IGNORED

Christian Mommy of Three Plays With Dolls

Buzzard

I kind-of see it as similar to people who make stop-motion animated movies... a creative hobby on top of the collecting one and the dolls just happen to be their "medium"?

Okay, that makes it alittle less weird.

OK I just have to add, the American Girl people were the ones who introduced me to fundies. There are a LOT of them in that community. Part of me would love to start a Gossip Girl-style (no names) snark blog just for the AG community but the message boards are locked so copying posts would violate some of their rules. Anyway, here's some fandom wank about the drama that kind-of started it all - the very Mormon board owner was trying to get everyone to keep sweet and follow Jesus. http://www.journalfen.net/tools/memorie ... filter=all

OK I just have to add, the American Girl people were the ones who introduced me to fundies. There are a LOT of them in that community. Part of me would love to start a Gossip Girl-style (no names) snark blog just for the AG community but the message boards are locked so copying posts would violate some of their rules. Anyway, here's some fandom wank about the drama that kind-of started it all - the very Mormon board owner was trying to get everyone to keep sweet and follow Jesus. http://www.journalfen.net/tools/memorie ... filter=all

It's not just the AG doll collectors. ALL doll collectors are at least a little bit wacko- and I'ms aying that as someone who IS one :P (But frankly, it's a cheaper way to indulge my costuming hobby now that I'm old and fat :))

I can't snark too hard on her myself. As an American Girl/dolls&toys in general collector who also happens to be a grown-up, I've commented on her blog a few times and when she's answered back she's been a very nice person, and I'm quite envious of her ability to walk into Goodwills and Salvation Armies and come out with really incredible dolls. She's found AG, Bitty Babies, Madame Alexanders and all sorts of others. She's pretty good at restoring them too. Hell, she walked into one once and found a goddamn TONNER. :shock: My Goodwills don't have jack.

I can snark on things though. The whole "Favorite Bible Verse" schtick she has going for her doll gang there. And the fact that one of them has listed, in her dislikes "Evolution" and a desire to go to the Creation Museum. I really wanted to link her to John Scalzi's blog post and photoset about his own visit there, and go "Here you go kid!" but I figured that'd get me banned.

EDIT: Dear god, someone linked to the old fandom_wank posts about the AG community. One of my best friends - who actually got me my very first ever AG doll this year - is the one who got banned from a message board for being Pagan in one of those wank posts. The streams are crossing!

I have to say, I have no fucking idea whats going on here in there blogs. I began with this site, which appears to be a pseudo review of random dolls coupled with... photoshoots??? She poses them, dresses them, and posts shit online. Hell, the blog is named "never grow up!" Stay at home mom of three...

nevergrowupdollguide.blogspot.com

Now, I have one American Girl doll, Molly from the 1940's. I'd like to get her British contemporary, I think her name is Elizabeth, but I can't justify spending that kind of money. I read a lot of books, both fiction and non-fiction on WWII, it's the time I was born but don't remember because I was just a baby and a toddler. I don't play with her, talk to her, or anything. She's just on display.

I have a Renwal plastic hospital nursery set that consists of a nurse, bassinets, babies, a scale, table, etc. which my Dad got me when I was about 9. It's set up on a shelf, protected from my cats by a glass door. The set below is like what I have, it's set up as a hospital nursery.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RENWAL-NURSERY- ... 3f288ce9e2

I would like to build a miniature dollhouse this winter, again with a WWII theme.

So, given my own little hobby, that takes up almost no time now until I start the miniature house, I find this very weird. I mean, all those details about each doll, birthdays, likes, favorite books. There are some issues there. I'm retired and am just now getting back to this very part time hobby, I've done nothing with it during the years I was working and raising my kids.

:D I think I'm going to kill time by going back and forth between the doll lady blog and the graveyard dirt blog. That should be quite mind blowing :pink-shock:

:D I think I'm going to kill time by going back and forth between the doll lady blog and the graveyard dirt blog. That should be quite mind blowing :pink-shock:

During my scifi fan days I followed a user on LJ who knitted her own Star Trek characters and made photo stories of them. I stopped following when knitted naked Spock (with may I add a green penis) got it on with knitted naked Kirk. Ah .......memories.

Anyway I digress, this lady seems pretty normal to me :lol:

Those women obviously never researched the American Girl Doll Co. or they would have been appalled. Every doll they bought supported a college educated woman who in turn poured millions of those dollars into her alma mater, an all women's college (also my alma mater and sadly no longer a woman only college).

Those fundy collectors inadvertantly supported higher education for women!!!!!!!! Eleventy!!!!!!!!!!!

