IGNORED

Why I raise my kids without God.

formergothardite

At the Antiochian Orthodox church today, the archbishop was visiting and he specifically said our job is to keep the doors open and be welcoming to any who visit and seek information. We are not sent out knocking on doors and passing out literature. We also don't pursue people who show up asking questions.

It depends on the church culture, keeks. I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian, and we do not have this emphasis on soul winning and conversions. As a matter of fact, we have NO emphasis on soul winning or conversions. One of our priests explained the relationship between the Great Commandment and the Great Commission this way: If you are practicing the Great Commandment, the Great Commission will take care of itself. The theology puts a big emphasis on the fact that the only person's salvation that you need to be interested in is your own. Orthodoxy also does not believe in the doctrine of Original Sin, so we don't see human beings as totally depraved and deserving of hell as a Calvinist would.

I have to say this business of shoving your beliefs down everyone's throat with a side of ostentatious public peity is a uniquely evangelical protestant phenomenom. A non-convert Catholic, Orthodox, or Episcopalian is not taught that you have some sort of responsibility to tell everyone about Jesus. This is the 21st century, people know who he is and can get further information if they so choose.

That makes sense. I didn't consider the other cultures in Christianity because I came from a Holy Roller side.

I think I would be really weird in America :oops:

I'm an atheist, obviously ;) My nieces are raised by my bro who is a fundie atheist. They come out with things like "It's stupid to believe in God, right?" :oops: It's fair to say none of us are church attenders.

I also wondered once because I saw many Americans had a flag outside of their house. Of course, it was the US flag. I asked could I move to America and fly the workers' flag? The answer was "If you like getting the shit kicked out of you."

I think I would be really weird in America :oops:

I'm an atheist, obviously ;) My nieces are raised by my bro who is a fundie atheist. They come out with things like "It's stupid to believe in God, right?" :oops: It's fair to say none of us are church attenders.

I also wondered once because I saw many Americans had a flag outside of their house. Of course, it was the US flag. I asked could I move to America and fly the workers' flag? The answer was "If you like getting the shit kicked out of you."

It all depends on where you live. You can fly whatever flag you like in my part of the US. In a conservative, small townish part of the US, not so much.

I've seen there's a statue of Lenin even in America :lol: I suppose there it would be fine.

Small towns are conservative everywhere, eh. I hope nobody would be fighting here but there are things which would be, um, a mistake to do...

One of my friend's husband is a fundie atheist, and I do mean a FUNDIE atheist. He will preach it as hard as an evangelical will preach Jesus. He gives away copies of atheist polemics. Yeah, he's fun at a party. :roll:

Other than him, I have to say I have not met any other atheists or agnostics who will try and shove their beliefs down your throat.

One of my friend's husband is a fundie atheist, and I do mean a FUNDIE atheist. He will preach it as hard as an evangelical will preach Jesus. He gives away copies of atheist polemics. Yeah, he's fun at a party. :roll:

Other than him, I have to say I have not met any other atheists or agnostics who will try and shove their beliefs down your throat.

That's my bro. Not literally of course but you know what I mean :)

Just do not talk about religion and you are fine. Get him started, and no he'll not finish.

It depends on the church culture, keeks. I'm a Greek Orthodox Christian, and we do not have this emphasis on soul winning and conversions. As a matter of fact, we have NO emphasis on soul winning or conversions. One of our priests explained the relationship between the Great Commandment and the Great Commission this way: If you are practicing the Great Commandment, the Great Commission will take care of itself. The theology puts a big emphasis on the fact that the only person's salvation that you need to be interested in is your own. Orthodoxy also does not believe in the doctrine of Original Sin, so we don't see human beings as totally depraved and deserving of hell as a Calvinist would.

I have to say this business of shoving your beliefs down everyone's throat with a side of ostentatious public peity is a uniquely evangelical protestant phenomenom. A non-convert Catholic, Orthodox, or Episcopalian is not taught that you have some sort of responsibility to tell everyone about Jesus. This is the 21st century, people know who he is and can get further information if they so choose.

Growing up in 84% catholic Ireland, I never encountered evangelism in my life. To me, it was always an American-bible-belt-born-again thing. Like the JWs at the door, to be avoided like the plague.

I think here is the Bible belt it might be a little bit more crazy religious than in the rest of America. When I'm in a waiting room and someone tries to make small talk, one of the first questions is "Where do you go to church". It isn't "Do you go to church" everyone just seems to assume you have some sort of church you at least go to on major religious holidays. And once they find out I don't go to church, it turns into a thing where they spend the rest of the time trying to get me to go to their church. And if I dare to mention I don't believe in god, I get looks of horror and people act like they are sitting there with a serial killer.

I think here is the Bible belt it might be a little bit more crazy religious than in the rest of America. When I'm in a waiting room and someone tries to make small talk, one of the first questions is "Where do you go to church". It isn't "Do you go to church" everyone just seems to assume you have some sort of church you at least go to on major religious holidays. And once they find out I don't go to church, it turns into a thing where they spend the rest of the time trying to get me to go to their church. And if I dare to mention I don't believe in god, I get looks of horror and people act like they are sitting there with a serial killer.

