IGNORED

What Is This Writer Trying To Say? Evil Need to Exist

debrand

A few days ago we discussed a story on CNN by an atheist mom. Although I didn't see anything offensive in the articles, some readers marked it as for being inappropriate.

One of the posters on an atheist facebook page provided a link to someone who responded to the mom. To be honest, I don't know why anyone would respond. The mom wasn't attacking Christianity but was only explaining her point of view. Maybe it is part of the mindset that anything that isn't proChristian is an attack or maybe I'm really biased.

trenthorn.com/2013/01/19/should-we-tell-children-about-god/

I have no idea what this man is trying to say.

1. God is a bad parent and role model.

Good parents don’t allow their children to inflict harm on others. “He has given us free will,†you say? Our children have free will, but we still step in and guide them.

Parents discipline their children, but they don’t reprogram to be mindless, obedient robots. If God eliminates ALL evil his children commit, will any of his children even be left? God loves his children so much that he allows them to exist, even if they disobey him.

Evil should be only applied to extreme acts like child abuse or deliberate torture and murder. Most people aren't evil so why wouldn't there be people left if god eliminated all evil? That doesn't make any sense. The writer is Catholic but Catholics don't view all sins as being evil.

Her argument was the one about evil-that you can have bad in the world, but there's no need for evil.

The guy says:

Eliminating true evil would involve killing most of humanity.

It's better to exist and be/have evil than not.

He obviously believes in a very very loose definition of evil and in a non-omnipotent god, who can't possibly just remove the desire to torture that woman from someone's brain, or cause the serial killer to forget to lock his basement, or a policeman to park by the school at just the right moment l.

He doesn't allow comments, obviously his god is too fragile to allow dissent, so I'll post this here for him to ignore because it's irrefutable.

Why isn't your god powerful enough to cause small incidents (like a policeman turning diwn one street instead of another) or small brain changes to avert evil, but woud just have to kill the people about to commit evil? And a whole lot of people who never commit evil, too, accordng to you. One small fix in Pol Pot's brain would have taxed its omnipotence? Causing Elisabeth Fritzl's father to accidentally leave the basement door unlocked? I don't remove all risk from my children's lives, but I make sure the outcomes will only be mildly bad, not catastrophic.

http://www.trenthorn.com/2013/01/19/sho ... about-god/

Her argument was the one about evil-that you can have bad in the world, but there's no need for evil.

The guy says:

Eliminating true evil would involve killing most of humanity.

It's better to exist and be/have evil than not.

He obviously believes in a very very loose definition of evil and in a non-omnipotent god, who can't possibly just remove the desire to torture that woman from someone's brain, or cause the serial killer to forget to lock his basement, or a policeman to park by the school at just the right moment l.

I think that your explanation might be correct. However, I thought that Catholics believed that sins weren't equal? I thought that mortal sins had to be committed with full knowledge of their wrongness by the individual sinner. So, it should be possible to live your entire life without committing a mortal sin, right? The writer seems to be going against his own church's theology.

The reason that the Christian god gave humans free will was not because he was a super nice creator but because he desired to be loved freely. So, mass murderers are permitted to kill so god can get praise and worship. The entire concept of free will and the reason that it exists has led me to believe that the Christian god suffers from extreme narcissism.

The only defense of Christianity that I can understand is that it gives the believer comfort. If someone finds comfort through attending mass, saying the rosary or believing that they will see their loved ones again, that is understandable. The believer isn't stupid or foolish. However, religion can't be defended logically.

God is still a bad parent and role model. A good parent doesn't sit and watch their child do horrible things without even trying to stop it. And it isnt' like if you follow all the teachings of the Bible you are rewarded. You can be a horrible Christian and still God will reward you.

A good role model doesn't say "Hey, I'm going to make it so people will be raped, tortured, starve, murdered so that I can get praise." A good role model would stop those things if they could and not care about being worshipped.

Archived