IGNORED

Christian Mommy of Three Plays With Dolls

Buzzard

I have to say, I have no fucking idea whats going on here in there blogs. I began with this site, which appears to be a pseudo review of random dolls coupled with... photoshoots??? She poses them, dresses them, and posts shit online. Hell, the blog is named "never grow up!" Stay at home mom of three...

nevergrowupdollguide.blogspot.com

So, why am I a Stay-at-Home mom, especially if it's not easy? Because I believe that it's the right thing to do, and that my children will benefit from the constant parental involvement in their lives (unless I'm being super crabby...they might not exactly benefit from that!). :} I also desire nothing more than knowing that my children love the Lord and want to serve Him. The very best way to gauge where they're at spiritually and to be a godly influence in their lives is to be there with them. I want to be there to answer their questions, to show them from the Bible why we believe what we believe, and to encourage their excitement about God and what He has done.

There's another important reason I'm a Stay-at-Home Mom, although it's not a reason I knew about until I already was one. ;) Staying home with 3 kiddos for hours upon hours constantly brings to my attention the areas of my life that need some work. I always thought I was a naturally kind, patient person. That theory is not one I have anymore. I've discovered that I'm naturally a selfish, petty, spoiled girl with anger management issues.

nevergrowupdollguide.blogspot.com/2012/05/why-im-stay-at-home-moma-post-dedicated.html

Then we have what appears to be two fan fiction (of dolls) blogs. This shit is detailed... and also includes photoshoots. I'd say cool if this was done by a teenager, but I have no idea whats going on here otherwise.

belles-bulletins.blogspot.com

tessandmaggiesblog.blogspot.com

The oldest is 9 or 10. I guess she watches the littles while mommy dresses up her toys?

Oh wow! She has pics of her dolls and long lists of their "personalities", likes and dislikes. She's even edited stuff about them as she's gotten to "know" them.

I read her review of the "Avengers" movie. After I think 6 paragraphs about herself she finally got to the review which I didn't even read at that point. This lady has some issues.

My professional response to this is Holy. Shit.

Erm ....

I like how her children merit a single sentence in her bio, whilst her "princess party" in college is a whole paragraph. Way to witness on family values! Not that I can blame her, she's clearly Batshit Crazy.

OH, and there is a huge gap between blossoming in college and learning to be yourself, and re-naming yourself after a cartoon character. Jeebus.

When I clicked on the site my eyes immediatley rested on a doll that looked waaaay too much like the horrible doll from the movie "May". I immediately closed the window and played Fruit Ninja compulsively to drive the image out.

Had a suspicion of who this was (didn't remember her blog name) and I was right - I belong to a doll collector community. I don't feel like I can snark because I kind-of "know" her through there, though not well. I will say making personalities/stories/photoshoots of your dolls is pretty common in that community (and I think in many doll "fandoms" in general?).

This actually reminds me of this woman who lived near where I grew up. She collected dolls. A lot of dolls. There was everything from Baby Alive to Madame Alexanders. Her whole house (every possible corner) was filled with them in varying positions and tableaus. She would give tours for a fee. One year my mom brought me there for my birthday, and I swear I had nightmares for weeks!

At first glance, it almost seems like she's running a business selling these things, what with the detailed descriptions and all. So, she's not, and she is just really, um, dedicated to her dolls? Can't say I get it, dolls are so not my thing, they kind of freak me out after a while, but hey, whatever works for her...

Aside from the weird dolly shit, I just have to point out that no, constant parental involvement in your children's lives is NOT healthy. In fact, it's a good way to earn those kiddos a one-way ticket to Crazyland.

Well, now I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I'm not a doll collector, but I've always liked American Girls and Barbies... and, well, she has a ton of pics and info on American Girls, and on washing and styling Barbies' hair, which was one of my favorite hobbies as a kid... :embarrassed:

Doll collectors freak me out. My grandmother used to collect dolls and she kept them in the spare bedroom which is where I would sleep when I spent the night there. I used to have nightmares about all of those dolls staring at me while I slept.

My nan collects dolls. Her entire house has slowly got taken over by them-there must be thousands of them, two out of three bedrooms are inaccessible through so many dolls, and the living room is entirely dolls, just with a path between the sofa, door and kitchen door. Its kinda creepy with them all staring at you.

The coolest part of the Internet is seeing what a wide variety of people there are.

Since my life is currently completely empty I spend all my time on the sims, but I don't know if I'd have time for a time suck hobby if I had 3 kids to take care of.

I have some younger sisters who are really into American Girl dolls (I think they have 11 or 12 all together, while I spent years wanting Felicity and never getting her... no I'm not bitter :D) and they visit various doll blogs and watch all kinds of American Girl youtube videos. It's amazing how many adult women there are posing their dolls and creating stories. It's a bit odd to me admittedly, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with it.

I really just can't snark on this. At first, I thought I was going to get eye-rolly because, well, I have my CPKs from when I was little -- and there's a reason: My mom made all these intricate little outfits for them, complete with details like rickrack, tiny buttons, embroidery, the whole nine yards. I can't even imagine how many hours she spent on them, and that was the BEST Christmas present ever. That's a sentimental thing, though, and this woman seems like she's a little more ... well, dedicated.

