IGNORED

Fundie Men Calling Kids Hobbies

roddma

Does it bother anyone that Jim Bob Duggar and their ilk call their kids hobbies ? A hobby is an interest you pursue for pleasure. Kids do not fit this definition.

It's right up there with men saying they're "babysitting" when they're caring for their own children. Because the kids are MOM's job, not dad's.

I think what JB means is that making kids is his hobby. Once they're born, they go off to a sister-mom, leaving him free to make the next one. In all seriousness, I think JB is trying to convey that he is 100% into his role as a family man, not like those heathen fathers who have outside interests and outside friends. Of course, when JB claims to be "babysitting" his own children, it causes one to question how devoted a family man he really is. :music-tool:

Yeah, I take that comment to mean, "Look at me, I am 100% devoted to my family, unlike those other fathers who coach soccer or play softball or even do woodwork." :roll:

Does it bother anyone that Jim Bob Duggar and their ilk call their kids hobbies ? A hobby is an interest you pursue for pleasure. Kids do not fit this definition.

Hell yes!

I recall reading in the first boo JIB didn't go on weekend hunting trips or outings with guy friends. I guess men like him or Steve Maxwell never have real hobbies because someone may get out of line while they are gone. PS. The reason I asked this is because a fan on 19K FB thinks the world would be much better if men called their kids hobbies.

It's a Maxwellism. When Steve ruled out hobbies and fun for everyone it was partly cause he enjoyed hobbies like flying and sports too much, and The Lord wanted him to be home with his family and "make them his hobby".

It's a Maxwellism. When Steve ruled out hobbies and fun for everyone it was partly cause he enjoyed hobbies like flying and sports too much, and The Lord wanted him to be home with his family and "make them his hobby".

So I take it since he either can't afford those hobbies or have time for them,he blocks them for everyone else as well?

I recall reading in the first boo JIB didn't go on weekend hunting trips or outings with guy friends. I guess men like him or Steve Maxwell never have real hobbies because someone may get out of line while they are gone. PS. The reason I asked this is because a fan on 19K FB thinks the world would be much better if men called their kids hobbies.

that's a shame.anyone w that many kids needs a break now and then.mom could use a wiminfolk break,dad some time w the guys.but they don't like the wimin out of their site,much less time to talk alone,so..

So I take it since he either can't afford those hobbies or have time for them,he blocks them for everyone else as well?

Steve blocked fun for everyone in the family & thinks that if others want to have fun it's a bad thing.

I think steve has to be the most boring person on the planet!

I have to agree! I always thought that from the first time I read their blog. The worst part is that their kids think he is the greatest person on the planet.

I have to agree! I always thought that from the first time I read their blog. The worst part is that their kids think he is the greatest person on the planet.

a good reason he keeps them so isolated..they don't know the difference.

I hate it when ppl like that turn their kids into boring little miniature replicas of themselves.borrriiiiigggggg...those poor kids might as well all be 90 years old,the way they act and dress.Just put 'em in a rocking chair with a boring old fart book and a shawl around their neck beside a fireplace while wearing granny glasses,and whammo,instant boring replica of themselves.

I guess I don't mind men calling their kids (or, at least, kid-related things [which might be different]) hobbies. As long as they are being honest. If they don't actually do anything with or for their kids, they are just trying to make themselves look better for having no life. But I felt like my sisters and I were often one of my dad's "hobbies." When my sister showed promise in basketball, he built her a court to practice on and helped teach her post-up moves down low. When I started doing triple jump in track, he learned how to coach jumping and started volunteering as a high school track coach. Just recently, he's been making a valiant effort to get through my master's thesis, ha ha! In that way, he's made it a hobby to intentionally familiarize himself with the things his children are interested in which I think is admirable. He might have said that his kids were his hobby when we were at home. Of course, that also just sounds better than to say your hobby is tinkering with shit in the backyard (his other hobby!). :)

But yeah, fathers saying they are babysitting their kids is just the stupidest thing in the world.

Yeah, I take that comment to mean, "Look at me, I am 100% devoted to my family, unlike those other fathers who coach soccer or play softball or even do woodwork." :roll:

I would love to see Ron Swanson set him straight.

It irritates me when they use it as part of their delusion that they spend more quality time with their children than a "normal" family with 2.4 kids.

It's up there with Jill believing that in other families kids get kicked out when they turn 18 the way they imply that most fathers go out to work and then spend all their free time on a golf course and neglect theri kids :roll:

When the reality is most fathers of young families devote their time away from work to their families above anything else, and as a result do a far better job of it than Jim Bob. You only have to see Jim Bob's ineptness when he's left alone with the younger kids for any length of time to see how much time her really spends on his "hobby"

I love my family but if any one of them decided that "family was their hobby" I would take them aside and STRONGLY encourage them to get a real hobby. Not just because it is fun and expands your horizons but because it will get them out of the way so I can do my own hobbies.

Call me a cynic, I'm not surprised. Quiverful fundies are all about raising "arrows", not children. It is a rather selfish endeavour that worships biological sires, not even fathers. My apologies for shouting and swearing: Children are not a bloody hobby. They're PEOPLE, for - excuse me- fuck's sake!

I wish Steve would just sit at home doing nothing while is family enjoys life. If he wants to do nothing fine but don't bring your whole family into this.

How boring of lives these people must lead that they're only allowed to have one hobby forever. Their families aren't their hobbies. Ass-kissing a sky-ghost with or without their families is their hobby. Can you imagine picking one thing to do and consciously doing it at all times forever?

Archived