IGNORED

Kids only die of measles if their nutrition is bad....

Wolfie

Well that is interesting....I have no idea as to the actual accuracy, but I have to assume it isn't. When I lived abroad and was working with (settled, fed, usually employed) refugees there was an infant with measles who died as I sat with his mother.

I though cheese slave was that wife. Ha!

Also, it isn't like measles is the only disease that kills children. Typhoid, dysentery, hep a and hep b, and malaria are all common in the general areas of Africa where you would take a picture like this.

Why do people who think prayer does more for a sick person than actual medical care... they can give any advice in nutrition and disease related issues? Pseudo scientific bullshit is worse than plain medieval ignorance. Just freaking pray and shut the hell up. Don't try to act like you have knowledge of anything. You don't. And don't. I know they'd like to sound smart and educated, and knowledge is a good thing but if you refuse proper education, stop coming up with crap that you made up in your silly little head.

Malnutrition certainly doesn't help any illness, but it is certainly not the only or even primary thing standing between life and death! Sheesh. :roll:

These are people that don't believe in vaccinations anyway, and are so hard-headed and brainwashed that even the best medical experts won't be able to convince them.

Well, a common refrain of anti-vaxers is that better hygiene and nutrition is the reason for sharp decreases in infant and child mortality, not vaccination and other modern medicine discoveries. My mother grew up in a third world country at a time when vaccinations and penicillin became common and cheap. The fact that her older siblings died and she lived was not because grandmother discovered soap or discovered a new source of protein.

Yeah, it's kind of like my mom who got measles even though she was eating a diet like these people espouse, though they would insist that she survived because of it. Yeah, after weeks in a dark room, by herself! Or my grandpa who had a heart murmur from scarlet fever....

Yes, I think that they are crazy. I'm waiting for several of them to have heart attacks after a decade or so on this diet.

Guest Anonymous

I don't really understand the picture/captions. Can someone please explain? I think I get the point they're trying to make about school and television, but I don't understand what they're trying to say about drugs (and how it fits in).

Yeah, it's kind of like my mom who got measles even though she was eating a diet like these people espouse, though they would insist that she survived because of it. Yeah, after weeks in a dark room, by herself! Or my grandpa who had a heart murmur from scarlet fever....

Yes, I think that they are crazy. I'm waiting for several of them to have heart attacks after a decade or so on this diet.

I hardly survived measles, well 62 years ago and I wasn't exactly malnourished.... :lol:

I though cheese slave was that wife. Ha!

Also, it isn't like measles is the only disease that kills children. Typhoid, dysentery, hep a and hep b, and malaria are all common in the general areas of Africa where you would take a picture like this.

So did I. I thought the moniker was an unusual stroke of self awareness from her.

Do you think the Duggars vax? They seem pretty on top of dentistry and medical care in pregnancy. And surely they vacc'd their micro premie?

I was born in the late 1970's, in Birmingham, UK. Because I was covered head to foot in eczema with no known cause, the doctor refused to vaccinate me.

I caught everything.

The girl I caught measles off either died or nearly died (I'm a little hazy on the details. My mother gets tight-lipped and refuses to talk about it, even to this day).

We were not malnourished, or living in slum conditions, and still, when measles went through my primary school class a child nearly died, one wears a hearing aid to this day and one nearly went blind.

You can take your "vaccinations are of the devil" screed, fold it until it's all corners, and shove it somewhere. Sideways. And then sit down and have a heart-to-heart with my mother about what happened when both her children and her husband caught whooping cough at the same time.

Bollocks. My dad was born in the country and though they were dirt poor they actually had a fantastic diet (thanks to a lot of 'borrowing' fruit from orchards/pheasants from woods etc but shh) yet there was still kids dying and really suffering from childhood illnesses Not everyone pre-vax was eating thin gruel and dusty bread FFS.

Vaccinations are great. Only in this day and age would you have people wetting their knickers over something that will stop loads of kids dying. So what if there are aborted fetus cells in vaccinations? I don't want the living, breathing kids around me to end up brain damaged, infertile, or dead.

I put this one up there with 'the only reason women died in childbirth pre-hospitals was because of bad sanitation and disease'

Also that advert is pretty sickening.

I don't really understand the picture/captions. Can someone please explain? I think I get the point they're trying to make about school and television, but I don't understand what they're trying to say about drugs (and how it fits in).

I would say it's something to do with the idea that so many kids these days are on Ritalin and that.

I am sure they had an episode where one of the babies, maybe Josie, had to get her jabs. I think they do vax, though.

The episode where they got Josie vaccinations seemed to be an STFU Internet in response to the negative comments over the episode where nearly all of the children got the chicken pox.

I put this one up there with 'the only reason women died in childbirth pre-hospitals was because of bad sanitation and disease'

Rickets in childhood leading to a deformed pelvis and the baby getting stuck, and either death from exhaustion after labouring for days, or from sepsis after the baby died inside you.

They can talk to my friend with polio or my friend who lost a brother due to measles. This was back before vaccinations. They were both middle class americans. They had proper nutrition and hygiene because their parents lived in fear of them catching one of the diseases.

Fucking ass-hats! I dont have a problem with an adult choosing not to vaccinate themselves, but I consider it child abuse to deny your child vaccinations for common diseases.

FYI: Utah has a measles outbreak at least once a year. If the plague carrying rat was a child, then all children who had not been vaccinated in that school district are not allowed to go to school for at least 2 week. Same goes for teachers. They also keep pregnant teachers, or high teachers that are at a high risk home just as a precaution.

Well, a common refrain of anti-vaxers is that better hygiene and nutrition is the reason for sharp decreases in infant and child mortality, not vaccination and other modern medicine discoveries. My mother grew up in a third world country at a time when vaccinations and penicillin became common and cheap. The fact that her older siblings died and she lived was not because grandmother discovered soap or discovered a new source of protein.
Considering polio epidemics didn't happen until cities got basic sanitation down, that explanation is hilarious. :lol:

Polio can be transmitted via fecal matter, and back in the days where there was shit everywhere, everyone was exposed to it and built up immunities. It's only once the cities cleaned up that polio exposure dropped and so when the virus came in contact with unresistent humans they got super sick. If you've every wondered why polio isn't included as a public health menace from 1700s/1800s literature, it's because there weren't many epidemics until the 20th century.

Was it any less deadly or disabling, though? But less obvious because instead of a thousand children a year dying there were five thousand every five years? Anything I can read on the topic?

I hardly survived measles, well 62 years ago and I wasn't exactly malnourished.... :lol:

Same here, one of my first memories is about how sick I was.

I was 2 when I was taken to a measles party this was in the UK my mothers logic was to catch it young. I was in a darkened room for 3 weeks I was told by my aunt. I have vision problems and hearing loss. My mother still thinks she did it right. I'm 47 now. I vacc all the kids sod them getting that ill.

Archived