IGNORED

MR Group Poster Suggesting Women Lie about Rape

tropaka

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013 ... venge.html

Posters suggest reporting rape can be act of revenge

Men’s Rights Edmonton started a campaign called “Don’t Be That Girl,†which suggests some women lie about rape.

A campaign by a group called Men’s Rights Edmonton, called “Don’t Be That Girl,†suggests some women lie about being raped and that rape is overreported.

EDMONTON—The authors of a controversial poster plastered around Edmonton that suggests reporting rape can be an act of revenge are speaking out.

Recently, the Edmonton police service started an advertising campaign called “Don’t Be That Guy,†which advises that sex without consent constitutes sexual assault.

A group called Men’s Rights Edmonton started their own campaign called “Don’t Be That Girl,†which suggests some women lie about being raped and that rape is overreported.

The poster depicts attractive young women drinking in the company of young men, and has the caption: “Just because you regret a one-night stand doesn’t mean it wasn’t consensual.â€

The University of Alberta ordered the posters be taken down, saying that while free speech is respected the posters violated the school’s posting policies.

Men’s Rights Edmonton says the poster was meant to provoke discussion about false accusations and double standards.

“Nobody wants to see sexual assault happen, nobody wants to see rape happen, but we have to stop thinking of this as a gender problem,†says a member, who would only identify himself as Raz.

“What posters like ‘Don’t be that guy’ do is they essentially insert that if men are told not to rape, they rape, which is completely false.â€

Raz says the group has gotten positive feedback about the posters.

“This is something that has negatively impacted my family and my life and nobody is talking about it,†says Raz.

“The presumption is out of the gate that you are probably guilty, and it’s because of this misinformation that our society has become saturated with.â€

Karen Smith, executive director of the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton, says she was saddened by the posters.

“I’m really disappointed that these people would decide to not recognize that there’s a significant problem of sexual assault in our community,†Smith said.

The Edmonton police say their campaign was meant to encourage victims of sexual assault to come forward.

“To demean these crimes goes against that and to belittle them goes against that,†says acting Insp. Sean Armstrong.

Police say about one per cent of sexual assaults they investigate are found to have been fabricated.

"Raz" and his group can just Fuck Right Off!

I agree with you completely. MRAs are one of the groups that drive me completely crazy because the "logic" that they use is just bonkers.

MRA don't suggest women lie about rape, it is one of their main taglines! Many claim up to 60% up rapes are false, and that women lie all the time. Of course, there is not a lick of evidence that the false reports of rape or higher than any other crime.

MRA's are just a bunch of pathetic men and that's all they'll ever be

The MRA guy who has taken responsibility for the posters goes by Mr.E. He doesn't even have the balls to use his real name.

They give life to legitimate rape. if the woman is a virgin in a dark ally in a nuns habit and dies in resisting then it is a true rape otherwise no. makes you wonder how many are rapists themselves.

I'm just curious, has anyone here ever met a self-identified Men's Rights Advocate of any kind in real life? I've only ever heard of them online, where they seem to have a relatively large presence. But then stuff like this happens and I'm reminded they do exist 'in real life'. Maybe they are more common in America or Canada. I did know one guy who had kind of MRA-like beliefs (as in, he reminded me of MRAs I had seen online), but I doubt he was affiliated with them in any way. Don't get me wrong, I do think men have legitimate issues that need solving, but this is so strange to me.

It's slightly off-topic in regards to this, but there is a law firm here in Michigan where they advertise about how they only help men with family la , because (according to them) men ALWAYS get screwed in divorce cases. So I'd say they probably fall into this camp. I've never actually talked to them about anything meaningful, but I did come into contact with them in my former job and they were pretty obnoxious.

Men's Rights Advocate? Seriously? Men are so oppressed, after all.

Reporting a rape causes such a massive amount of bullshit for the victim. Wtf are these people smoking that they think so many women lie about it to get revenge? I've heard "Before He Cheats". Sounds like good revenge to me.

I'm just curious, has anyone here ever met a self-identified Men's Rights Advocate of any kind in real life? I've only ever heard of them online, where they seem to have a relatively large presence. But then stuff like this happens and I'm reminded they do exist 'in real life'. Maybe they are more common in America or Canada. I did know one guy who had kind of MRA-like beliefs (as in, he reminded me of MRAs I had seen online), but I doubt he was affiliated with them in any way. Don't get me wrong, I do think men have legitimate issues that need solving, but this is so strange to me.

Oh, they definitely exist in real life. I don't see them many places outside of family court, but they certainly seem to show up there and on the "Letters to the Editor" page of the local papers.

Archived