IGNORED

Pregnancy from rape is super-magical-sparkly-unicorn-RARE!!!

Cannelle

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/12/a ... -very-low/

Please, Rep. Franks, please mansplain how women's bodies work! All us little women inhabiting those bodies just can't figure it out!

Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) was criticized by congressional colleagues on Wednesday after arguing that pregnancies resulting from rape rarely occur, the Washington Post reported.

“When my friends on the left side of the aisle here tried to make rape and incest the subject — because, you know, the incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low,†Franks said during a House Judiciary Committee debate on his measure that would ban abortions after 20 weeks. “But when you make that exception, there’s usually a requirement to report the rape within 48 hours. And in this case that’s impossible because this is in the sixth month of gestation. And that’s what completely negates and vitiates the purpose for such an amendment.â€

Democrats on the committee immediately pointed out the similarities between Franks’ statement and failed senatorial candidate Todd Akin’s August 2012 statement that women don’t get pregnant from “legitimate rape.â€

“I just find it astonishing to hear a phrase repeated that the incidence of pregnancy from rape is low,†Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) said in response. “There’s no scientific basis for that. And the idea that the Republican men on this committee can tell the women of America that they have to carry to term the product of a rape is outrageous.â€

But as the Post and Think Progress reported, several studies have found that not only do sexual assaults result in higher instances of unintended pregnancies, 32.4 percent of victims do not learn of their pregnancy until their second trimester, which would exceed Franks’ 20-week limit.

An all-male Judiciary subcommittee voted 6-4 on June 4 to approve Franks’ bill, an expansion of a measure that originally covered the District of Columbia.

Not breaking the link because it's rawstory.

And what, if you can't bring yourself to report the rape within 48 hours, or you're too traumatized or ashamed or AFRAID, what, it didn't happen? Fuck these shitbags. PUKE.

We need to start making up our own facts, I think. How about, rape won't result in pregnancy if you cut off the gonads of a male senator from AZ? It's true. I read it on teh internets.

I am awaiting with baited breath the day they are able to transfer a fetus from a woman who does not want to be pregnant to a male pro-lifer (against his will). I'm guessing the rhetoric will change.

Why do so few (1/3) raped women not know they are pregnant until 6 months? This is an odd statistic.

I thought one of the purposes of the "rape" contingency is so that hospitals will be free to give out "Plan B" to anyone who asks without fearing repercussions.

I really really want old Republican men to shut the f*ck up about their vast rape knowledge. I'm fed up hearing from them.

We need to start making up our own facts, I think. How about, rape won't result in pregnancy if you cut off the gonads of a male senator from AZ? It's true. I read it on teh internets.

I am awaiting with baited breath the day they are able to transfer a fetus from a woman who does not want to be pregnant to a male pro-lifer (against his will). I'm guessing the rhetoric will change.

I read a book by Sherri Teppler that is about just that.http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/she ... d-fall.htm

Can science make a man pregnant? Could a prosthetic uterus be put into place, the man be injected with the right hormones, etc.... carry a baby to term and then have a Csection to deliver?

I am not very sciency so I really am curious if it could be done.

But if it can dont tell Michelle Dugger. She. will want a new uterus

Dear GOP,

THIS IS WHY YOU'RE FALLING APART.

How have they not learned anything yet???

I agree! They just can't seem to figure it out.

They really should have listened to the guy who said that the republican party needed to stop being the stupid party.

You know what actually IS super low? The incidence of abortion being performed past 20 weeks. It's difficult to quantify how often rape results in pregnancy, but I found some study results that indicate it's around 5% of the time. That doesn't even include spousal rape or rape within a domestic relationship. Meanwhile, the number of abortions performed past 20 weeks is only around 1%.

By his own stupid reasoning, if we don't care about pregnancy resulting from rape, we certainly shouldn't care about abortion being performed past 20 weeks. Yet that was the whole point of his speech. Logic, how does it work? :roll:

You know what actually IS super low? The incidence of abortion being performed past 20 weeks. It's difficult to quantify how often rape results in pregnancy, but I found some study results that indicate it's around 5% of the time. That doesn't even include spousal rape or rape within a domestic relationship. Meanwhile, the number of abortions performed past 20 weeks is only around 1%.

By his own stupid reasoning, if we don't care about pregnancy resulting from rape, we certainly shouldn't care about abortion being performed past 20 weeks. Yet that was the whole point of his speech. Logic, how does it work? :roll:

:text-yeahthat:

A state Senator from Wisconsin gave this powerful speech when they were debating a forced ultrasound bill. She gave the statistic that 1 in 6 American women will face either an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime. I'll try to find the link on youtube to her speech later, but for now, you can watch it on this diary on Daily Kos:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/1 ... d-of-women

I read a book by Sherri Teppler that is about just that.http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/she ... d-fall.htm

SNAP!

It's an awesome storyline. A confederation of aliens contacts earth because some baddie aliens want to attack us. But while the peaceful diplomat aliens (who look like giant wasps) are here they have a crisis. They are at the point in their breeding cycle when they must implant their eggs into a warm blooded creature, where they'll gestate until they're ready to gnaw their way out (unanaesthetised, because drugs are bad for the larvae) and without their traditional animal to use, humans are the closest thing. But, being kind hearted diplomats they are keen not to cause distress to anyone and carefully choose the most vocal forced-birth/prolife advocates to provide the service. From memory, when the main character is told of the plan she dies laughing.

Can science make a man pregnant? Could a prosthetic uterus be put into place, the man be injected with the right hormones, etc.... carry a baby to term and then have a Csection to deliver?

I am not very sciency so I really am curious if it could be done.

But if it can dont tell Michelle Dugger. She. will want a new uterus

No, we don't even vaguely understand how the female immune system is damped down enough to carry a pregnancy, let alone induce it articfically. And the placenta is complex, too.

No, we don't even vaguely understand how the female immune system is damped down enough to carry a pregnancy, let alone induce it articfically. And the placenta is complex, too.

Thanks! Wouldnt that make an interesting book though?

Agree on the assholism of Republicans, but also, the whole "rape exception" debate makes me sick, and to me it proves that banning abortion except in the case of rape has nothing to do with being "pro-life" (come on, a fetus either is a person or it isn't), but about controlling women and punishing women for being sexual. A woman who was raped shouldn't be forced to bear a child, but a woman who had consensual sex should? So an unterminated pregnancy isn't the blessing of a gift of life, but rather a punishment for a woman who dares to have non-state/god-sanctioned sex. What's next--women who get HIV from a rape can get treated but those who get it from consensual sex don't deserve it?

By the way, I am one of those apparently incredibly rare women who became pregnant from a rape. I also became pregnant from a consenual, but noncommitted, relationship. IMHO, how I chose to handle those events should have been no one else's business, and certainly not the goverment's business, and it shouldn't be anyone's business how any other woman chooses to handle her pregnancy, regardless of how it came about.

Archived