IGNORED

Kids only die of measles if their nutrition is bad....

Wolfie

I was 2 when I was taken to a measles party this was in the UK my mothers logic was to catch it young. I was in a darkened room for 3 weeks I was told by my aunt. I have vision problems and hearing loss. My mother still thinks she did it right. I'm 47 now. I vacc all the kids sod them getting that ill.

They had measles parties??? Wild. Chicken pox parties are bad enough.

Considering polio epidemics didn't happen until cities got basic sanitation down, that explanation is hilarious. :lol:

Polio can be transmitted via fecal matter, and back in the days where there was shit everywhere, everyone was exposed to it and built up immunities. It's only once the cities cleaned up that polio exposure dropped and so when the virus came in contact with unresistent humans they got super sick. If you've every wondered why polio isn't included as a public health menace from 1700s/1800s literature, it's because there weren't many epidemics until the 20th century.

There used to be outbreaks fairly regularly in Ancient Rome. They called in the "summer paralysis".

ETA: Also, not everyone who contracts/contracted the virus developed poliomyelitis. For most, it was a simple gastroenteritis-like illness.

The Duggars only vaccinated Josie b/c the Children's Hospital would not let her leave the hospital unless

she was vaccinated. My undestanding is that the other children are not vaccinated.

They did not receive the chicken pox vaccine and there was an episode where most of the kids came down with

it. Then JimBoob made his infamous and incorrect statement on national tv that "now that you've had the chicken pox,

you will never have shingles".

The stupidity hurts.

I think TLC should do a "pop up video" version of all of JimBoob's inaccurate and incorrect statements.

I had an uncle who contracted polio as a child. He survived it, but it stays inside your body, and

came back when he was an older adult. I think it is called "post polio syndrome" or something like that.

It causes your muscles to atrophy.

You don't ever want polio. It was awful to watch him suffer. He could barely walk or move around.

I think vaccinations are our greatest public health achievement of the last century.

There used to be outbreaks fairly regularly in Ancient Rome. They called in the "summer paralysis".

ETA: Also, not everyone who contracts/contracted the virus developed poliomyelitis. For most, it was a simple gastroenteritis-like illness.

That makes sense about Rome, because the city had a good sanitation system, better than most medieval or early modern cities.

I had an uncle who contracted polio as a child. He survived it, but it stays inside your body, and

came back when he was an older adult. I think it is called "post polio syndrome" or something like that.

It causes your muscles to atrophy.

You don't ever want polio. It was awful to watch him suffer. He could barely walk or move around.

I think vaccinations are our greatest public health achievement of the last century.

Yep. I have a friend whose mother has post polio syndrome.

My husband was a late in life third baby born to parents in their 40s 40 years ago. So my sister in law remembers things like polio and smallpox. And it always suprises mme.

One of my mother's sisters died from polio ~ that would have been sometime in the 50s.

I used to have a lot of anti-vax "friends" within fundie-dom... we were late to the party and the older steps had gotten all their shots; they felt bad for us. *eyeroll*

My toddler is totally up to date. We also do flu shots. Even if the flu might not be *dangerous* to us (and who knows) I'd rather not catch it and pass it to someone for whom it could be.

The Duggars only vaccinated Josie b/c the Children's Hospital would not let her leave the hospital unless

she was vaccinated. My undestanding is that the other children are not vaccinated.

They did not receive the chicken pox vaccine and there was an episode where most of the kids came down with

it. Then JimBoob made his infamous and incorrect statement on national tv that "now that you've had the chicken pox,

you will never have shingles".

The stupidity hurts.

I think TLC should do a "pop up video" version of all of JimBoob's inaccurate and incorrect statements.

QFT

Yes!!!! TLC has a responsibility to let their viewers know that not everything that comes out of the Duggars' mouths is truthful and that it could be very harmful actually. It might piss off the leghumpers, but infectious disease is nothing to joke about. You can most definitely get shingles after you've had chickenpox, because that is the form the virus takes after the initial infection. These ignorant no-vac pieces of shit really upset me.

I was born in 1952. Polio was widespread when I was very young, and the Salk and Sabin vaccines were lifesavers. It seemed we were lining up in the school cafeteria for shots every fifteen minutes. (We also got free dental fluoride treatments and dental exams when I was in gradeschool, and free in-school physical exams when I was in junior high [5th-8th grades].)

When I was a kid, all of us got chicken pox, measles, mumps, and German measles (rubella). I remember those illnesses all too well (mumps were excruciating!), and thank God kids today can be immunized against them. In 1964, around the time they discovered a link between rubella and "birth defects," my middle sister caught rubella while Mom was pregnant with our youngest sister. At the time, it wasn't known that a pregnant mother would have to contract the disease in order for her baby to be affected, so my mother went through months of worry. There was a virtual epidemic of rubella in the US in the mid-'60s, and record numbers of blind, deaf, and blind-deaf babies were born then.

I was 2 when I was taken to a measles party this was in the UK my mothers logic was to catch it young. I was in a darkened room for 3 weeks I was told by my aunt. I have vision problems and hearing loss. My mother still thinks she did it right. I'm 47 now. I vacc all the kids sod them getting that ill.

Those measles party had a comeback a few years ago in the UK. There was a spike in measles case after that including children that had to be hospitalized.

The fact is, while the disease is relatively "harmless" for a big chunk of people, it can be life threatening for a small number and result in life long health consequences for the survivors (as you noted). I would never endanger my children by exposing them to something that can have such fatal consequences. Your chances of a bad result from a vaccination is far, far smaller than exposure to the actual disease. It's weird that in this age of unfettered access to the internet, parents who endeavor to study up on modern vaccination can't figure out how to read a proper science journal and instead go to some quack site with pretty pictures.

QFT

Yes!!!! TLC has a responsibility to let their viewers know that not everything that comes out of the Duggars' mouths is truthful and that it could be very harmful actually. It might piss off the leghumpers, but infectious disease is nothing to joke about. You can most definitely get shingles after you've had chickenpox, because that is the form the virus takes after the initial infection. These ignorant no-vac pieces of shit really upset me.

This. Both my grandma and mom had shingles, and it was especially painful for my grandma who is going to be 90 this year. My dad even got the shingles vaccine at his last doctor's appointment because he had chickenpox as a child. As for other vaccines, both of my parents remember the fear of polio outbreaks, as well as measles.

Guest Anonymous

I think CHEESESLAVE has taken down the photo/comments. The discussion had taken a turn toward vaccines/healthcare, so it was briskly swept under the carpet. Instead there is a passive-aggressive, not-quite-logical, eCard thingy* about how unsafe vaccinations are. There are also plenty of pictures of food (all rich enough to give you the cholesterol equivalent of a contact high).

*What are they called?

ETA: They're just called eCards! Wow, I need sleep.

ETA 2: The picture/comments have not been taken down. As it turns out, my phone was just being difficult and showing me old entries! So ignore the above.

Archived