IGNORED

"You cant play football because you're a girl!

FJismyheadship

Hmmm. She certainly seems to have the build and skills for it, but I don't think she can last much longer in a mostly male team. The boys on the team will shortly surpass her in weight and power. This is an unfortunate fact of life.

I do feel very sorry for her though, and especially angry at the reason given being that boys will lust after her. She's very cute and she's female, that is going to happen whether she plays the football she loves or stands on the sidelines. She shouldn't have to go away in case she tempts them to unholy sexual desires (in my experience that rarely shows itself on the pitch anyway!) That makes it all the fault of the girl and not the fault of boys who should control themselves.

It seems as though, as with women's football (soccer) women's American football is still in its infancy. This is kind of sad and I would like to see a lot more money, effort and time put into this. I will point out here that the Morning Star (UK Communist paper) is the only paper I know of that takes women's football as seriously as men's and also has a column by a member of Arsenal's women's team. Despite all the issues with the Morning Star, I would like to see more of this.

Or we could, alternatively to sacrificing our girls' well-being as well, work on the demise of American football in general rather than continuing to sacrifice young men's brains to a sport. The latest on CTE is that it has even been found in a former player who only had one diagnosed concussion. I knew a high school player when I was teaching who had four in one season. When he and his parents were told he should never play football again, they ignored that neurologist's advice. He continued and went on to play at a small college as well.

Hmmm. She certainly seems to have the build and skills for it, but I don't think she can last much longer in a mostly male team. The boys on the team will shortly surpass her in weight and power. This is an unfortunate fact of life.

We have a girl on our HS football team. She's 5'1 and probably weighs less than 100 lbs. I'm not sure what her position is though, but I know there was a big to do this spring when she was carrying around her practice equipment. She taped a sign to her chest that read "Yes I'm on the football team. Get over it." She's such a badass and one of my favorite students.

That is very cool, Ariel :dance:

I was a youthful rugby player (no, not touch rugby) and considered to be quite good. I played in a mixed team.

However nowadays I would be worse than useless in a women's team and the idea of playing versus men would be jokes, really. Truth is, what looks good and tough at 11 (5ft and 8 stone) looks distinctly less useful when you're 21 and still 5ft and 8 stone. Both male and female rugby players could throw me off the field with no effort at all (I'm a bit heavier nowadays but I don't think the rugby girls would change their opinion.)

If she turns out to be a big girl and rugby is played in her area she sounds ideally suited to that? Not touch, which is bollocks, but proper rugby. Looking at her she seems to have a well built sporty frame, and I would hate it if she gave up sports for the reason she's a girl.

Archived