IGNORED

Pope says kids, not pets

Closed Womb

http://time.com/2814527/pope-francis-dogs-cats-pets/

Us selfish, childless people are raising furkids to afford vacations!

Or, maybe, we don't want to pass on congenial health problems.

Maybe paying high deductibles and spending entire summers in different cities that treat Mr Wombs problems has left us unable to afford kids (or vacations. )

Maybe I don't want to raise a child alone if my husband dies young.

Mabye his holiness can STFU.

Honestly, I have more respect for fundies who admit they want to attain a majority and dominate politics than I do for this passive-agressive BS.

he sure makes it sound like if you don't breed it is not a christian marriage. of course this advice kills children in 3rd world countries but that's not a big deal they are not true Christians.

Ugg!

As an infertile Catholic whose dog gives her great comfort during the adoption wait, this frustrates me to no end. Ideally we would have our dog AND kids (goodness knows our dog would prefer that, he adores children) but that hasn't been possible so far.

I wonder what he thinks of families that have both children and pets -- did my parents and grandparents love their children less because they had pets too?

Oh please. The pope does not have children. It was his choice to be celibate and childless. Why is this not any more selfish than my choice not to have children? Indeed, why is not having children selfish? I think there is a reasonable argument that with the world's population being what it is - HAVING children is the selfish choice. I never wanted children and I never had any. I did want pets and I do have pets. How dare the pope decide that my choice is any less valid than anyone else's? I knew he would show his true colours soon enough.

NB: I am sorry if I have offended/hurt anyone who wants children but can't have them. This was not my intention. I only wish to stand up for my choice.

edited for punctuation

What a good idea! Let's all take marriage/family advice from a celibate man! :roll:

Having children does not guarantee on will not die alone Mr Pope who chose not to have children.

Srsly...RAGE

Wow, that is just. So insensitive and disconnected for him to have said that. My hubby and I are done with biological children (hopefully lol) We're going to use our extra income to raise the two we have very well, and give to needy kids. Eventually we're planning on fostering.

I guess you just can't expect someone who's got a master's degree in chemistry and been in the clergy all of his adult life, and never had a family to understand the details. bio here: biography.com/people/pope-francis-21152349#awesm=~oGgzUxx8Ti8tr0

1) Someone without kids (presumably!) should not give child having advice to anyone as they don't really know what they're talking about.

2) Having kids is fucking hard and I wanted them. Pregnancy is fucking hard, and I wanted that too. After being pregnant, and raising kids for 2 years so far, more than ever I think if you don't 100% want kids, DON'T HAVE THEM.

This irks the shit out of me (both as a Catholic and a kitty mama) because Rome is full of stray cats who need homes. There's a cat shelter called Torre Argentina in Rome where they take care of hundreds but there are so many more...

Another example of why voluntarily celibate clergy have NO BUSINESS addressing the marriage/children question.

KIDS, NOT CELIBACY.

Maybe start by reproducing yourself first, then come and tell me and my dogs how to live our perfectly good lives.

The ironic thing is that he got his name from the patron saint of animals, St Francis of Assisi.

I am Episcopalian & most of our churches have a pet blessing in the fall. My snake has been to church probably as many times in his 17 years as my almost-3 YO has been. Is my snake more godly than my child??

I am Episcopalian & most of our churches have a pet blessing in the fall. My snake has been to church probably as many times in his 17 years as my almost-3 YO has been. Is my snake more godly than my child??

The Catholic Church does this as well. Our German Shepherd mix has been blessed. :)

ETA: Ironically, it tends to be on or around (sometimes the closest weekend) the feast of St. Francis.

A friend who is priest have pancreatic cancer. He just have adopted a little bunny and they are the best friend forever. He is always with his bunny (who's really smart !). He have already say that he wants to die with his bunny and his friends around. Today, I'm going with him to adopt an older dog or cat because they are not often adopted. Pope, adopt a cat or a dog, and you will understand.

I think the loneliness he's talking about it when you're old and don't have kids or grandkids around. There's no guarantee that kids and grandkids stick around, but I think there probably is more loneliness among childless/free old adults than among those with kids and grandkids. If you choose not to have kids, then this is a risk you know you take, and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for it. Having kids you do NOT want is what's wrong. So go forth and not multiply. :)

The Catholic Church does this as well. Our German Shepherd mix has been blessed. :)

ETA: Ironically, it tends to be on or around (sometimes the closest weekend) the feast of St. Francis.

That's the big market of Gallicane Church here (Gallicane Church reject Vatican... I ! ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallicanism . The catholic church here don't bless animals, so, the Gallicane Church does it (this and exorcism for mentally ill people).

Also, German Shepherd ! I dream to have one. I've a black labrador, a therapy dog very smart and understanding.

I think the loneliness he's talking about it when you're old and don't have kids or grandkids around. There's no guarantee that kids and grandkids stick around, but I think there probably is more loneliness among childless/free old adults than among those with kids and grandkids. If you choose not to have kids, then this is a risk you know you take, and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for it. Having kids you do NOT want is what's wrong. So go forth and not multiply. :)

Yes I kind of read it that way as well if you read the full text not the snipped bit. Bit archaic and religiousy but not a call to reproduce. He emphasised the choice part.

