IGNORED

Kosher Recipes?

crazyforkate

En route to becoming a Jew-by-choice, and just wondering if anyone had some fun kosher recipes to share! Sure, there's the Internet in front of me, but I'd love some that come with the FJ Seal of Approval. Any good ideas?

I have so many recipes I wouldn't know where to start, so I'm going to recommend kosherinthekitch.com, joyofkosher.com, and the Kosher by Design series of cookbooks.

Thanks for the recommends evenstar. So far I've made a shabbat torte with apricots and a savoury noodle kugel. Mmmmm...

I collect kosher cookbooks, so here are my recommended titles:

Encyclopedia of Jewish Food by Gil Marks (a reference book with 200 recipes, this is goes into the history of traditional Jewish recipes and ingredients)

Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks (traditional Jewish vegetarian recipes)

Hip Kosher by Ronnie Fein

The Kosher by Design series by Susie Fishbein

Healthy Cooking for the Jewish Home

• 3 weeks later...

Kosher is (mostly) easy - start with chicken soup and proceed from there :-)

Would you like a recipe for chicken soup, latkes and potato and/or noodle kugel?

• 2 months later...

Recipe books:

Norene's Healthy Kitchen - very easy, fun to read

Second Helpings, Please! - 45 year old B'nai Brith fundraising project that's STILL in print and being sold! Norene Gilletz (see first suggestion) was the editor, and she went on to great things. Some recipes are time-warp bad (like the unfortunate gefilte fish jello mold), but others are easy classics, and I still use it for traditional holiday basics.

More Please! - the fancy new cookbook put out by Associated Hebrew Schools in Toronto. Lots of photos, and some of the recipes are really good (esp. the ones that I contributed)

Recipes you need for Shabbat and holiday dinners:

Challah

some basic dips and spreads (olive dip, dairy-free guacamole, hummus)

a good baked fish

chicken soup

some sort of roast/baked chicken

some sort of brisket or similar slow-cooked beef

dairy-free chocolate brownies

My favorite chicken recipe:

Chicken thighs

grainy mustard

white cooking wine

balsamic vinegar

rosemary

Combine equal amounts of mustard, wine and vinegar, add a pinch of rosemary. Mix together. Toss chicken in this marinade, let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Put in roasting pan. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 min, reduce heat to 325 and continue until done.

If you are cooking chicken with other stuff and trying to get a full Shabbat or holiday dinner together - the fish can go in the oven at 400, and then the challah can go in when the heat is reduced to 325.

Archived