IGNORED

Immodest Coke promotion causes stir in Israel.

Sumeri

So Pepsi is made with fetuses (according to some of the fundies), and Coca Cola with a woman's name is an occasion of sin (according to other fundies, and pardon the mixed metaphors). For shit like this these guys are called pastors, teachers, and sages. :evil-eye:

Personally, I'm surprised they haven't caught on to the fact that glass Coke and Pepsi bottles could be considered abstract representations of women's bodies. Maybe that's next.....

Seeing a woman's name might cause lust? Are you fucking kidding me? I knew some of the haredim took these things to absurd lengths, but I had no idea they took it that far. I think the [link=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/israel-new-modesty-glasses-orthodox-jewish-men-blur-women-line-sight-article-1.1133397]blurry glasses[/link] are a great idea. They could take it farther and just blindfold all men--they wouldn't ever have to see anything that reminds them of a woman, and everyone else could do as they please. Perhaps earplugs as well, so they can't hear anyone say anything about women either?

I liked this comment:

I am waiting for a youtube video that employs coke bottles with patriarch and matriarch names that act out the weekly parshat’s from Bereshit/Genesis

First there was the Lego Bible, now . . . the Coke bottle Bible! :lol:

How do these guys study? The bottle in front, in the picture, has the name "Rachel" on it -- don't they read about her in the Torah?

Seeing a woman's name might cause lust? Are you fucking kidding me? I knew some of the haredim took these things to absurd lengths, but I had no idea they took it that far. I think the [link=http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/israel-new-modesty-glasses-orthodox-jewish-men-blur-women-line-sight-article-1.1133397]blurry glasses[/link] are a great idea. They could take it farther and just blindfold all men--they wouldn't ever have to see anything that reminds them of a woman, and everyone else could do as they please. Perhaps earplugs as well, so they can't hear anyone say anything about women either?

Well, they could take things a bit further and get a pail of lye and blind themselves the way the way Asa Hawks did in Flannery O'Conner's novel Wise Blood He was a preacher who did it to separate himself from the world. Of course, it didn't quite work for Asa, but it did for Haze Motes.

edited for riffle

Why don't they go live in all-male segregated places, you know, like monasteries?

Probably because they are Jewish. Just a guess though!

And a lot, if not all, of them do. They are called Yeshivas.

Personally, I'm surprised they haven't caught on to the fact that glass Coke and Pepsi bottles could be considered abstract representations of women's bodies. Maybe that's next.....

lol, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture!

Good thing they came up with a fix for the names, though. :roll:

Seriously? Thats crazy-how can seeing a womans name be immodest? Its not like anyones going to say "Oohhh what a sexy name" and drop their pants and start masturbating in the street.

I think what these people want is for women to be kept indoors in cages and never talked about.

Remember, these are the same types who edited Hillary Clinton out of the photos of the Bin Laden raid so they could publish it in their newspapers without men having to see a picture of a woman...

It must be so incredibly stressful to be constantly vigilant of anything remotely feminine. I wonder how many guys in yeshivas experiment with other boys?

Probably because they are Jewish. Just a guess though!

And a lot, if not all, of them do. They are called Yeshivas.

I know, but if you're so terrified of lust the only solution is to remove yourself from any contacts with females whatsoever. As in, cloystering yourself, like those monks in Greece that supposedly don't even allow female cats on their islands...

Seriously? Thats crazy-how can seeing a womans name be immodest? Its not like anyones going to say "Oohhh what a sexy name" and drop their pants and start masturbating in the street.

But apparently that's just what these people would do.

Remember, these are the same types who edited Hillary Clinton out of the photos of the Bin Laden raid so they could publish it in their newspapers without men having to see a picture of a woman...

Also, it prevents women in the community from having a different sort of "immodest" thought from seeing a powerful woman in her proper place - making history side by side with the men.

So, it's a twofer.

I know, but if you're so terrified of lust the only solution is to remove yourself from any contacts with females whatsoever. As in, cloystering yourself, like those monks in Greece that supposedly don't even allow female cats on their islands...

Not supposedly, absolutely true. The monks of Mt Athos can compete toe to toe on religious, misogynistic :cray-cray: at the Olympic level. They at least segregate themselves out of the marriage pool. God be praised.

Arete Jo, thanks for sharing that. Of course, I went to wikipedia to look up Mt Athos and learned what a skete was. I'd heard of the Monks of New Skete in New York and their work with German Shepherds. I'd forgotten that they were Orthodox. My daughter and her husband love their work with the Sheps. Maybe they should get the monks to offer a few prayers for their oldest German shepherd who was just diagnosed with lymphoma. It couldn't hurt.

This makes SO much more sense than virtually entombing women. I mean, if the guys' eyes and ears are causing them to sin, get rid of - or hobble severely - the powers of the eyes and ears to see and hear the unclean.

Of course neither one should happen. WE should teach our young from little on up that bodily functions are just a fact of life and that respect is non-negotiable.

Archived