Oh dear god that is just alien to me. I don't think I could live in that society if I were a non believer. I would just feel uneasy all the time.

In my neck of the woods (Scandinavia) agnosticism or atheism or some sort of "I know there's more between heaven and earth, but I don't know what" is the general and expected "belief". So what I experience most of the time when "coming out" as Christian is that people start telling me what I believe as in "How can you believe in X, Y and Z?!!!" Usually along the lines of being against homo-sexuality, gender equality or whether I haven't heard of the crusades, I'm a feminist activist and a History-teacher, I'll leave it to you to guess the answers... Very, very rarely do I get an honest "Oh, so Christian what does that mean to you?".

If a conversation naturally goes there I'm ready and willing to share what I believe, but I don't go around asking people what their relationship-status is with Jesus or whether "They consider themselves to be a good person".

In my neck of the woods (Scandinavia) agnosticism or atheism or some sort of "I know there's more between heaven and earth, but I don't know what" is the general and expected "belief". So what I experience most of the time when "coming out" as Christian is that people start telling me what I believe as in "How can you believe in X, Y and Z?!!!" Usually along the lines of being against homo-sexuality, gender equality or whether I haven't heard of the crusades, I'm a feminist activist and a History-teacher, I'll leave it to you to guess the answers... Very, very rarely do I get an honest "Oh, so Christian what does that mean to you?".

If a conversation naturally goes there I'm ready and willing to share what I believe, but I don't go around asking people what their relationship-status is with Jesus or whether "They consider themselves to be a good person".

I love your pseudonym, mother of Oedipus and the name of my sorority 'year club' about 100 years ago..... :roll:

In Holland one rather comes out of the christian closet than the other way around. Faith issues are rarely discussed and are also a kind of undesirable and considered a private matter. A few times when liquor is involved religion might be discussed but the believer runs the risk of being ridiculed, for the record, not by me. I find discussions about faith an religion extremely boring, most uninteresting and a waste of time.

I love your pseudonym, mother of Oedipus and the name of my sorority 'year club' about 100 years ago..... :roll:

In Holland one rather comes out of the christian closet than the other way around. Faith issues are rarely discussed and are also a kind of undesirable and considered a private matter. A few times when liquor is involved religion might be discussed but the believer runs the risk of being ridiculed, for the record, not by me. I find discussions about faith an religion extremely boring, most uninteresting and a waste of time.

Thank you! I chose the name, because the fundie-families remind me of the twisted family-trees and dynamics of Greek mythology :D

Just out of quriosity, what's the appeal of this board if you find the discussion of religion extremely boring?

Just out of quriosity, what's the appeal of this board if you find the discussion of religion extremely boring?

Snarking.

Snarking.

:lol: :clap:

:lol: :clap:

Fundies bring out the worst in me, so once in awhile I really enjoy to anonymously expose my dark side.

Fundies bring out the worst in me, so once in awhile I really enjoy to anonymously expose my dark side.

I love religion - I find it fascinating. All religions. World religion was my favorite class in college! But I find it fascinating because of the history and the reasons people started believing as they do, how the religions came to be, and what comforts people find in them. I have nothing against religion in general as a nonbeliever - I just have issue when people use it to try to control my life and that of society at large, oppress people, justify violence, or try to push it on me.

I love religion - I find it fascinating. All religions. World religion was my favorite class in college! But I find it fascinating because of the history and the reasons people started believing as they do, how the religions came to be, and what comforts people find in them. I have nothing against religion in general as a nonbeliever - I just have issue when people use it to try to control my life and that of society at large, oppress people, justify violence, or try to push it on me.

I think that religion is very fascinating. Heck, I even like rosaries and tarot cards. They both seem artistic and beautiful to me. I told my husband that I want a statue from every religion to sit on my little 'altar' I don't believe in deities but I often like the stories behind them. Plus I understand why someone seeks out religion. The human mind was made to find patterns in randomness. Of course, we are going to look for the deeper meaning behind life. That doesn't mean that there is a deeper meaning but it is an understandable search.

I think that religion is very fascinating. Heck, I even like rosaries and tarot cards. They both seem artistic and beautiful to me. I told my husband that I want a statue from every religion to sit on my little 'altar' I don't believe in deities but I often like the stories behind them. Plus I understand why someone seeks out religion. The human mind was made to find patterns in randomness. Of course, we are going to look for the deeper meaning behind life. That doesn't mean that there is a deeper meaning but it is an understandable search.

I don't like religious discussions as in theological debates, quoting the bible and proving god exists and the like. When I was young (and already not a religious bone in my body) I was attending mass, the boring part always was the sermon, epistles and the gospel. I find people, in particular fundies, still believing in god fascinating from a psychological point of view. Of course we didn't raise our children with religion but we made sure they took knowledge of it. It is important to learn about it to make one understand history/culture, literature and all forms of art. Obviously my mother was a devout catholic and took our boys to church every now and then and we as parents were fine with that. They were toddlers when their paternal grandparents died and because death is such an abstract concept for young children, I told them without hesitation that they went to heaven. From the moment we were able to explain 'death' we told them, we personally didn't believe in god, heaven and hell.

Archived