IGNORED

Patrick Stewart Is The Most Awesome Man On The Planet

debrand

I saw this not too long ago - and was very moved by his comments. The way he describes his childhood is chilling, especially when he talks about how everyone knew what was going on - the neighbors, the police, etc., yet felt it was not appropriate to "interfere." When he talked about not allowing himself to tap into rage, even in acting, for fear that he would lose control - I mean, wow.

Dear Fundies,

THAT'S what being a man is all about. It's not about control, it's not about intimidation, it's not make-believe adventures, it's not about living in a past that never happened, it's not about squashing curiousity, individuality and critical thinking, it's not about manly man posturing. It's about being a decent human being, truly caring about others and giving them a voice, of offering help when and where's it most needed WITHOUT ANY AGENDA.

This should be required viewing for every single fundie.

This video has been floating around my Facebook and I am so glad a lot of people are able to see it. He is a great actor and now I have even more respect for him.

Love him. There's also a picture out there of him wearing a "this is what a feminist looks like" shirt. :romance-heartsthree:

Great video. The original speech to which she refers is also on that site:

http://www.upworthy.com/his-dad-beat-hi ... now-6?c=ie

I've always liked his acting -- it's nice to know he is also a mensch.

[geek]And it may explain why he was so good at portraying a man who had been deeply traumatized, in the Borg and post-Borg episodes and the film that carried through that storyline.[/geek]

I've long been a Patrick Stewart fan, back from the STNG days. That video made me tear up...and I don't cry easily. As said before, now THAT is what being a man is about. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Everyone should watch the British version Who Do You Think You Are? episode where Patrick Stewart researches his father's life (this is where he discovers his father had PTSD). It's probably the best episode of WDYTYA.

Anyways, I had no idea he was a self described feminist and active with domestic violence victim's charities...it was a nice surprise to find on FJ today :D

I agree with everyone who says this is what a strong man looks like. A man who is kind, compassionate, and secure in himself should have no need to keep women down. Misogyny and homophobia often have, in my opinion, deep roots in insecurity and fear.

Showing my oldz here but I've had a crush on him since STNG. I could listen to him read the phone book. And the fact that he is just a damn fine human being just adds to the attraction.

This needs to be made into a public service announcement. I can just hear him saying " no more domestic violence. Make it so."

He is the most awesome man in the Solar System. I think I'd have to consider leaving my husband if I could live on the Holodeck with just his holographic image.

Showing my oldz here but I've had a crush on him since STNG. I could listen to him read the phone book. And the fact that he is just a damn fine human being just adds to the attraction.

This needs to be made into a public service announcement. I can just hear him saying " no more domestic violence. Make it so."

My first reaction to reading the topic line for this was "Well, of course he is. Duh" I'll join you when he tours with the phone book - he should definitely do audiobooks, he's got the voice for it. I've got a CD of him doing A Christmas Carol, which is also awesome.

He's got a good sense of humor too. Youtube appears to have most of the Graham Norton Show episode with him and Liam Neeson, which was priceless, but the best part may have been the battle of the action figures.

5EQ0uVtmw2M

He and Liam could take turns reading the phone book. I'd buy a ticket.

The first thing I remember seeing Patrick Stewart in was Excalibur (Liam Neeson too!) and I was impressed enough to look him up, not an easy thing in pre-interwebz 1981. I was thrilled when I found out he was doing STTNG. If you only judged him by that role it would be easy to think he was a stodgy humorless prig but that's sooooo wrong. He's just a fine, fine man no matter how you look at it. And dead sexy too.

ETA Great bit from Graham Norton! Patrick, Liam AND Alan Davies!

I saw this on my facebook and just knew I'd find this on FJ at some point. I suggest we make Patrick Stewart one of our patron saints, the man is just so amazing. Now I have to watch that episode where he finds out his father has PTSD.

....also, I loved him on STNG. I had a teacher just like him, as well- the guy saved my life, so I have a somehow weird paternal thing for Patrick Stewart. I wish I could hear his voice. Maybe i really should get my hearing aid repaired soon.....

Aaaannd...Patrick Stewart talking for 5 minutes does more to protect women from violence than Dougie's entire women-and-children-first fest.

Something to think about.

ETA Great bit from Graham Norton! Patrick, Liam AND Alan Davies!

Watch the whole episode if you get a chance. Sir Patrick talks about being knighted, and being bald, and then there's the traveling Beavis & Butthead thing with Liam & Patrick. I laughed for most of the hour, and if it's on again, I need to Tivo it again (had to delete to make room, I'm a Tivo-hoarder or something).

I saw this on my facebook and just knew I'd find this on FJ at some point. I suggest we make Patrick Stewart one of our patron saints, the man is just so amazing. Now I have to watch that episode where he finds out his father has PTSD.

....also, I loved him on STNG. I had a teacher just like him, as well- the guy saved my life, so I have a somehow weird paternal thing for Patrick Stewart. I wish I could hear his voice. Maybe i really should get my hearing aid repaired soon.....

Yes, he should absolutely be one of our patron saints! He's raised awesome kids, too: here's a link to Sir Patrick and his son Daniel on the Nerdist podcast from a while back (I might have to re-listen to it, but I remember it as friggin' awesome):

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/09/nerdist- ... k-stewart/

I really really love his talk about his abusive father's "shell shock". There is never an excuse to abuse someone else, but there are things we can do to encourage people to not abuse other. And by helping men and with PTSD, we can help women. This is what feminism is about. We want to get rid of the stigma of being unmanly for having PTSD so men can get the help they need, and it's the feminists who are doing that, not the misogynists. This where the MRAs get it so completely wrong. And we need to keep working to get rid of mental illness stigma in general. This is what intersetcionality is all about.

Love him, love him, LOVE HIM. THAT is a real man.

My parents saw him do his solo performance of A Christmas Carol on stage in London in 1994. My father, who is really hard to please when it comes to plays and film, maintains it was the most amazing, astounding acting performance he's ever seen. Just unreal. He did the ENTIRE PLAY, with himself and a chair. No scenery. No nothing.

If any of you saw "I, Claudius" in the late 70s. Sir Patrick was in it, playing the Emperor Tiberius' ambitious second in command, Sejanus. That was my first glimpse of him.

If any of you saw "I, Claudius" in the late 70s. Sir Patrick was in it, playing the Emperor Tiberius' ambitious second in command, Sejanus. That was my first glimpse of him.

My PBS station recently showed that series again, and he was great in it.

As for this topic, it's no surprise that he got knighted, as to me, he's an example of the ideal of chivalry. I also think he should be one of our Patron Saints.

Archived