IGNORED

Christian History Text Books & Marriage Equality

infooverload

To be fair, this is an extract from a book in my possession:

-from chapter 1, The essential history of Christianity, Rev Dr Miranda Threlfall-Holmes 2012

(proper titles from proper universities)

... and the geographic extent of the southern Roman Empire had a lot in common with Alexander's.

Not arguing that. But from myt history educator's point of view, there was a great absurdity in reducing Alexander the Great's role in the history of the ancient world to nothing more than being some sort of service to Christianity. The teaching materials included tests, project and essays teachers were to use that included no actual assessment of his role other than to have students explain how he "prepared the world for Christ". That is BAD teaching of history. There is no way around it.

Also, I wrote in an earlier post that I would not have objected to students writing about or exploring the idea of how the Roman Empire made the spread of Christianity possible. That is a historically valid discussion. As is how Alexander united the Mediterranean world and in some ways his empire was a precursor to Rome's. I may have taught for a time in a Christian school, but my education was NOT from them. That is why it was very difficult for me to deal with their curriculum.

I think that Christianity will adjust to allow same sex marriage and the people who are against it will be seen as ignorant or backwards. People will wonder how anyone would think it was antiChristian for people in love to marry just because they are gay.

I like your optimism but since it seems like a lot of "Christians" are judgmental as all get out, don't see it being the majority.

Archived