IGNORED

Best.Tampon.Commerical.Ever.

2xx1xy1JD

Yeah, I don't really get the need for the service at all. Figure out when you are due, buy supplies at the local pharmacy, grab some chocolate if you feel like it, and that's it. Why pay for shipping? OTOH, maybe a tween or teen would like a monthly package instead of constantly bugging a parent to buy her stuff, and we already get the zit stuff as a package...

From the site

One day, after yet another lunch time run to the drugstore for an emergency box of tampons I decided there had to be a better way to manage my period. I didn't want to trek through my office with a practically see-through plastic bag with tampons; I didn't like being surprised (again) when my period hit; and I didn't want to add to the three half-used boxes of tampons and pads under my sink.

I dont understand the logic. I always keep some tampons in my bag so I dont have to get emergency boxes while at work. I did this when I was a kid too (got my period young). How will this service keep you from having to go buy emergency boxes of tampons if you dont carry them with you in the first place?

Also, the sites description for the add

We made our first video and it’s about friendship, power and first periods.

I did not see anything that suggested friendship in that add. There was a bossy girl that I would have punched if she told me to suck it up.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the commercial was pretty funny, and it vaguely reminded me of a series I recently discovered on Netflix called The Yard (I think it originally aired on HBO Canada?).

I always make sure I have a box of pads (with at least one left!!) at home and in my office, and usually carry an emergency spare single one in my backpack.

The 25 cent ones from vending are just NOT quality. Super bulky and yet without any wings. No.

I don't have a problem buying pads at the drugstore and other people seeing me in line with them though.

Until this one (I loved it), the funniest tampon commercial I ever saw featured two boys pooling their money, and the conversation went something like this. "Billy, what are we going to buy with all this money?" "You'll never believe it-I saw a commercial for something, and if we get it, we can go swimming, horseback riding, rollerblading, on roller coasters...everything! We're gonna have so much fun!" "Wow, Billy, what's this thing called?" "(Brand name here) tampons!" Mom is standing outside the door with a laundry basket, collapsing in laughter.

I don't understand this service. Why would you have your pads/tampons mailed to your house? How hard is it to make sure you've got enough around when your period comes? Is it about being embarrassed to buy them at the store? I mean, do you buy toilet paper? You use toilet paper to wipe yourself after you use the washroom. Everyone knows that. How is that any less embarrassing than a pad?

The commercials with cheerful women doing somersaults off diving boards wearing white bikinis are kind of silly, but so are the ones on the flipside. "Periods AREN'T fun! In fact, they're terrible!!!" Look, menstruation is a normal bodily function. You don't have to wear white jeans and go snowboarding, but you don't have to act like the world is ending, either. I know some women have it really bad. My sister was on prescription painkillers for cramps. I have a heavy flow and bad cramps. But I just deal with it and go on with my life. I don't understand the outcry against advertisers saying that you can have a 'happy period'. You can! In fact, usually I'm VERY happy about my period arriving because it means the latest bout of PMS is over! :P

How does the company know how many pads and tampons you will need? Why can't you just buy a large box of the stuff, keep in under the sink, and you're good to go for months? It's not a "problem" that you have to buy tampons and pads. It would be if the drugstore was 200 miles away,but most people are going to the drugstore or supermarket anyway.

I don't care if anyone sees tampons or pads in my bag, but if I did, I'd simply use a cloth bag and put it at the bottom.

Frankly, I didn't think the commercial was funny or even meaningful in any way. Ha, ha, a young girl says "vagina"--I mean, how third grade.

I actually felt a bit sorry for the young girl star in the ad--while it is perfectly OK to say the word "vagina" and "tampon" most young girls do not want to do so in an ad that might be seen by all their classmates and friends. And I think it's important to respect that modesty in a almost-pubescent girl. I know my 9 year old (a very outgoing and confident type) wouldn't want to do something like that.

