IGNORED

Wisconsin outlaws rehoming.

doggie

I can just see conservatives not voting for this. but lets hope it sweeps the nation.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04 ... d=sem_fkfn

WASHINGTON – Wisconsin has become the first state in the nation to pass legislation cracking down on parents who try to give away their adopted kids.

On Wednesday, Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill that would bar adoptive parents from finding a new home for their children without court permission. The legislation sought to protect adopted children from the unregulated practice of “re-homing,†where adoptive parents use underground networks to find a new family for children they don't want.

“With virtually no oversight, children could literally be traded from home to home. In Wisconsin, that is now against the law,†Republican Rep. Joel Kleefisch, who sponsored the legislation, said. “Hopefully citizens of the country will follow our lead.â€

The Wisconsin push comes after hundreds of parents were caught using social media sites to give away their adopted kids to strangers they met on the Internet. In some cases, that meant to predators and pedophiles.

Presently, there are no federal rules that prevent the practice of “re-homing†children -- a term typically used by pet owners looking for new homes for their unruly animals.

I hope all the other states follow suit soon. Are the majority of the kids who end up "rehomed" initially adopted by religious people?

Article on Rehoming: http://www.reuters.com/investigates/ado ... s/email/32

I think people who adopt are more often than not religious (Especially those who have bio children at home), however, of all adopting families, I don't think the religious ones are any more likely to rehome than the non-religious.

Top three reasons people rehome:

1. Severe RAD - Children who have an attachment disorder are heartbreaking. They will never love you the way you want, and are combative, cruel, and very hurtful. This can be extremely difficult to deal with, but is a fairly common risk in adoption.

2. Abuse of other children. (Usually because of RAD) But essentially adopted child is abusing (Sexual or physical) siblings (more often than not bio)

3. Disabilities too much for parents to deal with.

This is such a difficult topic. The way rehoming is done currently it essentially amounts to child trafficking. I hope that it does become illegal. I have a friend who adopted a child with RAD and his brother. The abuse was so bad that the child had to be institutionalized. She visits him everyday as his mother. I don't think adopting families realize that this could be their outcome.

I have a friend who adopted as well. Their transition went fairly smoothly, probably in part because she had spent a lot of time learning about adoption and issues that come up. However, my poor friend was very naive about rehoming, kid collecting and some of the stuff we talk about on here. Since her adoption went smoothly, she was approached by other adoptive moms on a board she frequented and asked whether she would be willing to take their children. She was pretty gobsmacked. After all, these were women who'd never met her in person and they were basically trying to pass along their kids like outgrown clothing.

I absolutely agree that many adoptive parents don't realize this could be an issue for them. I also think it's their fault if they don't know. Even the bare minimum classes we were required to take showed us that not all kids can be healed from their trauma enough to be a "normal" family member. All of these common scenarios were laid out for us. The ones that we didn't hear about in classes we read about in the dozens of books we read prior to adoption.

All of the information is out there. Sadly, too many prospective adoptive parents only see the perfect image of the child smiling with gratitude at their new family and ignore the very common issues that come from loss and trauma. This is willful ignorance.

Well, now no one can say Scott Walker never did anything good for Wisconsin. How hard do you think it would be to get this passed in other states? I vote everyone in FJ contacts their local representatives about getting this passed.

people that pass their children along like unwanted kittens really piss me off. don't care if they are fed to snakes or what just get rid of them.

Article on Rehoming: http://www.reuters.com/investigates/ado ... s/email/32

I think people who adopt are more often than not religious (Especially those who have bio children at home), however, of all adopting families, I don't think the religious ones are any more likely to rehome than the non-religious.

Top three reasons people rehome:

1. Severe RAD - Children who have an attachment disorder are heartbreaking. They will never love you the way you want, and are combative, cruel, and very hurtful. This can be extremely difficult to deal with, but is a fairly common risk in adoption.

2. Abuse of other children. (Usually because of RAD) But essentially adopted child is abusing (Sexual or physical) siblings (more often than not bio)

3. Disabilities too much for parents to deal with.

This is such a difficult topic. The way rehoming is done currently it essentially amounts to child trafficking. I hope that it does become illegal. I have a friend who adopted a child with RAD and his brother. The abuse was so bad that the child had to be institutionalized. She visits him everyday as his mother. I don't think adopting families realize that this could be their outcome.

You forgot reason four: scapegoating. The child is not the blank slate on which the adoptive parents have been projecting their fantasies, but a full human being, often with a complex history that includes trauma and neglect. The child may have more difficult behaviors than the parents expected, due to mental health issues or hidden disabilities like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, or the child may simply not be grateful enough or instantly adjusting to their new life. The adoptive parents then turn around and blame the child for failing to meet the parents' needs.

• 4 months later...

I wonder if there's much risk of adopting adults (I hesitate to call them parents if they are willing to shuffle disappointing children away) becoming abusive, or increasing abusive behaviors. I like the intent of the law, but worry a bit about what happens when these people feel trapped with unwanted children. Maybe there should be a provisions built in to "release" children at fire stations, police stations, hospitals like there is in some states with newborns. Horrible, but less awful than a life of abuse.

Archived