Pretty sure those that choose not to have kids probs don't really care and have given it thought and lots of folks prefer furries to humans :lol:

Have to say I've never heard of a priest blessing an animal...but whatever floats your boat I suppose. I can imagine the priests I know doing it to be nice, seems fairly harmless and pleasant.

That's the big market of Gallicane Church here (Gallicane Church reject Vatican... I ! ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallicanism . The catholic church here don't bless animals, so, the Gallicane Church does it (this and exorcism for mentally ill people).

Also, German Shepherd ! I dream to have one. I've a black labrador, a therapy dog very smart and understanding.

My pets get blessed at my childhood (Catholic) church! It's a big deal!

And Holy Father, you should thank God that I chose pets over having a baby, because there is no. way. I could have been a decent mother to a child with the terrible depression I suffered this past year. I'm doing much, MUCH better now, but I refuse to have a child until I feel that my mental health is under control. And yes, that will likely mean I take some time after a marriage to make sure myself and my relationship are in a good place before procreating.

It's not selfish, it's RESPONSIBLE.

No kids here. Not a deep desire and didn't work out to have them, so both childless and childfree is a weird sort of way. That said, I have heard that a lot of people with kids also die alone, so there is that.

Current strategy is 1) cultivate a large and active circle of friends of all ages. Currently our parties include people 20 years younger and 20 years older, and our dinner conversations are the better for it. Keeping a good circle of friends around and being willing to make new friends is key.

Secondly, as an aunt told us-- you don't have to be rich to get your younger relatives to come visit as you get older-- people just have to think you are.

Yes I kind of read it that way as well if you read the full text not the snipped bit. Bit archaic and religiousy but not a call to reproduce. He emphasised the choice part.

Pretty sure those that choose not to have kids probs don't really care and have given it thought and lots of folks prefer furries to humans :lol:

Have to say I've never heard of a priest blessing an animal...but whatever floats your boat I suppose. I can imagine the priests I know doing it to be nice, seems fairly harmless and pleasant.

We took my extremely energetic border collie to be blessed by our priest (I'm episcopal) and afterwards she promptly took a crap on the church lawn. Never, never again. I've seen horses be blessed, as well as a little girl's goldfish, which was very amusing to watch. I can tell you that the holy water they use gets quite hairy by the end of it all!

Interestingly, my old, retired priest used this as an example of why he should be able to officiate gay marriages: 'I've blessed a 16-year-olds car, a new house, and a boa constrictor--why on earth can't I bless the union of two people in love?'

But why doesn't he say you can have just as close relationships with friends and people from your church? I've been as close as a granddaughter to people that i've cleaned house for and helped with elder care. It's really silly for the QF and some religious people to say that folks will be lonely in old age without kids. With kids or without, you'll be lonely if you don't reach out to others. All it takes is some compassion for other people.

So selfish to think that you have to have children to keep from being lonely. The result could just be people who are obligated to send you flowers regardless of how you treat them. :lol:

No kids here. Not a deep desire and didn't work out to have them, so both childless and childfree is a weird sort of way. That said, I have heard that a lot of people with kids also die alone, so there is that.

Current strategy is 1) cultivate a large and active circle of friends of all ages. Currently our parties include people 20 years younger and 20 years older, and our dinner conversations are the better for it. Keeping a good circle of friends around and being willing to make new friends is key.

Secondly, as an aunt told us-- you don't have to be rich to get your younger relatives to come visit as you get older-- people just have to think you are.

Exactly!!

And Holy Father, you should thank God that I chose pets over having a baby, because there is no. way. I could have been a decent mother to a child with the terrible depression I suffered this past year. I'm doing much, MUCH better now, but I refuse to have a child until I feel that my mental health is under control. And yes, that will likely mean I take some time after a marriage to make sure myself and my relationship are in a good place before procreating.

It's not selfish, it's RESPONSIBLE.

Parenting with depression is really difficult. You rock for recognizing that and being responsible! 8-) :clap:

Here, not EVERY parish does it, but enough do that you can find one if you're willing to travel, say, 10 miles or so. I know some people who board their horses close enough to one of the parishes that does it that they can just ride on over each year. You can also simply ask a priest to bless an animal the same way they can bless a medal, bible, etc (though there is a special prayer for animals for good health, etc) -- the blessing doesn't HAVE to be on the feast of St. Francis. In fact, ours wasn't -- the priest who married us (a huge dog lover) offered to do it.

This is a total aside -- As far as German Shepherds go -- be careful and do research, because they can have severe back and hip issues. A mix will often be fine -- but look for a nice straight back without a weird roached shape to it. In Europe, they tend to breed their shepherds more for work and less for show -- so it's easier to find a good one than it would be in the States (there are major issues with the breed in the US -- some argue that it has departed from the original ideal German working dog to a point that it should be called the American Shepherd). My great-grandfather bred GSDs, but things have changed a lot since his time in the US. Most healthy GSDs in the US have recent European blood (parents and/or grandparents imported). I wouldn't buy a purebred without seeing at least a "very good" on his parents hip checks -- but that's the US measurement, I'm not sure what is done in Europe to check hips.

Archived