IGNORED

Hobby Lobby Oral Arguments Started Today!

slh12280

In general, none of those places will work out for me. My mother's side of the family should probably be the national poster family for eye disease. We have them all and a few that no one else has. It is complicated, but the short version is that it is hard to prescribe and fit for me. Messing around with not doing it in person is probably not the best idea. I don't wear regular glasses much, so we don't pay for new lenses often and my current frames are seven years old. And fortunately, with Kindle I can make things bigger and don't have to get new reading glasses as often either.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear it. :( Sounds like it can be complicated to manage. In that case, it probably is wiser to get the glasses done locally.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I think it is a good thing that they pay a living wage, from what I read it was $18/hour! So props to them for that. But it is the point of thing. With that wage the people may be able to pay for the contraception but I hate how the whole thing is a political ploy. They only found this new "conviction" when the ACA came around. It is like a little kid throwing their hands up and saying: "I don't want to do that now cause now you are telling me I have to!" So obviously they could afford it. What's the problem? They want the ACA repealed and plus it ups their Christian cred. At least the Catholic Church had opposed any form of contraception all along so it wasn't like a 180.

Hey, I'm a serial courter! Who have I been courting?

If they win this case, because their business is being forced to do something that is "against their religion" does that mean the next suit will be a large company refusing to promote women over men, or removing women managers if a man is hired below them, or just not hiring qualified women because women should be "keepers at home?"

If a corporation has religious freedom that trumps local, county and federal laws, then welcome to hell....

This is the example my friend used during a HL discussion we had on facebook. I thought it was quite good.

The analogy I used earlier was slavery, which is also addressed in the Bible. Seems like based on that I should be able to say that my religious beliefs include owning slaves, therefore my right to run my company with slave labor; I should be protected and I should be exempted from US labor laws. I think that's essentially the same thing Hobby Lobby is petitioning for - exemption from the law (Affordable Care Act/Obamacare) based on religious beliefs...right? So does providing a different example (slave labor) incite the same support for the concept?

oh, and on topic...Hobby Lobby can suck it. It's none of their damn business what medicines their employees are given or why.

I agree! I just went to Josh n Anna's instagram.I'm horrified! Hobby Lobby stuff is all over it! Is this what the D's are traveling around in their bus for at the moment? It's none of their damn business what America's women take,they can't even control their own uterus and body parts,or stop bragging about sex (damned sex and baby addicts!),so they should keep their nose out of other women's business! I mean this is contraception,not even close to the RU 486 pill.Get real! It doesn't cause abortion,it just prevents pregnancy!

What's next,are they going to try to shut down all the public schools? Force all women to be covered from neck to knee? Force everyone to attend mandatory church services of their denomination,and outlaw all others? Take away a woman's right to vote? Outlaw divorce? Really,nothing would surprise me anymore.

you're right I prolly shouldn't give them any ideas;just more time they can spend traveling on the Anti-Women's Rights Travelin' Tour Bus...I mean,Duggar family bus.All the kids look so tired and their parents don't think a thing of taking them endlessly around the US.

I think what JB n M are doing now is something they could wait and do when the kids are grown.Right now they should be at home doing their schoolwork,having playtime and naptime,etc. for the younger ones.It's no life for them on the bus.

What's next,are they going to try to shut down all the public schools? Force all women to be covered from neck to knee? Force everyone to attend mandatory church services of their denomination,and outlaw all others? Take away a woman's right to vote? Outlaw divorce? Really,nothing would surprise me anymore.

Yes, that is exactly what a sizable number of Dominionists and Theonomists want. No Public schools... homeschooling or specific Christian schools only ( cause apostate christians and other religions have no place in their world.)

theonomyresources.blogspot.com/2014/03/covenanter-theonomy.html

The newest Appeals Court Judge in Kansas is a Covenanter, though his has not, that I've found, declared himself a Theonomist by that term. He is pretty bright, a declared anti-modernist and a "Crunchy Conservative" and he scares the bejesus out of me.

Rushdoony, who we've often discussed here, was divorced..... however, one of his sons later wrote about how under theonomy, divorce would be less of a problem.

Around the same time, Reverend Rushdoony transferred his membership (from PC-USA ) to the Orthodox Presbyterian denomination. The OPC has a comparatively narrow interpretation of the Biblical texts dealing with divorce, remarriage, and post-divorce ministry. Supposedly, the presbytery investigated the circumstances of R.J.'s divorce and pronounced him the blameless party (and thus still qualified for the ministry).

In May of 1962, The Presbyterian Guardian reported: "Rev. R. J. Rushdoony has resigned as pastor of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, reportedly to devote his time to writing and lecturing." He also remarried--to Dorothy Barbara Ross Kirkwood**.

That year, the court granted Arda custody of the three older children, while R.J. kept the younger three. Both parents were forbidden to discuss, or even mention, each other in front of their offspring. Perhaps this is part of the reason Mark was silent about his mother at his father's birthday celebration.

The divorce, and its terms, certainly scarred the children deeply.

In a 1986 Chalcedon publication, Mark wrote about divorce: "The divorce problem will be solved in a society under God's law because any spouse guilty of capital crimes (adultery, homosexuality, Sabbath desecration, etc.) would be swiftly executed, thus freeing the other part to remarry..." This statement echoes his father's own advocacy for Old Testament-style capital punishment in Institutes of Biblical Law: "Divorce by death made remarriage possible, and freed the innocent partner from bondage to a guilty and unclean person."

theonomyresources.blogspot.com/p/about.html

The link takes you to a page that includes or links to a lot of the people we disucss in here.

Did anyone see this today?

motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/hobby-lobby-retirement-plan-invested-emergency-contraception-and-abortion-drug-makers

But while it was suing the government, Hobby Lobby spent millions of dollars on an employee retirement plan that invested in the manufacturers of the same contraceptive products the firm's owners cite in their lawsuit.

Documents filed with the Department of Labor and dated December 2012—three months after the company's owners filed their lawsuit—show that the Hobby Lobby 401(k) employee retirement plan held more than $73 million in mutual funds with investments in companies that produce emergency contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices, and drugs commonly used in abortions. Hobby Lobby makes large matching contributions to this company-sponsored 401(k).

Several of the mutual funds in Hobby Lobby's retirement plan have holdings in companies that manufacture the specific drugs and devices that the Green family, which owns Hobby Lobby, is fighting to keep out of Hobby Lobby's health care policies: the emergency contraceptive pills Plan B and Ella, and copper and hormonal intrauterine devices.

Archived