IGNORED

Best.Tampon.Commerical.Ever.

2xx1xy1JD

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, when her kids were too little to get the full-tilt "facts of life" speech, my mother implied to us that the vaginal opening didn't even EXIST until it was time for a baby to come out of it. I told my 8-year-old sister something more factual about the vagina in front of Mom, and Mom freaked out. (TMI warning: Around this time, my sister came to me complaining of an itch. She said, "It isn't in the urine hole, and it isn't in the bowel movement hole--it's in the deep, deep hole in the middle.")

When my daughter was 7, I had to take her to a pediatric urologist for recurrent UTIs. The nurse began her exam by talking to my daughter about "going pee-pee," and my daughter and I looked at each other and surreptitiously rolled our eyes. The nurse left the examination room to get the doctor. By the time they returned, my daughter was just finishing up a very accurate drawing (on the whiteboard in the exam room) of kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra, labeled with their correct names. "Pee-pee," my glutei maximi.

Re the "Camp Gyno" commercial, let me say for the record that it was obvious to me that it wasn't intended for kids.

I am ashamed to admit this, but until last year, I had no idea what most of my parts were called, and assumed it all to be "vagina" Well, I knewclitoris too. I learned from the poster on the gyno's wall during my pregnancy appointments.

I struggle to say vulva out loud but I am trying to do better. I get embarrassed using those terms... until I was 18 I couldn't even say virgin.

I will teach my daughter the correct termbecause I don't want her to be ashamed.

Weirdly, now that I think of it I'm fairly sure I've never said "vagina" (or vulva, or labia) out loud. I did have to say "clitoris" in a history class once. I remember it quite clearly, as I had to say "clitoris", "vibrator", and "orgasm" all in once sentence (we were reading a book about hysteria). I was really proud of myself for getting through that!

My mom was really sensitive about such words. We weren't allowed to say "butt" or "pee" either, and whenever she heard the words "penis" or "vagina" she would react the way she would to swear words.

Don't feel bad that you didn't know the right words for the various lady parts. Where I work, we got fliers for various spa services, like facials and waxings. There is a service called a "vagacial," which offers (to borrow the phrase from humorist Dave Berry, I swear I'm not making this up) a detox for your (yes, they used this word) va jay jay. .... ummmm.... first of all, what makes it toxic (don't answer that) and second of all - your va jay jay is your vagina and it's internal. It's your vulva that is external (including the inner and outer labia and clitoris).... sheesh. why do I need a vagina wax? No hair grows in a woman's "Va jay jay."

:pull-hair:

/end rant.\

If I were potty training a 3-year-old, I have to admit, yes, I would teach her to use 'vagina' as a catch-all term. My problem isn't with not teaching kids totally scientifically accurate and specific terminology for their genitalia from the time they can talk, it's with teaching them ONLY goofy code words and cultivating an attitude of shame. I'd even rather them say 'privates' than something like 'vajayjay'.

Oh man, here I've been walking around with toxic genitals. I had no idea! I hope no one got hurt! lol

My pet peeve is "down there". Down where? My knees? My feet? South America?

I remember that Seinfeld episode where Jerry couldn't remember his gf's name, but knew it rhymed with a female body part. When he finally remembered it, and yelled our "Deloris!", I realized I'd been saying "clitoris" (inside my head) wrong all those years. I'd only read the word, never heard it said out loud.

okay, either US and UK pronunciations are totally different, or I have no idea how to pronounce Deloris.

okay, either US and UK pronunciations are totally different, or I have no idea how to pronounce Deloris.

In the US we say both CLIToris and cliTORis. The first one is probably more

common although "clit" usually gets the job done.

I'm from Germany, and somehow it annoys me to no end that we have two different pronunciations for vagina: VAgina and VaGIna, and I never know which is more common. Naming a body part shouldn't be that complicated :snooty:

Archived