago. Beautiful views with the leaves changing color in the fall. They have a "llama train" that goes up twice a week with provisions for the lodge. We brought food with us, but you can stay the night up on the mountain or just enjoy a meal. Definitely not for little kids but a great side trip if you are ever in the smokies!

It was interesting to read Kelly's comments a few hours before standing in line at Walgreen's and skimming that latest J'Slaves puff piece in People. The People piece pointed out that the J'Slaves believe in covering their collar bones. The Bates certainly no longer care about flashing the collar bone!

It was interesting to read Kelly's comments a few hours before standing in line at Walgreen's and skimming that latest J'Slaves puff piece in People. The People piece pointed out that the J'Slaves believe in covering their collar bones. The Bates certainly no longer care about flashing the collar bone!

ugh, i can't even cover my collar bone, i feel claustrophobic and like i'm being strangled.

though, i thought i've seen some j'slaves wearing tops that dip below the collar bone...

ugh, i can't even cover my collar bone, i feel claustrophobic and like i'm being strangled.

though, i thought i've seen some j'slaves wearing tops that dip below the collar bone...

Me too, so I was surprised to see it in the People article. I thought that in a lot of fundy circles (including Orthodox Judaism) the rule was 2 fingers below the collar bone was ok!

[although I am currently working at home and, I just realized, wearing a ratty sweat shirt that covers my collar bone]

Sounds like Kelly realizes that she has kids, and kids think for themselves and are independent beings beyond the infant stage. I think, compared to J'chelle, Kelly is a true honest to god adult capable of functioning in the world, instead of shilling like Jchelle. Just my 2 cents.

If we were to give Jchelle and Kelly an IQ test...

Whenever we praise Kelly Bates, let us remember this:

Kelly is an adult who had the opportunity to grow and develop her critical thinking skills at a REAL college and cultivate maturity through having real young-adult experiences. What we praise in Kelly is, essentially, the byproduct of a good education and the opportunity to grow through experience.

And Kelly, though profiting from this, denies this to her children.

Michelle, at the very least, is not profiting from experiences that she now withholds from others.

I thought that in a lot of fundy circles (including Orthodox Judaism) the rule was 2 fingers below the collar bone was ok!

The rule is covering the collarbone, except by some Modern Orthodox.

I'm suddenly feeling a weird urge to find and try on a frumper, just to see how I look.

I'm suddenly feeling a weird urge to find and try on a frumper, just to see how I look.

I went to a wedding reception last weekend, and I wore a long skirt (skirts at all are very unusual for me, but when I do wear them, I go long) and a scoop-necked shirt.

I originally wore a camisole under the shirt because I like the peekaboo lace look, and also so I wouldn't have to worry about flashing anyone if I bent over.

Halfway to the wedding I realized how warm it was out and that I was going to roast, so I pulled over at a quiet spot and removed the camisole -- and in the process realized how Maxwellian I am when it comes to clothes, ack!

I guess the difference is that I'm not modest because I think Dog is telling me to, I prefer to dress modestly most of the time because it's what I feel comfortable in and what I think looks best on my body. It's not always consistent with their modesty rules, but a good portion of the time it is. Not sure if I should laugh or cry about that, ha!

I do agree that Kelly and Gil are more likable that JimBob and Michelle. Now- I am not sure if they just really are a tiny bit nicer or if they just have more life experience and self awareness.

I will say that Kelly is the only fundie mom I have ever seen admit that their rules were too stringent- that they re-evaluated what didn't work for their family and made changes.

It gives me more hope that their own kids will be able to make their own standards for dress, education, etc. once they are out of the Bates house and not feel completely guilty about it.

I think we will see more of the Bates kids get closer to mainstream as they marry out of the family and move away. The Duggars will just get more insular and stranger as they all live in the same town. I think Josh got out, but no way JB and Michelle are letting that happen again.

The fact still remains that Kelly deprived her kids of the things she got to do. She can take those sugary sweet comments and shove it. They are only dressing better because they have more money now. The only things they have reevaluated is how to kiss Gothard's ass so Gil could get on the board of directors and how to marry their kids off to fundie royalty.

Erin earned a (albeit unaccredited) college degree; Zach met his now-wife, unchaperoned, while she was working at a fast-food restaurant; Three daughters: Erin, Alyssa & Michael,

have all worked outside the home.

If a Duggarling met someone of the opposite sex, unchaperoned, in a non-church setting, I bet the Duggars would probably concoct some flatout lie about it for the TLC viewers!

And I am sorry to say that, for all their shilling for College Plus, I doubt we will see any Duggars earn college degrees in the next 3-4 years.

I'd much rather be a Bates than a Duggar.

I went to a wedding reception last weekend, and I wore a long skirt (skirts at all are very unusual for me, but when I do wear them, I go long) and a scoop-necked shirt.

I originally wore a camisole under the shirt because I like the peekaboo lace look, and also so I wouldn't have to worry about flashing anyone if I bent over.

Halfway to the wedding I realized how warm it was out and that I was going to roast, so I pulled over at a quiet spot and removed the camisole -- and in the process realized how Maxwellian I am when it comes to clothes, ack!

I guess the difference is that I'm not modest because I think Dog is telling me to, I prefer to dress modestly most of the time because it's what I feel comfortable in and what I think looks best on my body. It's not always consistent with their modesty rules, but a good portion of the time it is. Not sure if I should laugh or cry about that, ha!

Archived