IGNORED

Best.Tampon.Commerical.Ever.

2xx1xy1JD

I have taught my little girl to call the the correct terms "penis" and "vagina". We are in the middle of potty training do there's a lot of me saying "Wipe your vagina, front to back". I can see the shudders from some of the women in the bathroom when she or I use the term.

The ad was funny, though I'm not a fan of tampons. Can't use the servigce either as I had a hysterectomy 4years ago.

BTW, the ad did precisely what they intended...it has over 4 million hits, people are talking about the company, and though it might not be exactly how we'd like it talked about it is a conversation about menstration...and you've got to admit..."It's like Santa for you vagina" is a hilarious line!

Ummm....no offense but if you are insisting on the correct terminology you should be telling your daughter to wipe her vulva, not her vagina.

Personally I don't care if people use the formal terminology or something more colloquial, but if your going for the "correct" jargon you might as well be accurate.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the basics of the commercial were cute, but I think they should have used an older girl. Almost all the other girls looked like they were 12 ish. But for some reason a little girl, who still LOOKS like a little girl is the camp period expert?

There is a big difference between a 9 and a 12 year old, and while some girls do start their period that young they will generally look older than that girl. That part just seemed weird to me. And I started at 10 . It was that the girl was so obviously very young, and looked physically like a child that seemed really off, to me.

Thank you, exactly.

Ummm....no offense but if you are insisting on the correct terminology you should be telling your daughter to wipe her vulva, not her vagina.

Personally I don't care if people use the formal terminology or something more colloquial, but if your going for the "correct" jargon you might as well be accurate.

You are actually correct and I admit I do bow down to pressure from her daycare as those are the terms they use. Those are the only terms they use...they will not use any of the parental nicknames. There are some pretty crazy euphemisms for both sets of sex organs.

I think some of the other terms people teach their kids are way more weird and sometimes offensive than using the proper terminology. I've heard a lot if them and the one that squicked me out the most was "peach". Anyway yeah I teach my kids the real words. I also applaud the daycare that refuses to use the parental terms for body parts. I think that's a smart idea.

(What's a Period? Part 1)

(What's a Period? Part 2)

This isn't a commercial. Actually I'm not sure WTF it is... :pink-shock:

Let's pretend that blood inside your body is coming out from an opening between your legs now!

I work in a child care, and we have a pretty similar rule. We say "Penis" and "vagina" and that's just all there is to it. We've never had any parents complain.

As for my son? "penis" was practically his first word! Now that he's potty training, he's very interested in body parts. He keeps asking where my penis is, and I just remind him the girls don't have penises, they have vaginas. He's young enough that he doesn't need it any more specific than that.

As for the service of having tampons delivered, why would anyone pay for that? Just pick up box the next time you're shopping. You can get them at the grocery store even! I have a stash in my bathroom cabinet (of all 3 absorbancies I need), and even more stashed in my purse "just in case". It's just that simple. No running out for an emergency box during my lunch hour.

I work in a child care, and we have a pretty similar rule. We say "Penis" and "vagina" and that's just all there is to it. We've never had any parents complain.

As for my son? "penis" was practically his first word! Now that he's potty training, he's very interested in body parts. He keeps asking where my penis is, and I just remind him the girls don't have penises, they have vaginas. He's young enough that he doesn't need it any more specific than that.

As for the service of having tampons delivered, why would anyone pay for that? Just pick up box the next time you're shopping. You can get them at the grocery store even! I have a stash in my bathroom cabinet (of all 3 absorbancies I need), and even more stashed in my purse "just in case". It's just that simple. No running out for an emergency box during my lunch hour.

Warning, vent to follow, not aimed at this poster but the subject in general.

Okay, I have to say that insisting that girls use the word "vagina" to refer to the entire area is a really confusing message.

As adult women (or even post puberty girls) we hopefully distinguish our vagina as a separate entity from where we pee. For little girls the only connection with the word is going to be going pee. So you are literally telling them they pee out of their vagina, which, hopefully, they do not.

I just do not understand the insistence on using the correct terminology, insisting even the parents use this same correct terminology, telling parents how important it is to use the correct words and be proud to use them and on and on ...often in a "we know better, we are so much more evolved than those silly backwards people who use the wrong words" BUt its the wrong damn term ! For boys you can say penis and yes, that is the multi-purpose organ they pee with. Telling girls to say vagina for the area they associate only with pee is giving them actual anatomically incorrect info.

:angry-banghead:

I'm in the oh-so-wonderful pre-menopausal stage where I'm counting up the non-menstrual months to a full 12, at which point I can say I'm post-menopausal. (When do the fucking hot flashes stop?)

But back in the day, I preferred tampons with applicators for this same reason.

From the "need for tampons ship has sailed" perspective:

I was 15 when my periods started (I know, freak of nature) - but even back then, I think this commercial would have cracked me up, as it does now. And as for predicting the end times for hot flashes, I only wish I could. I'm closing in on 60, and serve as my own personal alternative energy source. :lol:

Warning, vent to follow, not aimed at this poster but the subject in general.

