IGNORED

Secret Life of the American Teenager

Little_Eyes

Please tell me I'm not the only fan! I love it and I'm dying to talk about it! My brain's kind of fried right now, but I think that SL is dying to be dissected for subtexts. When I can actually get the backyardigans out my head, I have some theories. But for now, am I the only fan?

NO!! I watch but it's kind of a guilty pleasure that I would never admit to in real life. Oh Brenda Hampton, so so snark worthy. Talk away!

Okay, this is awesome xDreamerx. I'm beginning to think we've got some kind of weird hobby correlation. Anyway, I'm so annoyed with Grace right now. Really. She was so interesting. Her going wild could have been handled sooo much better, I think. I'm glad Amy and Ricky are together, but I think she's going to end up pregnant again. You?

Please tell me that you like SLAT for it's trainwreck factor, not because you actually think it's quality television.

Of course, keeper. It's terrible. Like a train wreck. Awesomely snarkworthy! I'm far too serious, and sometimes, I just have to say act like an idiot. So I watch secret life. But I do think it promotes messages that no one should take at face value. It's like The Office. Watch it so you know what not to do!

Okay, this is awesome xDreamerx. I'm beginning to think we've got some kind of weird hobby correlation. Anyway, I'm so annoyed with Grace right now. Really. She was so interesting. Her going wild could have been handled sooo much better, I think. I'm glad Amy and Ricky are together, but I think she's going to end up pregnant again. You?

Hmm...I think Grace is random. Like I do not understand what motivates her. At all. I like her hair though. Amy used annoy me because she was so whinny and it seemed like she expected everyone to help her. But lately she's really stepped up. I thought the way she dealt with the Carly thing was good. I hope she doesn't. Adrian is so unhinged. She is a boat load of crazy.

Though I have to give Cookies (Hampton) credit for at least showing interracial couples and LGBT relationships. Seventh Heaven was so white except for the one family.

I totally watch SLAT to make fun of it and make fun of the writing. Not because I think it's good :)

I'm glad she's actually showing us LGBT and interracial couples as well, but I have issues with the fact that there are no people with disabilities on the show that are in touch with their sexuality and actually a part of things on the show. I'd love to see someone in a wheelchair gettin some, but that's just me! :-D I sometimes feel like poor Tom is trotted out like the Astor's pet mule for various reasons. I respect him, I do but I think the writers have really short changed him.

I'm glad she's actually showing us LGBT and interracial couples as well, but I have issues with the fact that there are no people with disabilities on the show that are in touch with their sexuality and actually a part of things on the show. I'd love to see someone in a wheelchair gettin some, but that's just me! :-D I sometimes feel like poor Tom is trotted out like the Astor's pet mule for various reasons. I respect him, I do but I think the writers have really short changed him.

This. Times five million + 10 internets.

As a person in a wheelchair (well sometimes, I have crutches too) it pisses me off! It's like C'mon! Most shows who have someone with a disability, have a person who is white, male, and disabled as the result of an accident. I was kind of disappointed when I found out Artie from Glee isn't disabled in real life. I agree with you about Tom...I feel like they kind of treat him like he's disabled? If that makes sense. Or they talk down to him.

This. Times five million + 10 internets.

As a person in a wheelchair (well sometimes, I have crutches too) it pisses me off! It's like C'mon! Most shows who have someone with a disability, have a person who is white, male, and disabled as the result of an accident. I was kind of disappointed when I found out Artie from Glee isn't disabled in real life. I agree with you about Tom...I feel like they kind of treat him like he's disabled? If that makes sense. Or they talk down to him.

Me too. I'm mean, just because I'm in a chair (and a walker, but you get the idea) doesn't mean I'm not normal. Whatever that is.

Artie from Glee upsets me to no end. Heck, in the 80s, Jeri Jewel was actually disabled. So much for progress.They talk down to Tom AND they write him into situations that allow people to patronize and make fun of him! This management job/strange GF issues make me often skip his parts and I saw so much potential originally. I feel they use him as a way to enhance the other characters as in "look! They must be well rounded!" instead of giving him an honest role that actually explores what his life is really like.

I think there should be a honest documentary/TV series (something) about real disabled characters.

I agree! It's cool to "meet" another disabled person online. I don't know very many (in real life or otherwise), or the ones I do know are like weirdly sheltered my their parents and not allowed to make many decisions on their own, so I stopped hanging out with them a long time ago.

At first when I saw Tom I thought, "Yay! A disabled person on TV who isn't fake disabled." But then it went to crap.

