crazyforkate

Though there have been several film/television versions of this play (and I was lucky enough to catch Christopher Plummer and Brian Dennehy's production on Broadway in 2007), I think that most people are likely to be familiar with the 1961 Stanley Kramer film starring Spencer Tracy and Fredric March. The characters have different names and many details were streamlined or fictionalized, but it is in essence the story of the Scopes Monkey Trial. The teacher goes on trial, the fancy lawyer comes to town, all the religious folks freak out. It's scary in many ways, but overall a fascinating play/film. And of course, there's a lot of interest for us heathens at FJ! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that particular movie.

For those of you who have seen it - it's scary to imagine that what happened in the 1920's has hardly changed now. It takes place in Tennessee, which is still sketchy on the issue. There are states and school districts that still grapple with the issue - and even though the terminology has changed, the essential argument has. It occurred to me today (my dad was watching it) that if you put everyone in modern clothes, you could stage a production and barely have to change a word. Just make the characters resemble some of the pundits we know and loathe and it could be fascinating.

How sad that in some places this issue has barely evolved (heh) over nearly a century.

It occurred to me today (my dad was watching it) that if you put everyone in modern clothes, you could stage a production and barely have to change a word. Just make the characters resemble some of the pundits we know and loathe and it could be fascinating.

The cross examination of Frederic March by Spencer Tracey in this film is still one of the most dramatic and best I've seen in a movie.

Your premise got me thinking about it, and here's a partial list I came up with:

Henry Drummond (based on Clarence Darrow) : Alan Dershowitz

Matthew Harrison Brady (based on William Jennings Bryant) : Mike Huckabee

E.K. Hornbeek (cynical reporter): Change to a woman -- Nancy Grace

Rev. Jeremiah Brown: Rush Limbaugh (I know, I know, not a minister but neither is this ass clown really)

How about one of our favourite fundies as the minister? I'm sure we could find a few. Have at it, FJ.

The cross examination of Frederic March by Spencer Tracey in this film is still one of the most dramatic and best I've seen in a movie.

Your premise got me thinking about it, and here's a partial list I came up with:

Henry Drummond (based on Clarence Darrow) : Alan Dershowitz

Matthew Harrison Brady (based on William Jennings Bryant) : Mike Huckabee

E.K. Hornbeek (cynical reporter): Change to a woman -- Nancy Grace

Rev. Jeremiah Brown: Rush Limbaugh (I know, I know, not a minister but neither is this ass clown really)

Those are SO good! Just to switch it up a bit- I would like to see Drummond/Darrow as: Roberta Kaplan. It would be nice to see a woman in the role I think! (Kaplan is/was the attorney for the DOMA case with representing Edie Windsor.) And Glenn Beck would make an excellent person for any of the asshat idiot buffoon roles!

If we were talking about real actors, I would have loved to have seen Sidney Poitier in his prime as Drummond/Darrow. He took my breath away in Separate but Equal.

The Simpsons did do an episode based on this with a woman in the Darrow role. It wasn't very good, however.

It's amazing how so many classics still hold up and have very current themes. I rented "A Face in the Crowd" starring Andy Griffith a while back. It's amazing how this movie seemed to predict our addiction to celebrity pundits and media-created "heroes." I highly recommend it. Here is my review:

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2010 ... -1957.html

• 1 month later...

Because dammit, sometimes we need to be reminded.

-TObzZWVDHU

Archived