IGNORED

Orphan Fever: The Evangelical Movement's Adoption Obsession

Gingi1976

I'm mainly a lurker, and a realtively new one at that. But I found myself at they airport today with some time to kill. Wandered over to the newsstand, picked up a copy of the June issue of Mother Jones magazine and found this:

Orphan Fever: The Evangelical Movement's Adoption Obsession

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... on-liberia

It's a very interesting read and I am curious to hear what additional insight others may have.

(Apologies in advance if this was posted elsewhere. I searched and didn't see it)

Both of my parents are adopted (my dad internationally and my mom domestically) and it REALLY freaks me out to think that I could have been born into that lifestyle.

As it is, both of my parents have some mental health issues arising from their early childhoods, but I would seriously take that ANY day over being trapped in fundiedom. At least I had a chance.

Seriously read Kathryn Joyce's book "The Child Catchers". It's a very interesting but rather horrible read. It has totally changed my thoughts about international adoption.

"From my article in Above Rubies about the children in Liberia there must have been up to a thousand children adopted," Campbell informed me in an email, "and most have been a blessing."

Funny, I thought ALL children were blessings.

Archived