The little actress herself is nine according to the article I linked. IMO (and, well, scientifically) there is a lot of difference developmentally between a nine-year-old and and 11-12 year old. I have three daughters, and I just can't see one of my own in that role at 9. Like I said, nothing wrong with it, it just makes me feel a bit protective and mama-bearish for reasons which I evidently can't effectively explain. I've known two people who started menstruating at nine but both of them had hormonal issues and were already developed in other ways, more body fat and some breast development.

I'm still laughing at that commercial though. It's a riot and that little girl is definitely going places, she's amazing. :clap:

I agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I have a 9 year old, as I said above, and I could never see her doing such a commercial. She hardly knows what "vagina" and "tampon" are (in the same sense we do) and yet she should start shouting about them in a video? Seems a violation of her innocence and privacy.

I didn't realize what the commercial (which I did think was cute) was for. Like others have said, what's wrong with just keeping a big box stocked? I don't think I've ever run out unless I forgot to bring some traveling or something (Ugh, I have a horror story of being 14, new to periods, supply-less, and in a part of the world without plumbing).

I'm also not regular at all (which is normal!), so a box at a certain time each month wouldn't help me that much.

Yeah, I don't really get the need for the service at all. Figure out when you are due, buy supplies at the local pharmacy, grab some chocolate if you feel like it, and that's it. Why pay for shipping? OTOH, maybe a tween or teen would like a monthly package instead of constantly bugging a parent to buy her stuff, and we already get the zit stuff as a package...

It would be cheaper to just go to the drugstore and buy supplies in bulk. $14 a month is too expensive for me.

I didn't like this commercial. The tone is too angry and the interactions too antagonistic. If you realize that menstruation is just a normal bodily function, why march around shouting about it? I don't mind that a young girl uses the word vagina--I'm all in favor of correct terminology--it is the attitude and tone that grossed me out.

I agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I have a 9 year old, as I said above, and I could never see her doing such a commercial. She hardly knows what "vagina" and "tampon" are (in the same sense we do) and yet she should start shouting about them in a video? Seems a violation of her innocence and privacy.

Her innocence? Are you some defrauded Duggar? Would you have preferred her to talk about her "coochie-snorcher" and that it was "that time of the month" or some other fancy euphemism?

Personally, I like the ad because the language is so direct. In a world where first periods are coming earlier and earlier, and yet we still teach bodily shame and not teach basic anatomy for genitalia, this is refreshing.

Also, how do you know she doesn't know what "vagina" and "tampon" are? That girl may already be menstruating.

Anyway, I love this ad because I wish I had something like it in 8th grade when my friends and I were getting our first periods and yet we were too embarrassed/ashamed to admit it in words above a whisper, even if it was just three of us in a room.

Or the time I told a guy friend that I had my period and he refused to speak to me for the rest of the day until we agreed to "never talk about that again."

Basically, I wish people were more open about their periods because it would take a large amount of stigma away.

Edited for riffles

My "innocent" 9 year old knows what menstruation, female fertility, tampons, pads, a keeper... all are. And have for a very long time. It's a bodily function that will eventually have a direct impact on her life, it's not dirty or bad.

We watched the video together and laughed so hard. It wasn't funny because a young girl said "vagina". (huh? Is there something weird about that? It's a body part that young girls possess from birth. Of course they should be comfortable saying it!) It was funny because the little dictator started out as a "nobody", got her period, and started running the camp with an iron fist. Some of the lines cracked us up! I talked to her about how I also felt so big and important when I got my period, not quite to that extreme. :lol:

As for the service - eh. The candy makes it seem pretty nice. LOL My daughter said she wants to get it. I told her maybe, or maybe when she gets her period I will just make her care packages for awhile myself, candy included. :wink-kitty:

Actually, the reason I use applicators is because I can never consistently get them up far enough so I don't feel them with just my finger. Got nothing to do with being too "grossed out" to touch myself.

I'm in the oh-so-wonderful pre-menopausal stage where I'm counting up the non-menstrual months to a full 12, at which point I can say I'm post-menopausal. (When do the fucking hot flashes stop?)

But back in the day, I preferred tampons with applicators for this same reason.

Her innocence? Are you some defrauded Duggar? Would you have preferred her to talk about her "coochie-snorcher" and that it was "that time of the month" or some other fancy euphemism?

