IGNORED

Muncks Adding to Quiver?

Belle0000

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oy vey. They may not be quite as bad as the Maxwells, but that's yet another blessing to be homeschooled by Mother "grammar, what's that?" Munck.

At least this child will have fun and be celebrated. I would have loved a hufe family but biology isn't going to let me. And we are not fundie, just like kids.

Interesting. My husband is the oldest with a huge gap between the youngest and himself, and I will say that it will never be done that way in our home. When I first started dating him at 15, I thought that was the prime way of doing things- then all of your older children could babysit/watch the younger and you can do all the fun stuff! How misled I was. It was also the beginning of a slight forced fundie-lite period because his family didn't believe in dating, only courting so tht was also interesting.

Anyway, fast forward 10 years where my youngest in-law is still a preteen and doesn't remember my DH living at home AT ALL (he didn't move out until 20). She also refers to my MIL and FIL as "my mom/dad" when speaking to DH as if she doesn't realize right away that they are his, too. It's also been sad when the rest of us adults (BILs, SILs, MIL, FIL, DH and myself) have regular adult conversation. She is bored, acts out and has been a full on terror. And I can't blame her- ILs are pretty much over raising children, and there is nobody to play with or relate to... It's a little sad.

Edited: ipad riffles.

My mother's husband is 22 years younger than his oldest sibling. They all have great relationships. I guess it just depends.

I had a friend who was something like 10 or more years younger than her siblings, and she was always acting out. Her parents were in their 60s by the time we were in middle school, and she had no supervision. Just as Slt described.

Hopefully the Muncks won't be that way. They do seem to enjoy their family. And at least mama Munck and daughter aren't pregnant at the same time...

You both give me something to think about. My son is getting ready to go to college in the fall and my husband and I are TTC. I had him when I was young and I've always wanted more children but the timing just never worked out sooner.

I really have to remember that TTC = trying to conceive. It always takes me a second of wondering, "Huh? They are tater tot casseroles?" :oops: :lol:

You both give me something to think about. My son is getting ready to go to college in the fall and my husband and I are TTC. I had him when I was young and I've always wanted more children but the timing just never worked out sooner.

Oh dear, please don't change ideas based on what I've said. I think a lot of it has to do with their formerly militant child rearing that has just morphed into a complete dowhateverthehellyouwant because they are TIRED. SIL runs a muck because she is allowed- and encouraged- to. I can't wait until the teenager years arrive!

My grandfather had a brother and sister who were two to three years younger than him, then a sister who was 20 years younger. Apparently, nobody knew that my great-grandmother was pregnant until she went to the hospital one day and came back with a baby. My grandfather adored his youngest sister, but she wasn't treated well by my great-grandmother. As soon as she turned 18 and earned enough money, she moved to out west and rarely contacted the family again.

There's also an 18 year age gap between my MIL and her younger brother. My husband and BILs saw him as the "cool older brother," not an uncle.

My great-grandparents had thirteen kids. The oldest and the youngest are 27 years, nine months apart. Two sisters, one sister-in-law, and my great-grandmother had babies in the same year (the thirteenth child). The youngest wasn't as isolated as she might have been in a different family because there were always nieces and nephews around. Her parents died when she was 25 (mom--truck accident) and 47 (dad--he was 102!).

I really have to remember that TTC = trying to conceive. It always takes me a second of wondering, "Huh? They are tater tot casseroles?" :oops: :lol:

I think the same thing whenever I see it too ;)

Oh dear, please don't change ideas based on what I've said. I think a lot of it has to do with their formerly militant child rearing that has just morphed into a complete dowhateverthehellyouwant because they are TIRED. SIL runs a muck because she is allowed- and encouraged- to. I can't wait until the teenager years arrive!

Don't worry! We're more in the boat of either it will happen or it won't, and if it doesn't then that just gives us a lot more discretionary income to go on vacation and do things just for ourselves. I have noticed though, that people I know who had children later in life didn't seem to be as engaged in the nitty, gritty of parenting. I noticed a lot of them trying to rationalize with 3 and 4 year olds, which seemed sort of ridiculous to me. Consistency and discipline (not of the spanking or worst Pearl variety) didn't seem to be their strong suits and my take on it is that they were beyond exhausted and would do anything for a few moments of peace. Clearly this isn't the case for everyone and there are plenty things I did wrong with my son when he was young, but I will say I had enough energy to keep up with him and never felt the need to negotiate with him. Part of me does worry if we'll end up like some of my older friends if we have a child now, and then that child would turn out to be like some of the children described in this thread.

I had a friend in high school whose mother married a man in his 50s. The mom and stepdad had a son and the stepdad's kids from his first marriage were already in their late 20s and early 30s at the time. In large families, it is pretty common for their to be huge age gaps between the oldest and youngest child. My mom was the youngest of 8 kids and there is a 17 year gap between her and the oldest sibling. My dad is the second oldest of 8 kids and he was 18 when his youngest sibling was born.

As for the Muncks, I'm still not a huge fan of theirs. But they are one of more likable fundie families. They don't have the extreme anti-fun attitudes like the Maxwells and they aren't hateful like Zsu and PP. I think that baby will be ok.

I come some a small family (1 sister only child mother & father w/ 1 sibling). Not sure how I would feel if I had more. Can someone tell me how old the Muncks mother is.

I'm the youngest by a decade, but my parents were only in their 50s when I went to college, so I wasn't born that late. My parents said they thought it was easier to have a few children and then another child a while later instead of having X number of children below X+1 all at once, but if they didn't like starting the family over I would have been the last person they would have told.

I think the big family lifestyle is more appealing as long as you have some cute little kids running around. But it seems like a much harder sell once all the kids reach adulthood--they start making their own mistakes regardless of how well sheltered from the world they were as kids, and I guess it's a lot less fun to be like, "Look at all these adults we made!" So I kind of like the Muncks now--especially after they called off the Maxwell courtship--but I think my opinion of them will change when more of their kids get further into adulthood and the groups seems less cute.

One of my high school friends was an only up until she was 18 and her mother got pregnant with what was clearly an "oops" baby. Menopause? JUST KIDDING! Lindy was away at college (Boston) when her sister was born and for the first four years of the baby's life as well, and since she got a job in Boston after graduation, she and her sister were practically total strangers--no shared experiences, no connection whatsoever other than having the same parents. Kind of sad but really what could be done? I'm sure fundies would say that Lindy had no business going off to college when she could have stayed at home to mother her sister.

I'm 5 years older than my sister (miscarriage in between us) and 7 years older than my brother and when we were younger, even that short span of time seemed like eons.

Considering most fundies are joined at the hip and everyone does the same thing regardless of age, this probably isn't much of an issue.

My mother's husband is 22 years younger than his oldest sibling. They all have great relationships. I guess it just depends.

I have great relationships with my siblings and there is a 20+ year spread for us too. Although they do tend to say "my mom" like one of the above posters mentioned. That's not really a big deal though.

I wonder if Steve-o is upset that the Muncks turned their back on him and god still blessed them.

So yeah, unless Elizabeth and Joseph had been unexpectedly infertile, she and her mother would probably have been pregnant at the same time.

It probably wasn't very fun for Mama Munck to be in the first trimester when some of her other kids had the flu earlier this month.

Archived