IGNORED

Andrea Yates Story on Biography

greek_chorus

It may sound terrible, but if Andrea Yates wants to commit suicide, and she's medicated and in a stable mental state, jeez let the poor woman. I can't even begin to imagine the load of guilt and pain she carries, will always carry.

I disagree: Enough life has already been wasted. Andrea Yates can still do something; be something. Nothing can change the past, but if Andrea Yates can find a way to better the world around her, then she can still alter the future for good even despite the evil she has done.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are times when I have serious fears about something similar happening to a family member. She has far too many children (more than she can handle) and a worthless husband who cares only about how manly it makes him appear to have fathered so many offspring. She was, and continues to be, severely depressed after the birth of her 3rd or 4th child, but still continues to have a baby once a year. She refuses to see any counselors because her husband thinks that depression is "fake' and no one should ever take any medication for any reason.

My blood pressure is going up just thinking about this.

Why the Harris County District Attorney's Office never filed Child Endangerment charges against Rusty baffles me and infuriates me. :angry-banghead:

Would you ever hire someone who was as mentally ill and violent as Andrea to watch your children?

No, of course, not because that constitutes child endangerment. Harris Co. was just a bunch of cowards for not going

after Rusty. A prosecution of Rusty would have sent a powerful message that you just can't leave your children with a mentally unstable person and hope for the best because you can't be bothered to help out with child care. His behavior wasn't just reprehensible, it was criminal.

Just wondering, that aside from the many bad decisions made surrounding Andrea's treatment that were influenced by QF beliefs, was there any situation prior to the murders that showed the kids were endangered that's on the official record? Like CPS being called for example? If not, maybe that might be why they didn't go after Rusty. Without something officially documented, there may have been no legal basis to go after him for endangerment? Not trying to defend him here but just wondering if a technicality played into this.

Rusty did strike me as being rather baffled and oblivious but he probably never envisioned in a million years that his own wife would do this to his kids, in spite of her problems.

This is such a sad situation that seriously fell through the cracks in so many ways.

Just wondering, that aside from the many bad decisions made surrounding Andrea's treatment that were influenced by QF beliefs, was there any situation prior to the murders that showed the kids were endangered that's on the official record? Like CPS being called for example? If not, maybe that might be why they didn't go after Rusty. Without something officially documented, there may have been no legal basis to go after him for endangerment? Not trying to defend him here but just wondering if a technicality played into this.

Rusty did strike me as being rather baffled and oblivious but he probably never envisioned in a million years that his own wife would do this to his kids, in spite of her problems.

This is such a sad situation that seriously fell through the cracks in so many ways.

I'd say being hospitalized twice for suicide attempts, once after the birth of her fourth son and again after the birth of her daughter are pretty damning. You don't have to have CPS called on you to be charged with child endangerment. Rusty knew Andrea was advised not to have more children. Here's a link to the timeline. I think there was sufficient evidence that Rusty was negligent.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Yates ... 609652.php

From the first day I saw this on the news and started reading everything I could about it, it was crystal clear in my mind that Rusty Yates killed those children, not Andrea.

He ignored everything he was told by the professionals to keep Andrea safe. He discouraged her meds, let her be discharged from the hospital, and most important the asshole got her pregnant. He should have kept his dick in his pants. I said at the time that he used his dick as a deadly weapon and it should get the death penalty.

What I learned too that was incredibly horrifying is that the state of Texas could give two shits if you are mentally ill. If you can state that you know what you did was wrong (illegal) you are fit to stand trial. Andrea Yates met the states definition of able to stand trial. They took nothing else into consideration. Disgusting!!!!

My mother and I spent many a day outraged at Rusty Yates smug little self and the Texas legal system.

