IGNORED

Best.Tampon.Commerical.Ever.

2xx1xy1JD

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw this on Penelope Trunk's website, and I don't get it. Are you supposed to show this to young girls? My own 9-year old would be puzzled and frightened by this. Why is the girl lying in pain saying "it hurts!" What is a gyno? Why are they throwing the tampons around?

Penelope implied this is a video to show to kids, presumably girls who are learning about their periods. If that's true, I think the video is a big fail. What's funny to a pushing 50 lady like Penelope isn't going to be funny to a young girl who knows little about menstrual cycles.

If the video has some other purpose, then maybe it's OK. But what kind of purpose could that be?

Oh, I see. It's a commercial for a monthly mail order tampon/pad service. OK, just glad that it's not an educational tool. It doesn't bother me to see a young girl using tampons, but it doesn't seem to be a particularly funny or amazing commercial, IMO.

American tampons look terrifying :shock:

It isn't exactly an educational video but I thought it was funny. I'm all for encouraging girls to be less ashamed of their cycles.

Also LOL @ the youtube commenters saying how disgusting it is to encourage young girls to use tampons because they might damage their hymens and no longer be virgins.

Oh, LOL. That ad is hilarious.

But that little girl only looks 8 years old. I mean, yeah, I know kids start early sometimes but it's not usually the ones that LOOK 8 years old, is it?

She looks about 12 to me. I saw this a few days and thought it was hilarious... obviously not an educational tool, but it's a commercial to sell the product. Another awesome one from recently:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... ebook.html

These commercials aren't supposed to educate kids about periods, they're a new trend of having advertisements that acknowledge the ridiculousness of trying to package menstruation in a happy clean light for the comfort of men (mostly), and I'm sure they're seeing a big boost in sales from it because they do it in a clever, funny "up yours" kinda way.

And I think the tampons without applicators seem so much more difficult!

LOL, we do have non-applicator ones here too, you know! :lol: I agree that the applicator ones are terrifying, because of how much unnecessary waste they create - and all because people are too grossed out to touch their own vulvas. :roll:

She looks about 12 to me. I saw this a few days and thought it was hilarious... obviously not an educational tool, but it's a commercial to sell the product. Another awesome one from recently:

These commercials aren't supposed to educate kids about periods, they're a new trend of having advertisements that acknowledge the ridiculousness of trying to package menstruation in a happy clean light for the comfort of men (mostly), and I'm sure they're seeing a big boost in sales from it because they do it in a clever, funny "up yours" kinda way.

http://www.thegloss.com/2013/07/31/cult ... -helloflo/

She's NINE.

The commercial is hilarious and she's brilliant but it does squick me out just the teeniest bit that a nine-year-old is put forward as a representative of menstruating (breedable) females. I don't like the way a lot of men think and this makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

There are nine year olds who menstruate but I don't know if your average Mr. Ignorant needs to know that.

It's probably just me. I'm a protective mum, lol.

And I think the tampons without applicators seem so much more difficult!

Cardboard applications. I can deal with no applicator but not cardboard.

LOL, we do have non-applicator ones here too, you know! :lol: I agree that the applicator ones are terrifying, because of how much unnecessary waste they create - and all because people are too grossed out to touch their own vulvas. :roll:

Actually, the reason I use applicators is because I can never consistently get them up far enough so I don't feel them with just my finger. Got nothing to do with being too "grossed out" to touch myself.

I guess this is the female answer to the dollar shave club?

I though it was funny too and would have liked something like this when I was a kid. The packages include candy!

I went to the web site and it seems you have to choose which flow you have ( light, medium, heavy) and you only get a box of that size. They need to have a box of mix and match sizes I'd say.

It also seems pricey

http://www.thegloss.com/2013/07/31/cult ... -helloflo/

She's NINE.

The commercial is hilarious and she's brilliant but it does squick me out just the teeniest bit that a nine-year-old is put forward as a representative of menstruating (breedable) females. I don't like the way a lot of men think and this makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest.

There are nine year olds who menstruate but I don't know if your average Mr. Ignorant needs to know that.

It's probably just me. I'm a protective mum, lol.

FWIW, my Girl 2 got her period around her 8th birthday. Early, sure, but it happens, and we had to deal with it. Some of the other moms may be a tad surprised to learn that Girl 2 taught their daughters all about periods.

There are boxes that include all the sizes.

And yeah the applicators make it easier for me and us also just the norm around here and is what I'm used to. Trust me I touch my vulva plenty.

Damn it, now I want a "care package" with candy when it's my cycle.

1. 9 year olds do get periods. I have known several women that started that young. Personally, I was 11, which isn't much older.

2. Where does it say she's supposed to be 9? She could be older or playing someone older.

3. The other girls in the ad were not much older than she was, maybe 11 or 12.

1. 9 year olds do get periods. I have known several women that started that young. Personally, I was 11, which isn't much older.

2. Where does it say she's supposed to be 9? She could be older or playing someone older.

3. The other girls in the ad were not much older than she was, maybe 11 or 12.

The little actress herself is nine according to the article I linked. IMO (and, well, scientifically) there is a lot of difference developmentally between a nine-year-old and and 11-12 year old. I have three daughters, and I just can't see one of my own in that role at 9. Like I said, nothing wrong with it, it just makes me feel a bit protective and mama-bearish for reasons which I evidently can't effectively explain. I've known two people who started menstruating at nine but both of them had hormonal issues and were already developed in other ways, more body fat and some breast development.

I'm still laughing at that commercial though. It's a riot and that little girl is definitely going places, she's amazing. :clap:

If someone told me to "suck it up and deal with it!" when I was crampy, they themselves would be in need of a REAL doctor. I hate it when that problem gets minimized like that. I hope there's loads odd painkiller in those care boxes.

I tried applicator free tampons once. I just couldn't get them up there.

I touch myself a lot when I put in my menstrual cup, so that is not my issue with applicator less tampons.

I've been using non applicator tampons for more than 35 years, back when I was pilfering my mom's supply. Back then I didn't know any other kind existed, and now I really don't like the ones with applicators. I like that I can put one in my pocket if I'm not carrying a purse, and also that there is no applicator to throw away. BTW, I love the commercial but do yourselves a favor and do not read the comments. Just don't. There are some sick people out there.

:laughing-rollingyellow: Hahahaha I loved that commercial!

:laughing-rollingyellow: Hahahaha I loved that commercial!

"..and yes, the blood coursing from our uteri like some crimson landslide"

Love it!

When I first saw this commercial, I was happy about it. It is a great to see a commercial about menstruation without the watered down language and people wearing white and doing something sporty.

I think it takes an important step, and is introducing new dialogue to some people, which is good. That said, I have a few issues with the company and the service it provides. It is for a company that sends you an unmarked box 3-7 days before your period. We already have a tampon-hiding type culture, and this doesn't help. A few days ago I went to the website (helloflo.com) and read a lot about the need to be discreet and I was sort of upset that such a cool ad came from a company like this. It makes me think of how back in my grandmother's day, she would purchase a package of pads and the clerk would wrap it seperately so it wouldn't be seen through the bag.

My issues with the ad are not that big and easilly overlooked, so I won't even bother to bring them up (I feel like I might be nit-picking it now). I think looking at the big picture, this ad is fantastic.

Yeah, I don't really get the need for the service at all. Figure out when you are due, buy supplies at the local pharmacy, grab some chocolate if you feel like it, and that's it. Why pay for shipping? OTOH, maybe a tween or teen would like a monthly package instead of constantly bugging a parent to buy her stuff, and we already get the zit stuff as a package...

Archived