IGNORED

Creationist asks 'if evolution is true, is rape wrong?'

dairyfreelife

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/11/c ... ignite.com

“You have to start asking questions: Well, if evolution is true, and it’s just all about the male propagating their DNA, we had to ask hard questions, like, well, is rape wrong?†Isaacs said, as one of his hosts gasps.

Seems to be confusing evolution a bit with social darwinism and also eugenics.

Ugh, it makes me furious when christians act as if they are the only ones who have morals and know right from wrong.

to quote Rust Cohle from True Detective

If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of shit.

Ugh, it makes me furious when christians act as if they are the only ones who have morals and know right from wrong.

Evolution is just the method by which organisms change over time on a large scale. It doesn't make decisions or judgments and has no moral implications.

Luckily most people can respect laws, the bodily autonomy of others and/or the benefits of a peaceful society, whether they're being watched by the CreeperDeity of their choice or not :roll:

The comments are awesome. lol Fave one: "Just another example of projection."

Instead of having an honest discussion about science guys like that go way out on a limb and scare people into thinking society will collapse. :roll:

Reminds me of guys who react to feminism and equality of the sexes by saying "so its okay for me to punch you now?".

Like, if you need something like that to keep you from punching, or in this case, raping, then you're a pretty shit human being indeed.

to quote Rust Cohle from True Detective

Love that quote, and the rest of it too: "And I’d like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What’s that say about your reality?â€

Well for one thing, the Bible (where I assume his believe in Creationism comes from) doesn’t exactly condemn rape. It’s advocated as a weapon in war and as a spoil of war. The closest it comes to condemning it is when a man who rapes a virgin has to pay her father for his damaged property and then marry her. Let’s not pretend it’s the foundation of our modern rape laws or even most of our traditional/societal sexual morality - that's more from the church and human constructed reasons.

And let’s not forget that “Biblical marriage†was often polygamous and powerful men had slaves/concubines on the side as well. So by his often defined “evolutionary worldview†the Bible is advocating more than 1 man 1 women, therefore it accepts evolution exists. But apart from that the Evolution has been around as a theory since before the 1850s and “traditional marriage†has yet to break down.

Leaving aside that this guy is a POS wannabe rapist...

Evolutionary theory has been the basis of modern science for close to a hundred years now, and in that time, not only has rape become more and more illegal, but other forms of non-consensual violence have also become more illegal. Clearly, as the influence of religion wanes, the importance of consent becomes more and more of a concern for society.

Remember when a husband could freely rape his wife? And now we're concerned not just about rape, but sexual assault of all kinds, assault of children, about infants being unable to consent to genital surgery (not just traditional forms, but intersex sex assignment).

Clearly, even if biology was a myth, a society based on science sees rape and other non-consensual acts as more of a problem than one based on religion does.

If gravity is real, does this mean I can go and hit this guy on the head with a science textbook?

Well, he obviously is talking about female rape being OK. I doubt he's want to be on the receiving end of an evolutionary example of dominance.

Well, he obviously is talking about female rape being OK. I doubt he's want to be on the receiving end of an evolutionary example of dominance.

well of course not, because babies

I'm confused. Is he referring to legitimate rape? I would assume so bc only legitimate rape can result in pregnancy and since evolution is about the male needing to procreate his DNA everywhere, and can/will do so by rape, then he can only be referring to legitimate rape. Right?? :cray-cray:

Archived