IGNORED

Not Even Once Club

ADoyle90815

I don't know if anyone has heard of this book, but it was written by the wife of a LDS leader, and to me, it goes beyond slut shaming by saying to children that if they screw up even once, they're worthless. Fortunately, the reviews on Amazon are mostly negative, except for some extremist Mormons who probably shared that slut shaming blog post. One of the negative reviews was from a LDS therapist who said that people shouldn't get this for their children. One other negative reviewer even said that teachings similar to this book is why Elizabeth Smart felt like a piece of chewed gum and unworthy of being rescued sooner than she was.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Not-Even-Once ... _p_imgnr_1

I have a friend who went to confession right after she lost her virginity at age 15. The priest told her she was a worthless whore and left her in tears. After that she gave up on religion because as she once told me if she was already going to hell she might as well enjoy herself while she can.

Hmmm a children's book that sets kids up with unattainably high moral standards so they are guaranteed to fail? That should progress the cause LDS writer :doh:

Hmmm a children's book that sets kids up with unattainably high moral standards so they are guaranteed to fail? That should progress the cause LDS writer :doh:

I think the bible did that long ago.

I have a friend who went to confession right after she lost her virginity at age 15. The priest told her she was a worthless whore and left her in tears. After that she gave up on religion because as she once told me if she was already going to hell she might as well enjoy herself while she can.

I had a roommate in college that felt this way. She'd been brought up Nazarene and felt like she was damned because she lost her virginity. She figured if she was going to hell anyway then she might as well sleep around and do other stuff that wasn't acceptable to her religion. It's such a shame that she felt that way and I do hope that she finally realized that sleeping around doesn't make you worthless. She was kind and smart and she deserves better.

Archived