But I mostly can't snark because it looks to me like this woman is a really, really avid collector who is blogging to show her treasures. A little oot, yeah, but not all THAT far out there.

Also, she has a Tardis set complete with a River and Amy. What's not to love?

She is just a doll collector, its not that weird(just as weird as the normal doll collector).. i mean its just a hobby, and for what i see on flickr most of them are not teenagers precisely.. i kind of like to see the dedication this people put in their collections

This actually reminds me of this woman who lived near where I grew up. She collected dolls. A lot of dolls. There was everything from Baby Alive to Madame Alexanders. Her whole house (every possible corner) was filled with them in varying positions and tableaus. She would give tours for a fee. One year my mom brought me there for my birthday, and I swear I had nightmares for weeks!

I went to a sale at the house of a woman who was being moved into assisted living/nursing home. She had two floor-ceiling bookcases with barbies and accessories crammed on every shelf. Some of these things were older than me and still in original packaging! (Many were out of the box and meticulously dressed.) Upstairs she had at least 10 American Girl Dolls. I would have gotten Kirsten because she was always my favorite and is now retired but her hair showed lots of age. So instead I got Kit for my niece when she starts school because Kit's desk is exactly like the child's desk we inherited from my grandma.

Kit in her original outfit with accessories, an extra outfit, a doll stand, a non-AG rocking chair that fits her perfectly and a HUGE amount of yarn (why I went), including an angora/silk blend for $60. I was there towards the end of the third day and the amount of stuff that was still there was mind-boggling. But it gave her pleasure for many years and now many little girls will love their new dolls. I can't imagine what a dedicated collector would have thought of this place. :o

I went to a sale at the house of a woman who was being moved into assisted living/nursing home. She had two floor-ceiling bookcases with barbies and accessories crammed on every shelf. Some of these things were older than me and still in original packaging! (Many were out of the box and meticulously dressed.) Upstairs she had at least 10 American Girl Dolls. I would have gotten Kirsten because she was always my favorite and is now retired but her hair showed lots of age. So instead I got Kit for my niece when she starts school because Kit's desk is exactly like the child's desk we inherited from my grandma.

Kit in her original outfit with accessories, an extra outfit, a doll stand, a non-AG rocking chair that fits her perfectly and a HUGE amount of yarn (why I went), including an angora/silk blend for $60. I was there towards the end of the third day and the amount of stuff that was still there was mind-boggling. But it gave her pleasure for many years and now many little girls will love their new dolls. I can't imagine what a dedicated collector would have thought of this place. :o

I had a neighbor who was a doll collector. Her things were spread out to different rooms in the house though, so it wasn't super overwhelming or creepy, lol! (Even though I collect American Girl, I think some antique dolls and even other brands of modern dolls can be creepy.) When she and her husband moved to assisted living I bought her Samantha collection. I think it was supposed to be for her granddaughter, but she was never as interested in dolls as her grandmother so she adopted it back. She came over to see how I had set up the new dolls/things before they moved and was excited to see they were still "loved" haha. I'm not sure why but I was a little afraid of her when I was little, I think because her house always looked *perfect* and (I was friends with her granddaughter) we weren't allowed in certain rooms as kids. She was really nice though when I bought the stuff from her and I wished I'd had more time to get to know her as an adult.

I can't snark on doll collectors because I collect dolls too, and do similar things (although I don't have time to have a blog!) so I can't talk. LOL I mean some people have weird hobbies, I don't see this as any different from people who go to comic-cons and get really into their cosplay outfits, or something like that. (I don't think we can tell from a blog that has few personal posts, whether she's gone "overboard" or is just really into a different hobby, you know? It's not hurting anyone. Although there are some people in the AG doll community who do seem to have issues with growing up and dealing with real life, but not most of them.)

Y'all should see some of the BJD photostories. They get more adult. Some are very interesting lol. If I can think of a good one I'll post it. I don't collect them (am trying to stay away) but a lot of my doll friends do so that's how I've come across those.

I know her a little and I will say that I don't see her post on any of the message boards very often so I don't think she's neglecting her kids for her dolls or anything like that. She seems busy and like this is her main outlet?

At first I was really confused as I read some of her entries, but now I get it. It strikes me as a creative outlet for her, something that she really enjoys. I have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of weirdness. My childless great aunt had a room full of antique dolls and in her case it definitely seemed like some kind of emotional compensation. That doesn't seem to necessarily be the case with this woman, but who knows?

But, I can certainly understand why it freaks many people out.

By the way, I inherited a couple of my great aunt's dolls. I adore them, but they definitely make some people uneasy. It's a matter of taste and who knows what, I guess. Doll-related horror movies seem to put a lot of people off of them!

My great aunt had a huge doll collection and she ran a doll hospital. But she never wrote stories about her dolls, named them or posed them. Sorry, but this is weird.

My great aunt had a huge doll collection and she ran a doll hospital. But she never wrote stories about her dolls, named them or posed them. Sorry, but this is weird.

I kind-of see it as similar to people who make stop-motion animated movies... a creative hobby on top of the collecting one and the dolls just happen to be their "medium"?

Archived