IGNORED

Apologies to the Republic of the Union of Myanmar

debrand

Vision Forum is sending a group to Burma. Their goals are a bit sketchy.

handmaidensofheaven.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2013-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2014-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=7

This year, the Hazardous Journeys Society is launching a ten-year mission, sending teams of men to each of the 190+ countries in the world in order to proclaim the glory of God through exploration and discovery. Our team leader, Kurtis Amundson, has been commissioned by the Hazardous Journeys Society to undertake an expedition to Burma this July.

I'm pretty certain that Burma has been discovered and explored.

In addition to chronicling the Christian influence in Burma, we want to present a proper and Biblical understanding of Buddhism. Buddhism is practiced by 89% of the Burmese population. Burma is a nation steeped in idolatry. With thousands of pagodas, stupas, and statues scattered over the landscape, the nation is recognized as the most religious Buddhist country in the world in terms of the proportion of monks in the population and proportion of income spent on religion. Our team will seek to examine the comprehensive effect that Buddhism has on the Burmese culture, investigating how every realm of influence—familial, ecclesiastical, civil, and personal—is affected by their pagan and idolatrous worldview.

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be an unbiased study

As a team, we will live in simple bamboo houses, and travel to the ruins of the ancient capital city of Bagan. We will travel throughout Burma and step foot into the Buddhist culture, learning first-hand the influences of the Buddhist religion on every sphere of life.

No fair, I want to go. Seriously, I'd love to travel.

The Hazardous Journeys Society is a project of Vision Forum Ministries, a 501©(3) non-profit organization so all gifts are tax-deductible. Donations can be made through the Vision Forum Ministries website for our Burma Expeditions by follow the link below.

What are they doing that should give this vacation non profit status?

expeditiontoburma.com/#team

Here is the site for the fun vacation expedition. There are no women in their group. Maybe the site of a bamboo house is too much for a Vision Forum lady. Seriously, they can't even pretend that this is dangerous so why not send a couple of women too?

I'd love to go to Burma too, but many human rights groups recommend that you not travel there and support the current regime. It's a complicated issue.

Somehow I bet those Buddhists are more christian then duggie the tool is. Hey lets go to another country and make fun of their beliefs How christian of them.

Oh bah. I've been to mynmar several times. [bEST DESTINATION IN SEAsia. Hands down turn around x 5000]

"the ancient capital of bagan" is a tourist site. there is nothing hazardous about visiting.

Not.

One.

Thing.

The tourist sites are so easy to access. and from their images (and heck, look at em) they are only going to the tourist sites not pushing up and out to the bangladesh or china boarder areas.

And if they're profaning Shwedagon Pagoda with their idiocy, that's a tragedy. That's the most magical place I've ever been. Ever. It's a religious centre that's alive. Living, breathing, community gathering place, alive. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Rachel - yep, and everyone makes their own decision. But see also: many central american states; iran, central asia etc... even the us detains children without trial (guantanamo) and so on. i think mynmar gets a much worse rap than most places (and the gubment is bad, no q) when really we should be applying the same critical decision making to every travel decision we make.

Do these maroobs have any clue what they are talking about? Hell five minutes of armchair internet research will educate most people enough so that they don't make the idiotic mistake of calling Buddhism a pagan religion!

It is interesting they are going to see how Buddhism pervades every aspect of their life. Yo, tool boy, that is what Free Jinger is doing to you and your icky ilk- seeing how you use Xtianity as your personal weapon against females and other marginalized populations.

and visit the garishly exorbitant Schwadegon Pagoda.

Oh dear lord. Have mercy.

That pagoda is magnificent. Just incredible.

The skydog should be horrified these twits are his emissaries. Insulting the destination before you get there isn't going to endear you to anyone.

And how does this organisation maintain its 501 status? it seems to have evolved into little more than a tour company. gah

I live really near to Burma. I've been to Burma by boat (Golden Triangle trip). These people can stay the fuck wherever they are. Srsly, Burma does not need the kind of "help" these folks can offer.

Can we at FJ get on this travel/nonprofit thing? We could discover and write how women are treated in different countries. Heck, we could actually try to find some positive things to do in other countries.

I live really near to Burma. I've been to Burma by boat (Golden Triangle trip). These people can stay the fuck wherever they are. Srsly, Burma does not need the kind of "help" these folks can offer.

Really? I know where I'm going on my next vakay! Lol :lol:

Quite an experience. It's an entirely different world even though they are catching up with the Western world.

Archived