I'd say being hospitalized twice for suicide attempts, once after the birth of her fourth son and again after the birth of her daughter are pretty damning. You don't have to have CPS called on you to be charged with child endangerment. Rusty knew Andrea was advised not to have more children. Here's a link to the timeline. I think there was sufficient evidence that Rusty was negligent.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Yates ... 609652.php

Thanks much for link! I followed the story when the murders first occurred (probably followed the Chronicle articles) but it's been awhile and couldn't remember all the facts. FTR, can't believe all the bad decisions and refusal to take Andrea's illness more seriously so was wondering what prevented authorities from charging Rusty.

I disagree: Enough life has already been wasted. Andrea Yates can still do something; be something. Nothing can change the past, but if Andrea Yates can find a way to better the world around her, then she can still alter the future for good even despite the evil she has done.

I see your point, it would be great if she found a way to do something meaningful or found a way to make herself happier; but I also believe more strongly that she should have agency over her choice to live or not. Just my personal belief.

I see your point, it would be great if she found a way to do something meaningful or found a way to make herself happier; but I also believe more strongly that she should have agency over her choice to live or not. Just my personal belief.

While I hope Andrea can find some degree of peace so she make a better and happier life for herself, I do agree that she has some agency over whether she wants to live or not. It's her own personal choice to make.

From the first day I saw this on the news and started reading everything I could about it, it was crystal clear in my mind that Rusty Yates killed those children, not Andrea.

He ignored everything he was told by the professionals to keep Andrea safe. He discouraged her meds, let her be discharged from the hospital, and most important the asshole got her pregnant. He should have kept his dick in his pants. I said at the time that he used his dick as a deadly weapon and it should get the death penalty.

What I learned too that was incredibly horrifying is that the state of Texas could give two shits if you are mentally ill. If you can state that you know what you did was wrong (illegal) you are fit to stand trial. Andrea Yates met the states definition of able to stand trial. They took nothing else into consideration. Disgusting!!!!

My mother and I spent many a day outraged at Rusty Yates smug little self and the Texas legal system.

The way Andrea's obvious mental illness was seemingly ignored by the Texas legal system is appalling to me. Even a layperson reading the psychological interviews realizes that the woman is ILL, yet Texas was willing to take her at her word that she knew what she was doing when she killed those kids.

Also, I often think about what the popular attitudes would be if the situation were reversed; that is, if Rusty were the one who was mentally ill and had killed their children. I am pretty sure that people would have absolutely crucified Andrea for a) having children with him and b) leaving them in his care, all while sympathizing with Rusty. In the opposite situation, I also think that Andrea would face heavy criticism for divorcing him, yet Rusty is praised in some circles for being able to "move on with his life." It's a ridiculous double standard.

One of the most disheartening things to me was the public response when this happened. I saw scores of comments online, from otherwise smart and caring individuals, who considered Andrea the devil incarnate. And this was after the details came out about her psychosis.

I felt like I was on another planet. How could people hear about the major mental illness and not realize that she was out of her mind? But if you expressed any sympathy for Andrea then you must not care about the children.

Argh.

Even if a jury had ultimately returned a NG on Rusty for child endangerment, for the sake of those 5 dead little kids, Harris County D.A.'s Office should have called a Grand Jury and made Rusty appear. They should have subpoened every medical professional that treated Andrea (and believe me, doctors hate that) and all her family and friends. Rusty could have cooled his heals outside the GJ room for two or three weeks while the GJ picked their way through the evidence. Even if a GJ had no-billed him, or a jury ultimately found NG, maybe getting hauled through the system would have made Rusty take that smirk off his face and realize that he was criminally responsible for those deaths. It would have been a good lesson for everyone that you just can't leave your children with anybody with homicidal or violent tendencies or ---guess what---you are responsible too.

She was a high school valedictorian and a former nurse. Fast forward to life as a fundie wife: Living in a trailer, popping out babies, She had to homeschool the kids, while at the same time, care for her father who had Alzheimers. No wonder she feared that her kids wouldn't turn out right. Was she just hard up for a guy?

Archived