IGNORED

Christian usury

J'ean Skirt

Chattanooga area payday lender Carey V. Brown lays off workers

www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013/aug/17 ... f-workers/

The former Rossville used-car dealer preferred to present himself to the public as a philanthropist. He unveiled his Covenant Values foundation at a ceremony in downtown Chattanooga, pledging to donate $1 billion to charity. His companies made donations to food banks and a STEM school, joined the Chamber of Commerce and sent money to orphans and others in need.

A Christian at age 12, Brown grew up playing with orphans who were supported by profits from the owner of Hershey Chocolate Co. He decided then and there to do the same thing -- but with a twist. Working his way through college at Tennessee Temple University with the profits from Happy Motors, a buy here, pay here used-car company, Brown became a self-made man. The giant chicken on his auto lot's roof was a landmark for miles.

With a degree in accounting and now a background in financing cars, Brown moved on to brick and mortar payday lending, and then took his businesses online. He eventually developed about 1,000 jobs in the U.S. and Costa Rica, according to his biography, and has supported more than 10,000 orphans, founded 31,500 churches and helped convert almost 450,000 people to Christianity.

The mix of car dealership, pay day loans (I'd also assume there was some Joshy-style "car financing" going on here) and Christian "values" made me think this was the place to share it. The article didn't mention his dozen homeschooled kids, but I think that's all that's needed to hit the trifecta.

OB bias: I HATE pay day lenders. They take advantage of vulnerable populations and scam them out of money. They're worse than loan sharks. They are evil incarnate.

Chattanooga area payday lender Carey V. Brown lays off workers

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2013 ... f-workers/

The mix of car dealership, pay day loans (I'd also assume there was some Joshy-style "car financing" going on here) and Christian "values" made me think this was the place to share it. The article didn't mention his dozen homeschooled kids, but I think that's all that's needed to hit the trifecta.

OB bias: I HATE pay day lenders. They take advantage of vulnerable populations and scam them out of money. They're worse than loan sharks. They are evil incarnate.

In May of this year he was given an honorary doctorate from Tennesee Temple University (So, probably a big donation there too)

christiannewswire.com/news/1471272037.html

Which was two months after the Class action suit against him

http://media.getoutchattanooga.com/news ... awsuit.pdf Apparentlyat least in part for breaking spam laws (which can be a costly thing to break)

He himself calls one of his businesses a Shell Company (?!?! why would he admit that)

The Chattanooga entrepreneur who controls the businesses, Carey V. Brown, calls his payday business a “shell corporation†set up overseas for “lawsuit protection and tax reduction.â€

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011 ... y-lenders/

He has a vanity website to explain all this away careyvbrown.com/home

he says in his facts and opinions page that his payday lending was a generous act on his part.

Involvement in “Payday Lendingâ€

One of Carey’s personal missions, as a businessman and philanthropist, is to help those most in need. Many years ago, Carey saw the nation was experiencing a significant credit crisis, which was preventing millions of people from obtaining financing. Carey responded to this need by starting businesses that connect individuals who are underserved by banks with short-term financing options. As the economic crisis continued, the short-term loan products serviced banked and unbanked consumers.

Married 3 adult kids, Brainerd Baptist Church.

Here is the link to his foundation through which I believe he made the billion dollar pledge.

covenantvalues.com/ he may have removed part of it since he is now in the news.

Plus, it appears he called attention to himself by dragging his employees into a campaign donation mess.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... herry-huff

I am reminded of a local pharmacist who made a large pledge to his church building fund (a million or a few million) and was making the money by selling diluted chemotherapy and fertility treatments mixed in his pharmacy.

Did not break news source links.

Archived