Personally, I like the ad because the language is so direct. In a world where first periods are coming earlier and earlier, and yet we still teach bodily shame and not teach basic anatomy for genitalia, this is refreshing.

Also, how do you know she doesn't know what "vagina" and "tampon" are? That girl may already be menstruating.

I have no problem with a little girl using terms like vagina or tampon. I think that's a good idea. My 9-year old knows these terms, though she rarely uses them because the subject doesn't interest her.

However, a 9-year old generally doesn't know what "Camp Gyno" means. She has no clue why that other child is holding a mirror. Certainly she knows what a vagina is, but her understanding of the word is very different from mine.

To a little girl, a vagina is something you pee out of, and babies come out of. Grown women, however, know the word "vagina" in a very different way. They know about lovemaking, childbirth, rape, genital mutilation, disease, gyno exams, etc. You can tell a child about lovemaking or gyno exams, but they don't REALLY know them till they experience them. That's what I meant about innocence. Same with "tampons." There is the adult perspective and a child perspective.

Here's what my 9-year old might say about a tampon (sometimes she does look at mine):

"Ooh, that's weird."

"Look, if you push it here, cotton comes out."

"Let's take it apart. . . (gets distracted and leaves it on the floor for me to pick up.)

Absolutely a nine-year old is innocent--would you have it any other way? Maybe she's not as innocent as a 4 year old, but innocent nonetheless. If she isn't, something is very wrong.

I have no problem with a little girl using terms like vagina or tampon. I think that's a good idea. My 9-year old knows these terms, though she rarely uses them because the subject doesn't interest her.

However, a 9-year old generally doesn't know what "Camp Gyno" means. She has no clue why that other child is holding a mirror. Certainly she knows what a vagina is, but her understanding of the word is very different from mine.

To a little girl, a vagina is something you pee out of, and babies come out of. Grown women, however, know the word "vagina" in a very different way. They know about lovemaking, childbirth, rape, genital mutilation, disease, gyno exams, etc. You can tell a child about lovemaking or gyno exams, but they don't REALLY know them till they experience them. That's what I meant about innocence. Same with "tampons." There is the adult perspective and a child perspective.

Here's what my 9-year old might say about a tampon (sometimes she does look at mine):

"Ooh, that's weird."

"Look, if you push it here, cotton comes out."

"Let's take it apart. . . (gets distracted and leaves it on the floor for me to pick up.)

Absolutely a nine-year old is innocent--would you have it any other way? Maybe she's not as innocent as a 4 year old, but innocent nonetheless. If she isn't, something is very wrong.

If your daughter thinks she pees out of a vagina she's not just innocent. My 9 year old knows urethra, labia, vagina and vulva etc. It's important and holds no more shame than knowing eye, eyelid, eyelash, iris and pupil. It's fine if you aren't comfortable with your 9 year old knowing these things, but as others have mentioned - plenty of 9 year olds DO get their periods (as well as get abused or have health problems, heaven forbid) and it'd be very helpful to her if you armed her with knowledge in a straightforward way that isn't saddled with all that "innocence" bullcrap so she can come to you without weirdness or shame.

"Innocent" language aside, Hisey has a point. The jokes in the commercial are mostly not jokes a nine-year-old would have thought up on her own. It is imposing a more mature perspective on her. Personally I think it is imposing more negativity and conflict than a nine-year-old would come up with if taught about menstruation in an affirmative (or neutral) way.

I think the basics of the commercial were cute, but I think they should have used an older girl. Almost all the other girls looked like they were 12 ish. But for some reason a little girl, who still LOOKS like a little girl is the camp period expert?

There is a big difference between a 9 and a 12 year old, and while some girls do start their period that young they will generally look older than that girl. That part just seemed weird to me. And I started at 10 . It was that the girl was so obviously very young, and looked physically like a child that seemed really off, to me.

I was 10 when I got my first period, and didn't look so terribly different from the girl in the commercial. In fact, I was the first in my class (and only, for several months) despite being shorter than most of my peers.