During my scifi fan days I followed a user on LJ who knitted her own Star Trek characters and made photo stories of them. I stopped following when knitted naked Spock (with may I add a green penis) got it on with knitted naked Kirk. Ah .......memories.

Okay, now I really want to see this. I mean, the attention to detail! The effort of knitting! I'm hooked, give me a link, please.

I really can't snark on this. To me it's no different than anyone immersing themselves in anything else, like comics or film characters or whatever. God knows there are a lot more harmful things in the world to be immersed in.

I had my innocence taken away from me at far too young an age and I unabashedly enjoy my stuffed animals and dolls now, and try to recapture that feeling of being a carefree kid with nothing more important to do than immerse myself in a fantasy world or make up stories. My daughters are 15 and 13, and we still enjoy getting out their American Girl dolls for a day of hair-styling, trying on all their clothes and maybe a tea party.

One of my heroines, Tasha Tudor, played with her doll family until the day she died, as far as I know. She made them herself, created their incredibly detailed house and clothing, and would do things like write tiny correspondence between them and make them all little Christmas gifts to be opened on Christmas morning. I think having that kind of imagination and childlike wonder throughout life is a gift.

I won't snark on the hobby itself. But, with the blogs, youtube, ebay, pinterest, facebook, flickr and twitter, not to mention dusting, arranging, dressing (insert lots more verbs here) the dolls, it's a bit hard to imagine how she finds the time for reality, including her kids, who are 9 and under, and her husband.

Maybe she's a great Mom, fitting in the doll stuff when the girls are elsewhere, or including them in it, if they want to be involved. I really do hope so!

And:

I really appreciate that my husband is willing to work 11-15 hours a day during the busy season so that I'm free to raise the girls.

I hope she's also grateful that he supplies the money for a huge hobby. Thrift store finds or not, it has to add up.

She does seem to have some self-awareness about her flaws, which is good. Maybe the always-perfect dolls are an outlet that keeps her anger at real children from building up.

:lol: Does LJ even still exist?

Seriously was years ago. Try googling I dunno knitted Star Trek sex :lol:

:lol: Does LJ even still exist?

Seriously was years ago. Try googling I dunno knitted Star Trek sex :lol:

A friend of mine posted on Facebook awhile back that the notorious Star Trek 'red shirt' factored into some of the kinky fantasies she and her husband shared. All I could think was, yeah, I could have quite happily gone the rest of my life without knowing that about the two of you. :lol:

I dunno, the doll thing doesn't really strike me as too abnormal, but I might think twice before posting any thoughts/pictures online that describe the kinkier aspects of the hobby.

Some people take issue with the fact that there are those who choose to make a hobby of toys that are usually considered the domain of children. I've had one or two remarks directed at me where people have found it odd that I, a grown woman, enjoy collecting and playing older video games. To each his own. If it's a hobby you find enjoyable and doesn't interfere with the normal functioning of your day-to-day life, I say why not? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... DOLLS.html

Just saw the above, interesting article about another avid doll collector. I've never had the dedication to follow anything through to this extent (my "collection" of teacups numbers 3), but it seems like her collections were a big part of her life. She also designed clothes and houses for her dolls as well.

My nan collects dolls. Her entire house has slowly got taken over by them-there must be thousands of them, two out of three bedrooms are inaccessible through so many dolls, and the living room is entirely dolls, just with a path between the sofa, door and kitchen door. Its kinda creepy with them all staring at you.

When you can't get into rooms in your own house because of your collection, that's not a collection anymore; it's a hoard. It's what some people call a "clean hoard" in that there aren't animal corpses or stacks of garbage in there, but it's a hoard nonetheless. I'm sorry.

Your parent or you might find something of interest here: http://childrenofhoarders.com/wordpress/

I won't snark on the hobby itself. But, with the blogs, youtube, ebay, pinterest, facebook, flickr and twitter, not to mention dusting, arranging, dressing (insert lots more verbs here) the dolls, it's a bit hard to imagine how she finds the time for reality, including her kids, who are 9 and under, and her husband.

Maybe she's a great Mom, fitting in the doll stuff when the girls are elsewhere, or including them in it, if they want to be involved. I really do hope so!

And:

I hope she's also grateful that he supplies the money for a huge hobby. Thrift store finds or not, it has to add up.

She does seem to have some self-awareness about her flaws, which is good. Maybe the always-perfect dolls are an outlet that keeps her anger at real children from building up.

This.

How does she homeschool her kids, take care of them/interact with them AND have all this time? And if she does, shouldnt she take some of the burden from hubby and stop playing?

She doesn't homeschool. There are pics of her children on their first day of school on her blog and I don't remember if they were in front of a school bus or elementary school, but either way. I believe she mentioned something about it being public school, too, but I could be wrong about that.

Archived