Okay, I have to say that insisting that girls use the word "vagina" to refer to the entire area is a really confusing message.

As adult women (or even post puberty girls) we hopefully distinguish our vagina as a separate entity from where we pee. For little girls the only connection with the word is going to be going pee. So you are literally telling them they pee out of their vagina, which, hopefully, they do not.

I just do not understand the insistence on using the correct terminology, insisting even the parents use this same correct terminology, telling parents how important it is to use the correct words and be proud to use them and on and on ...often in a "we know better, we are so much more evolved than those silly backwards people who use the wrong words" BUt its the wrong damn term ! For boys you can say penis and yes, that is the multi-purpose organ they pee with. Telling girls to say vagina for the area they associate only with pee is giving them actual anatomically incorrect info.

This drives me nuts too! If your vagina is on the outside of your body, there is something wrong with you.

I think some of the other terms people teach their kids are way more weird and sometimes offensive than using the proper terminology. I've heard a lot if them and the one that squicked me out the most was "peach". Anyway yeah I teach my kids the real words. I also applaud the daycare that refuses to use the parental terms for body parts. I think that's a smart idea.

I work at an early childhood summer camp. We had one camper who referred to his penis as Mr Penis. His parents said they didn't teach him to say that...he just started doing it. I don't know why, but I found it endlessly hilarious.

I read somewhere puberty is happening two or three years earlier than normal. Still I've never heard of 8 yr olds menstruating. I think girls have to learn these things early but in small doses. Tampons increases the risk of toxic shock syndrome but the number of cases has decreased.

Actually, the reason I use applicators is because I can never consistently get them up far enough so I don't feel them with just my finger. Got nothing to do with being too "grossed out" to touch myself.

Same here. I've been using tampons for years but never quite managed to use the non-applicator ones without hurting myself. Nothing to do with touching.

I went to the web site and it seems you have to choose which flow you have ( light, medium, heavy) and you only get a box of that size. They need to have a box of mix and match sizes I'd say.

It also seems pricey

If you Google "tampon delivery", you'll get atleast three or four hits for similar services. All packaged in brown unmarked boxes. Now I'm not one to announce my period to anyone, or want people to know I'm on my period, but tampon-hiding seems to be taking it a little far. I understand keeping them in a pouch in your bag might save you from getting them crushed out of their wrappers (happened to me once, not pretty, I now have a cute little pouch that looks like an ordinary pencil case that saves my stash) but *hiding* them completely in brown boxes??

I thought the commercial was funny. I admit "suck it up and deal with it" is a bit out of line, but I prefer teaching them early and prepare them than wait for it to come and having no supplies, and teach them the appropriate names for their body parts.

I'm sorry to get off-topic (well, it IS tampon-related) and TMI, but I find the no-applicator tampon information of interest. I like that they're small & create less waste, & I have no issue with touching my vulva, but I find using them when in public restrooms to be rather unhygienic. I've had the same issue with Diva Cup. How do those of you who are exclusively Diva Cup or no-applicator tampons deal with using those products in public restrooms?

As for the commercial, I found it a little unsettling, I think because of the age of the girl. I like the premise, but the execution isn't quite right.

I'm sorry to get off-topic (well, it IS tampon-related) and TMI, but I find the no-applicator tampon information of interest. I like that they're small & create less waste, & I have no issue with touching my vulva, but I find using them when in public restrooms to be rather unhygienic. I've had the same issue with Diva Cup. How do those of you who are exclusively Diva Cup or no-applicator tampons deal with using those products in public restrooms?

As for the commercial, I found it a little unsettling, I think because of the age of the girl. I like the premise, but the execution isn't quite right.

Re: diva cup and no-app tampon, it's quite easy to bring a small ziploc bag with a few baby wipes or damp paper towels or even a washcloth, (I bring wipes if I'm using Diva since they are eternally available at my house :roll: ) and do a quick clean up if you feel led. However, it's not that messy. If by chance you are contaminated with a drop of blood, you can wipe it off with a bit of toilet paper and then use the other hand to turn on the tap when you wash your hands. Seriously, it is no big deal. The diva cup is nice because no wrapper noise. So possibly even more discreet and people won't be side-eying your hands when you come out of the stall. Actually they don't, anyway....but still. It's really really no big deal.

Why don't we have diva cup and tampon smilies?

I'm one of those clumsies who still can't figure out how to use no-app tampons and cups without hurting myself.

And the commercial, maybe she is a little young, but like I said, I like it and I still find it funny :lol:

clearly this ad isn't going to be understood by younger kids and is aimed more at the adults buying for their daughters (doling out tampons like cigarettes in a prison, the "suck it up" power-hungry comment). I thought it was pretty funny.

I liked it! I know that's how old I looked when I started my first period.

