IGNORED

28 kids in one family!

mintlotion

In Susan's defense, the oldest daughter at home is not being forced to live there. She is going to college, has her own vehicle, and even admitted that even though she is free to leave, she likes "the family lifestyle". She has her own boyfriend and they could probably live together if that's what she wanted. The one segment Susan gets a lot of flack for was when Margaret (oldest daughter at home) is having a meltdown and Susan looks to be blowing her off. I watched the director's commentary. Apparently, she was not making any sense and that episode actually lasted several hours. At the same time Susan was trying to deal with Joe who was being highly verbally abusive towards the whole family and really causing a scene. I don't think Susan is perfect, but I think she does a pretty damn good job.

I honestly think Margaret was there because of her relationship with Antony. They're the same age but his EB is so crippling for him. They always seemed to be hanging out together and she spent a lot of time driving him places and hanging out with him. His disease was fatal (he died right before EHM) and she knew she didn't have a lot of time with him. Like I said, most of the other children are capable of taking care of themselves. I also saw Margaret helping out of her own volition, and not because she is forced to like a fundie daughter. She said something along the lines of her mother having so many responsibilities, and helping because she likes to be helpful. At the time the documentary was filmed, there were 9 kids living at home, the youngest being 8. She wasn't homeschooling or forced to be a nanny to babies like fundie daughters. She was free to leave at any time.

I also recall that Margaret was attending nursing school. I do wonder if Margaret is still living at the family home. I know Xenia has a child and seems to be living away from the home.

I'm going to chime in. I knew Susan Tom. Some background - I have Cystic Fibrosis (as did Joe Tom) and so did my brother. My brother died in 1998 at the age of 13. He spent a lot of time in the hospital in the last 5 years of his life or so at Children's Hospital of Oakland. When Susan's kids needed hospitalized they went there too. At that time kids with CF were encouraged to socialize while in the hospital. Joe was a few years younger than my brother and they roomed together on occasion when they happened to be sick at the same time. I don't remember any psychological issues but Joe was very young. (He was 10 when my brother died). When my brother died Susan was a real comfort to my family and myself. I also spent some time with her daughter Susie (who had EB and has since died) while she was in the hospital at the same time as my brother. I have NOT seen the documentary and maybe I will at some point but I don't know. When Susan's kids were in the hospital she was there. When I was in Susie's room Susan was there as well. After my brother's death and our move to a different city I kept in touch with Susan for a while via email but we have long since lost contact. Oh I did watch the Extreme Makeover episode of them. I was only a child/teen when I knew Susan but from my memory she was a very loving and involved mother. But again, I only knew her under "rare" and "extreme" circumstances, not on an "everyday" level.

EB is a terrible disorder. I have the acquired type, which is much less severe and can be managed in some cases. I really feel for families who have children with EB and the children. It is extraordinarily difficult to deal with. (I have been in remission with minor flares for several years and the acquired type is different than congenital EB bot in cause and severity...)

Archived