In any case, I think the humor in the commercial is aimed at the moms who will pay for the service, more so than young girls themselves.

If your daughter thinks she pees out of a vagina she's not just innocent. My 9 year old knows urethra, labia, vagina and vulva etc. It's important and holds no more shame than knowing eye, eyelid, eyelash, iris and pupil. It's fine if you aren't comfortable with your 9 year old knowing these things, but as others have mentioned - plenty of 9 year olds DO get their periods (as well as get abused or have health problems, heaven forbid) and it'd be very helpful to her if you armed her with knowledge in a straightforward way that isn't saddled with all that "innocence" bullcrap so she can come to you without weirdness or shame.

Wow, so much upset about saying a 9-year is more innocent than an adult. Well, mine is, and I"m glad. She takes a week-long human development class in which she learns all sorts of information about sexuality, but she is still way, way more innocent than I am. And I say Yay! to that.

A 9 year old who has as much experience as an adult is a very sad child indeed.

The ad isn't about sex, though. It's about periods and tampons. And yeah, it's not uncommon for girls to use a mirror to figure out tampons for the first time.

When my girls were 9 and 12, they both had their periods. They were both virgins. The both knew "the facts of life". Not seeing a huge difference here.

Wow, so much upset about saying a 9-year is more innocent than an adult. Well, mine is, and I"m glad. She takes a week-long human development class in which she learns all sorts of information about sexuality, but she is still way, way more innocent than I am. And I say Yay! to that.

A 9 year old who has as much experience as an adult is a very sad child indeed.

The upset is over your conflation of ignorance of basic anatomy and physiology with innocence. I agree 9-year-olds are and should be more innocent. I disagree that it's disturbing that they should have biology knowledge.

If I ever have kids, they're going to say 'vagina' and 'penis' from the time they can talk. My mother taught me some silly cutesy word to say instead of 'vagina' and I was literally too embarrassed to say the word vagina until I was in my teens. Teaching a 9-year-old the proper anatomical terms for their genitalia, along with age-appropriate information about sexuality, is not the same as giving them a course in sex toys, different positions, and fetishes.

If I ever have kids, they're going to say 'vagina' and 'penis' from the time they can talk. My mother taught me some silly cutesy word to say instead of 'vagina' and I was literally too embarrassed to say the word vagina until I was in my teens. Teaching a 9-year-old the proper anatomical terms for their genitalia, along with age-appropriate information about sexuality, is not the same as giving them a course in sex toys, different positions, and fetishes.

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost: :agree: :text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyouyellow: :clap: :clap:

This, this, a thousand times this.

At my first week of school, we had an event where we could go to a special lecture. I went to the lecture that was held by my school's sexuality expert. Everyone calls her the sex lady.

Her lecture was about how in european countries, there's a greater emphasis on using protection during sex and not stigmatizing the act of having sex. (Or something good like that. This was three years ago.)

Anyway, after the lecture, I asked about teaching children about safe sex, healthy sexuality, something like that. (Again, this was three years ago.)

What I do remember is that she said that every child is different, so the time to teach them/how to teach them will vary. HOWEVER - and this is the part I am getting to - SHE SAID THAT CHILDREN SHOULD LEARN THE NAMES OF ALL BODY PARTS. INCLUDING THE PENIS AND VAGINA.

I remember she said something about how when children learn about their bodies, there's this big gap between the stomach and the knees.

So you, singsingsing, if you ever have kids, you will be doing the right thing. Thank you.

I have taught my little girl to call the the correct terms "penis" and "vagina". We are in the middle of potty training do there's a lot of me saying "Wipe your vagina, front to back". I can see the shudders from some of the women in the bathroom when she or I use the term.

The ad was funny, though I'm not a fan of tampons. Can't use the service either as I had a hysterectomy 4years ago.

BTW, the ad did precisely what they intended...it has over 4 million hits, people are talking about the company, and though it might not be exactly how we'd like it talked about it is a conversation about menstration...and you've got to admit..."It's like Santa for you vagina" is a hilarious line!

Archived