IGNORED

Odd Fundie Post - Overreaction to a Phone Call

debrand

I found this particular article depressing but I don't know why. Maybe it is the idea that every thing has to glorify god and the writer can't just enjoy a bit of gossip without feeling guilty.

The other day I was surprised by a phone call, where the caller transferred whatever it was that was going on with them onto me and I wasn't ready for it, I was completely blindsided and I actually felt pretty yuk for the rest of the day, it wasn't personal it was just with such negative force that I was bowled over.

I've had negative people in my life so perhaps this is what happened; however, fundies sometimes feel guilty over odd things so it is hard to say. She said it wasn't personal so maybe the caller just told her a bit of odd gossip.

I was shaking from this phone call and it interfered with my normal day to day activities, it was because I was not on guard, I don't mean fearfully on guard but it happened so quick that I didn't have time to rebuke it, and then I had to actively try and let it go all day through prayer, it was sticky. I really don't know why I held on to it, possibly habit.

Maybe I am insensitive but I can't imagine what would cause this type of reaction but not be personal?

And through old habit and some lingering immaturity, I then passed it onto Scott by telling him what happened and how I let it infiltrate my whole day, which unfortunately soured his afternoon, again it had nothing to do with us, but negativity filled our home and our conversation and our hearts were not pleasing to God

Again, what could cause both her and her husband such a negative reaction? She said that she asked Scott and god for forgiveness for sharing her 'sin' with him. Apparently, sharing that she felt uncomfortable and out of sorts is a sin

Fundies make their lives sound very narrow and depressing.

She has another post in which she write:

During the week at homegroup we were gathered together for prayer after our study, and our Pastor was leading our group. He said something when he was praying over me, he prayed to the Lord to help me be at peace, he said he felt like my mind was tumbling around as if it were in a washing machine.

The writer sounds so sad.

I try not to be evangelical but it sounds as if this poster would be much happier if she wasn't any religion. Maybe she suffers from depression and the emphasis on being happy is making her deny symptoms that a doctor could treat.

She used to be into New Age stuff. She writes:

I have not spoken to the people involved since then, out of embarrassment probably, I was a bit of wretch, I genuinely thought I was a good person and was quite shocked to find I wasn't seen that way. I am not a horrible person and I never set out to hurt anyone, but it inevitably happens when sin is let run wild, people implode on each other that is the law of this fallen world.

She has difficulty even seeing her former friends pass by in cars. Just seeing a girl who looked like one of the women who used to practice whatever new age stuff she was into sends her in to this:

I don't know what happened but my feelings went into complete meltdown, and even when I found that it wasn't even one of them, it took a while to calm down, it was a big shock to my body and flung me straight into prayer mode.... Lord guide me, comfort me, give me the right words and heart attitude... at least I have stepped up from guilt/anger mode, I love progress, that is life a sanctification progress.

This is an extreme reaction.

Her faith doesn't seem to bring her any peace.

I was raised Jewish and always thought that Jews were the most guilt-ridden of all religions. I thought that Christians were the lucky ones who got absolved of all theirs. I thought that they were lucky that school was closed on their holidays and did not cout as an absence. Learning about the actual teachings proved me so mistaken. Christianity has to be the most guit-ridden of all. Every negative emotion is interptreted as some sort of proof that they are not saved enough and they need to start over. There is no room for legitimate hurt feelings or bout of depression.

I was raised Jewish and always thought that Jews were the most guilt-ridden of all religions. I thought that Christians were the lucky ones who got absolved of all theirs. I thought that they were lucky that school was closed on their holidays and did not cout as an absence. Learning about the actual teachings proved me so mistaken. Christianity has to be the most guit-ridden of all. Every negative emotion is interptreted as some sort of proof that they are not saved enough and they need to start over. There is no room for legitimate hurt feelings or bout of depression.

A lot of people think that the concept of saved by grace and not works is freeing. I never found it so mainly for the reasons that you mentioned. What is worse is that questioning whether your salvation was real was a sign that it wasn't real.

Totally depends on what brand of Christianity you're involved in, but for fundamentalist Christians, yeah, this is absolutely accurate.

Archived