I still think the service itself is a little pointless, though I do like the idea of sweets.

I'm honestly curious about this too - when did it start?

And, is there a name for the whole package? Is "vulva" the proper term to refer to all of it? I know the names of the individual parts (labia, vagina, clitoris, urethra, etc) in that body region for the whole thing, does "vulva" work?

With boys they mostly talk about two things - penis and testicles. That's it. They're fairly distinct and "out there" as separate entities.

But imagine if somehow the word for "mouth" was lost from English, and everyone knows about teeth, gums, tongue, uvula, lips, throat and so on, but there's no word for just "mouth" so they started calling the mouth the throat. It feels like that.

So why not more use of "vulva" (assuming that's the right word)? Was there some specific campaign that got everyone off on the wrong foot?

In my experience vagina is the accepted general term for the whole package. It makes sense to teach that word to a young child who doesn't have the capacity yet to distinguish between and remember all the words for the various parts.

In my experience vagina is the accepted general term for the whole package. It makes sense to teach that word to a young child who doesn't have the capacity yet to distinguish between and remember all the words for the various parts.

I don't disagree with you. Its fine to say "wipe your vulva". I guess that's just not what comes naturally to me. When I'm referring to the whole thing or just in general conversation like with my husband I will use vagina. Exactly in the way a pp used the example of "mouth". That's generally accepted/understood and used in my experience. But you are correct that the usage is technically wrong. From that perspective I see what you mean that's not really different than saying "peepee" or something with a small child who can't yet comprehend all the anatomy. I am kind of rethinking because words are important. I guess Im just not sure what an alternative term would be that I'd be comfortable with. I don't really care for peepee.

We taught my daughter "vulva" from a young age. Aside from one time when she whispered, "Mom, my vulva is itchy" when she was around 3 in front of an older cashier and almost made her faint, it's been without incident. :lol:

My mother didn't like it either, though. When I was first showing her the sonogram picture she wanted to know how I knew for certain my daughter was a girl because "just because they don't see a penis doesn't mean it's not hiding". I told her that not only did they NOT see a penis but they DID see a labia, and here it is and she got all pearl clutchy and offended. So, it was funny to me those very rare times when my young daughter mentioned her parts in front of my mom. :dance:

I get that young children might not comprehend anatomy (although, I don't agree with that), but then it doesn't make sense to teach them something wrong. Hopefully no child needs to know about a vagina for awhile, so then why wouldn't you teach labia or vulva? Or even genitals, that would work. Then when a child asks about how babies are born you can say, "There is a small opening in your labia/vulva/genitals..."

But, like I said, I don't accept that a female child cannot comprehend female anatomy. If they are old enough to get arm, shoulder, elbow, wrist, hand, finger, fingernail plus all the rest of their body, then why would vulva and vagina be too confusing? It's two things. Heck, throw clitoris in there and make it three - that should really freak people out. :wink-kitty:

I think it all goes back to women being inherently dirty and their sexuality and sexual parts being shameful. One of the big things pointed out earlier was that one of the girls in the commercial had a mirror, as if a little girl being curious about a part of her body she can't easily see is bad. And it's not, it's normal, natural, healthy, and I hate to think of any little girl feeling shamed for that curiosity.

Vulva is the proper term for the external portions of female genitalia and that is what we should be using and teaching our kids.

I was also just taught penis and vagina in school as a kid, and I have a few problems with it aside from it being incorrect. It implies that the vagina is the female equivalent to the penis, which it is not. It immediately disregards the clitoris as an important part of the female. While I was taught penis and vagina over and over in school, they did not teach clitoris until health in high school and even then they did not teach its function or importance. And it is particularly confusing because urine does not come from the vagina.

It sounds silly for many to say "wipe your vulva" to a kid, but that is because public schools have been teaching the wrong information for generations. Not a good reason to keep doing it wrong. Sure the anatomy is complicated, but kids are smart. Start with vulva for the whole thing.

Well my son is 3 and doesn't understand very many parts/functions of his body yet. Not because we don't use the terms but he is ASD so maybe that is coloring my perspective of thinking about little kids grasping the concepts. I meant understand it on a purely cognitive level. Also I don't use the specific terms much myself for different parts of my genitals very often in general conversation. I don't think it's because I'm uncomfortable with the terms, I'm not. My daughter is only 8 weeks old so I'm not using any words yet lol. I guess I figured vagina would be the one I used when we got to the stage where you want to start teaching proper terms but are still at the stage where it needs to be kept kind of simple for the sake of understanding. I definitely can see that vulva is a more correct term. It just isn't a word I really use so I hadn't thought of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZEOweeoaE&feature=related (What's a Period? Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD-TG5_uF18 (What's a Period? Part 2)k

This isn't a commercial. Actually I'm not sure WTF it is... :pink-shock:

Let's pretend that blood inside your body is coming out from an opening between your legs now!

It is an educational video for developmentally delayed girls to learn about their periods.

Archived