IGNORED

Is The Next Right Wing Meme About The Civil War?

debrand

And, lest we forget, Southerners did debate the morality of slavery. They looked to the Bible for their answers. They heard sermon after sermon quoting the Bible and affirming the moral rightness of slavery. They truly believed God was on their side and their Bible and religious leaders confirmed this.

Totally agree that they used the Bible for justification. However, every verse they used was taken completely out of context. The Bible does not justify or condone slavery when read in context. :angry-banghead:

But KS was a free state. In Lawrence, there is quite a "free state" history. :pull-hair:-your

I don't remember Jon Stewart being *quite* so in-your-face to his guest before. He has "gently" gone back and forth with them, but to bring professors from (I think) NYU, UMASS and Columbia on to correct him? And to nail him on knowing how many soldiers died in the Civil War, but not having a clue about how many SLAVES died in the slave trade? (Napolitano said, "You didn't ask me that question beforehand!" DUDE...YOU WROTE A BOOK!)

But KS was a free state. In Lawrence, there is quite a "free state" history. :pull-hair:-your

I don't remember Jon Stewart being *quite* so in-your-face to his guest before. He has "gently" gone back and forth with them, but to bring professors from (I think) NYU, UMASS and Columbia on to correct him? And to nail him on knowing how many soldiers died in the Civil War, but not having a clue about how many SLAVES died in the slave trade? (Napolitano said, "You didn't ask me that question beforehand!" DUDE...YOU WROTE A BOOK!)

Stewart was friendly but he didn't let the Judge get by with twisting historical facts. What surprised me was how easily he dismantled the Napolitano's argument. Except for the question about the number of slaves' deaths, everyone knew beforehand the questions that they would be asked. That just shows the weakness of the arguments defending the Confederates when countered with historical facts.

I don't understand the displaying of the Confederate flag in northern states.

It's a way to shout, "Howdy! I'm a white supremacist!" without having to use words.

That "my heritage" shit over the confederate flag makes me want barf. That excuse would be like the Germans saying the Nazi flag was part of their "heritage".

I couldn't agree more. It disgusts me when I still to this day hear people glorify the "Southern Cause". How can anyone find glory in a bloody war that pitted brother against brother in order to keep fellow human beings in bondage?

Archived