IGNORED

Lori Alexander on the risks of public education

lorialexander.blogspot.com/2013/09/risks-of-public-school-education.html

I seem to recall Lori pretty much encouraging people to homeschool in several posts. I think we can all agree that public education isn't perfect and some public schools are awful. Lori's post annoyed me because she seems to demonize public education too much. I'm surprised that she acknowledges that some people don't have a choice regarding schools. But she doesn't realize that many people may not feel comfortable homeschooling their children. Of course, she fangirls over the Duggars and Pearls.

I completely disagree with her belief that the Duggars and the Pearls do anything for their communities (or anyone else's community for that matter) or are, in any way, a shining light (unless you think beating babies is an admirable parenting technique). However, if she truly believes this about the Duggars and the Pearls, then how exactly are they doing that without "intermingling with godless neighbors"? Being a light while being involved in their communities or going on mission trips is no different than being a light while going to a public school. If Lori wants to make an argument for home schooling by using the Duggars, she's doing an exceptionally bad job at it.

I agree Childless, her use of the Duggars as a homeschooling example is bad. I think years ago when Michelle only had 5 to 7 kids, she might been ok at homeschooling. But as the years went and more kids, it ended up being the JSlaves doing the homeschooling.

Jesus went to school right?

Lori is probs right, looked what happened to him. He came to a bad end, must have been public school 8-)

Actually in the fundie environment I come from (super conservative SDA) you're likely to be discouraged from going to an accredited college because "Jesus did not attend the (religious) schools of his day". ("How knoweth this man letters having never learned?" John 7:15)

Excuse me? The Duggars and the Pearls (the PEARLS?) are a light? :cray-cray:

When people of that ilk start donating and volunteering at homeless shelters, battered women's shelters, feeding people on the street who are hungry - you know, ACTUALLY FOLLOWING THE WORDS OF JESUS whom they claim to follow, I'll be happy to call them a "light in their community". Until then, no fucking way. You're not a light if you're locked up in your house never interacting with anyone who doesn't live exactly as you do.

If they stay at home or in their tight little circle of like-minded fundies, they'll always feel superior. I guarantee if her kids spent a week at the local public HS (one of the top 25 in the state) they would be very sad, confused muffins. Also, Lori wouldn't exactly knock anyone's socks off.

I'm a big believer in public schools. Ours aren't exactly the best in the nation (last I checked our GreatSchools rating was a two or something) but all of our kids have done exceptionally well at them, and I'm a product of Chicago Public Schools. They are what you are, you know? That said, we kind of believe that learning doesn't stop the minute you leave the classroom. I have never understood these fundies going on and on about their superior teaching skills but it doesn't occur to them that it's okay to teach your kids things when they get home, too. My kids have built some wonderful friendships with the kids at our local schools, and have also had some damn good teachers. I did, too. One of our sons has more learning difficulties than the others, which meant it took some more work on our part, but that's kind of to be expected. You do the best you can for your kids and keep giving them experiences to build on and a home that values education, and they'll be okay.

Oh wait, I forgot. Science=Evil. Never mind.

I have BIG FUCKING ISSUES with people who are union members but regard the union as an insurance policy.

Excuse me? I have BIG FUCKING ISSUES with assholes who make assumptions. The union IS an insurance policy for shitty teachers who are past their prime. I am tired of THOSE teachers ruining the reputation of the teachers who BUST ASS daily for kids. I do what I do because I believe it serves an important role in our society. I would do what I do if it was unionized or not. Doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to my own damn opinions. :music-tool:

Archived