IGNORED

What bugs you more?

Odd1Out

What bugs you more-

Extreme fundies like the Maxwells who don't do anything secular like watch tv, go to sporting events, listen to popular music etc. -or- fundie lites who you know go to movies, play sports, talk like normal people, but stick their noses in the air because their women wear only skirts and they attend church 3 times a week?

Depends if they have kids or not.

If it was just an adult deciding to be fundie, I don't care what they do. If there are children involved, I prefer the ones who have access to pop culture, able to play sports and have fun and don't wear ugly handmade frumpers, as the kids have more of a chance of seeing that there is a world out there that is not evil, and aren't missing out all the important bits of childhood.

c) the ones who vote

d) The ones who decide you are a "worthy person of God" and decide to be your friend, then after you've built a relationship with them, they drop you in a completely unexpected way because you don't think exactly like them or don't want to attend their church.

My favorites are the super isolated ones who never leave their mountain fortresses. That way they can't affect anybody who chooses to live their life differently. I don't like the secret ones who pretend to be tolerant but actually believe everyone would be better off believing in Jesus and wearing skirts and participating in heterosexual unions.

Anybody who thinks religion should be the be all and all end all of everyone else's life is an ignorant person, in my opinion.

The ones that are against their daughters getting a decent education.

Agree! I hate the ones like the Maxwell's who think their way of life is the only right way to live.

--Marrying too young.

--Marrying someone you met last month.

--Not getting a proper education.

--Getting sex education...a few weeks before marriage.

--Strict courtships (no kissing, hugging, talking privately...even when you're an adult)

--Deciding what's best for others and not recognizing your own life is pretty crappy.

--Having tons of kids you CAN'T afford.

--Thinking home schooling is the BEST decision any "unselfish" parent can make.

--Children purposely cut of from social media.

The second kind generally annoy me more.

Agreed. I feel like they want to have their cake and to eat it too. Plus I feel they are more likely to pull people into their beliefs and normalize what are some very hateful and dangerous ways of thinking.

I will never forget the cold feeling that went through me when my pop culture loving, tattooed, alcohol drinking former boss looked at me with a nonchalant smile on his face and said "Of course the Holocaust needed to happen, the son is responsible for the sins of the father and the Jews killed Jesus."

It was a great reminder that evil beliefs don't always have a menacing approach, they smile and try to be appealing.

The ones that are against their daughters getting a decent education.

Like the Beasley family. All four of their adult sons are college educated, but the girls are not allowed to attend college. Their daughter Anna blogs about being single, lonely and not knowing what to do with her (single)life.

Like the Beasley family. All four of their adult sons are college educated, but the girls are not allowed to attend college. Their daughter Anna blogs about being single, lonely and not knowing what to do with her (single)life.

Never heard of that family. But that is horrible. Why can't their daughters get an education.

The ones who don't let their kids have friends, try to help them find a spouse and think Pepsi is a drug. Hi Steve!

What bugs you more-

Extreme fundies like the Maxwells who don't do anything secular like watch tv, go to sporting events, listen to popular music etc. -or- fundie lites who you know go to movies, play sports, talk like normal people, but stick their noses in the air because their women wear only skirts and they attend church 3 times a week?

Option B! But I don't actually know any fundie lites, thank god :D

d) The ones who decide you are a "worthy person of God" and decide to be your friend, then after you've built a relationship with them, they drop you in a completely unexpected way because you don't think exactly like them or don't want to attend their church.

I agree, and it isn't just fundies and fundie-lites that do this. Often, the shunning impacts the entire family, since if you have children, those people won't let their children even talk to yours because your family is seen as influenced by Satan because you won't go to their church.

Never heard of that family. But that is horrible. Why can't their daughters get an education.

Dan Beasley married Bethanny Wissiam. Don't know if I spelled that right. Dan somehow managed to get a law education online & passed the bar. He has a brother who "might" have murdered his 1st wife. The Beasley women "claim" it is their choice not to go to college :roll:

Or, in some cases, a few days before marriage... Papa Morton said he wants to keep his kids unaware as long as possible and only gives them info of "the way of the man with his bride" (pretty much his exact wording if my memory serves right) just before the wedding because they don't need that info earlier.

He also educated one of his sons about the mechanics of childbirth while the son's wife was in labour with their first child.

Bear in mind that this was a homebirth in a family where the wife submits authority of her body to her husband. If this woman had needed a transfer, he would have to give his permission.

He also educated one of his sons about the mechanics of childbirth while the son's wife was in labour with their first child.

Bear in mind that this was a homebirth in a family where the wife submits authority of her body to her husband. If this woman had needed a transfer, he would have to give his permission.

How insane!! How many kids r in this family.

What a perfect way to make sure that your son is the kind of father who faints from shock at the sight of it, and doesn't have a second kid because he is too scared of his wife's vagina.

I think ppl like the Maxwells bug me more.At least the ones who get out and do things around normal ppl, stand more of a chance at living a normal life in the future.

--Marrying too young.

--Marrying someone you met last month.

--Not getting a proper education.

--Strict courtships (no kissing, hugging, talking privately...even when you're an adult)

--Deciding what's best for others and not recognizing your own life is pretty crappy.

--Having tons of kids you CAN'T afford.

--Thinking home schooling is the BEST decision any "unselfish" parent can make.

--Children purposely cut of from social media.

Why is it bad to cut kids off from social media? I think kids should access social media because I don't like the inherent hubris that social media teaches. Cultural indulgence on social media is not a good thing and is shaping our society in very negative ways. I don't get how you can possibly lump that with the other things on that list.

e) The ones who try and pass laws to force you into their beliefs when you've refused to go willingly.

A-----isolation, no privacy, and no freedom. I've learned to deal with type B's because I have some in my family and have learned to tolerate them.

Archived