I found something on YouTube but I haven't been able to find it in full. Here's the link:

Of course, keeper. It's terrible. Like a train wreck. Awesomely snarkworthy! I'm far too serious, and sometimes, I just have to say act like an idiot. So I watch secret life. But I do think it promotes messages that no one should take at face value. It's like The Office. Watch it so you know what not to do!

Phew!

I agree. I don't know *any* other disabled women. I've met a few in passing but always in as a Hi, nice to meet you way. There's one boy I know, but he's a creepy Facebook stalker who is whiney. He's all "I'm disabled... whine... moan complain" I'm mean, yeah, he's got issues, but the least of them are his "dis"ability. Screw that. I'm just so sick of being around eople who think as people who are disabled a) we must be inspirational or b) we have a get out of jail free card.

Anyway, if my mom tried to tell me what to do... Wait, she knows what would happen, so I don't think she'd tried. I watched part of the link and this girl seems awesome. Wish I were like her.

Edited because I worded something terribly.

I agree. I don't know *any* other disabled women. I've met a few in passing but always in as a Hi, nice to meet you way. There's one boy I know, but he's a creepy Facebook stalker who is whiney. He's all "I'm disabled... whine... moan complain" I'm mean, yeah, he's got issues, but the least of them are his "dis"ability. Screw that. I'm just so sick of being around eople who think as people who are disabled a) we must be inspirational or b) we have a get out of jail free card.

Anyway, if my mom tried to tell me what to do... Wait, she knows what would happen, so I don't think she'd tried. I watched part of the link and this girl seems awesome. Wish I were like her.

Edited because I worded something terribly.

I know right?! It's like you must be a poster child or give up on life entirely. Uh, what if I don't like either of those? I mean, the inspiration thing sounds okay but then it's condescending because it's like, "Oh, you're so inspiring. If someone disabled can do x think of what can I do.". It's like inspiration sugar coating pity, which I don't like. Judge me by the standards of a regular person, expect what you would expect from them. I don't want to be "special". In some things, be realistic. I mean I know I won't run a marathon, but in other areas of my life I want to be held to the same expectation.

If you ever want to PM me we can talk more too :)

This is my guilty pleasure show. I watched through the last season on netflix while Mr INky was working because he HATES the show. I watch it for the bad! Bad acting, writing, everything! It's so bad it's good!

This is my guilty pleasure show. I watched through the last season on netflix while Mr INky was working because he HATES the show. I watch it for the bad! Bad acting, writing, everything! It's so bad it's good!

Right? I loved how in the first season Alice just basically spouted stats? I was like WTF. Then I paused and thought, "Is this stereotyping Asians?"

Were you really worried Keeperrox? :D

After the conversations I've had with a co-worker, yes. And I was getting ready to yell at you. :lol:

I watched the first season but after that I had a hard time following the episodes without getting angry or bored- or both at the same time. :lol:

I sometimes read some recaps, but what I read was nothing worth looking it again.

After the conversations I've had with a co-worker, yes. And I was getting ready to yell at you. :lol:

Don't leave me hanging! Do you mean to tell me that there are grown women who are actually fans of this show?

Don't leave me hanging! Do you mean to tell me that there are grown women who are actually fans of this show?

Oh, just that it gave her a realistic view of what her daughters deal with in high school and how she didn't realize that sex is really all teenagers think and talk about. I about shit myself. I was like, "Yeah, you didn't realize that, because IT'S NOT TRUE." Her daughters are honor roll students and athletes. They talk and think about more than just sex.

Oh, just that it gave her a realistic view of what her daughters deal with in high school and how she didn't realize that sex is really all teenagers think and talk about. I about shit myself. I was like, "Yeah, you didn't realize that, because IT'S NOT TRUE." Her daughters are honor roll students and athletes. They talk and think about more than just sex.

OMG. Does this lady ever, you know, talk to her kids? You think she'd realize that her kids have actual interests and events going on besides sex. Makes me wonder what she was like as a teen. :shock:

Guest Anonymous

Somehow I never noticed today that Madison is the same actress as the girl from Still Standing. HOW ON EARTH is her acting so much worse on SLAT that SS?

Somehow I never noticed today that Madison is the same actress as the girl from Still Standing. HOW ON EARTH is her acting so much worse on SLAT that SS?

I wonder if it's just the writing. I mean, you're bond to be ridiculous talking about sex in every sentence. Who does this? Has anyone ever counted the number of times they say sex in an episode? I once got to 40. Has anyone else noticed the 7th Heaven recycles, Beverly Mitchell and the girl who played Lynn in 7th Heaven is now Lauren. I'm waiting for Staff Sergeant Michaels to show up.

Archived