IGNORED

Are fundies a type of helicopter parents?

YPestis

I was thinking about that, how we often complain fundies try to control every aspect of their children's lives. They do so in name of "sheltering" and maintaining "purity". Their children can never grow up because mom and dad has to give permission for every decision.

Helicopter parents, from my understanding, are parents who "hover" around their kids. It's usually a term associated with mainstream parents who preoccupy themselves with their kids' schoolwork and, now, job searches. These kids, it is said, are unable to do anything themselves because the parents are always there to take care of them. The helicopter parents are seen as well meaning, rather than deny their kids anything, they try to give them anything they desire. I guess there is that big difference. Fundies DO deny their kids things and try to convince them it's for their own good. However, I wonder if the fundies who isolate their kids in order to protect them are any different than the helicopter parents who, many say, are raising a generation of little children. Thoughts?

I'd always thought helicopter parents tried to mediate outside world's interactions with their children. But, their kids do interact with the outside world. I don't think fundie kiddos gets enough exposure to those outside their fundie sphere for their parents to helicopter.

There are parallels. But helicopter parents typically hover because they're afraid something will happen to their child, not because they're afraid their child will do something wrong.

I think it's a form of helicopter parenting. They just justify it by saying it's Bible based. Which is weird because in the Bible young children and young adults were unsupervised often. Samuel was sent away from home, David etc etc.

Archived